The First Team Squad, The Embargo And The Uncertainties

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

So Jamie Vardy and David Eyres should have stayed in non league at 25yo? Obviously many thought they would never improve by your reckoning.

Look it's all about opinions on here and everyone is entitles to their views. 

Mine is he's no Jamie Vardy or David Eyres...!

Both are intelegent players who made the most of their key assets. Not sure Callum has one appart from chasing the ball around aimlessly most of the time.

Be honest and taking any emotion out of it...would you retain him if you had a tight budget and could only run a small squad? We probably replaced Garrity with him and look what he's doing this year. I can guess what most answers would be.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think Whelan is one of our better players. Weird isn’t it. Least he can pass a ball. Is a bit slow on it sometimes and weak but he’s technically pretty good. 

Having lived to see Omrani and Garrity (OAFC version) in midfield we've definitely had worse 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Look it's all about opinions on here and everyone is entitles to their views. 

Mine is he's no Jamie Vardy or David Eyres...!

Both are intelegent players who made the most of their key assets. Not sure Callum has one appart from chasing the ball around aimlessly most of the time.

Be honest and taking any emotion out of it...would you retain him if you had a tight budget and could only run a small squad? We probably replaced Garrity with him and look what he's doing this year. I can guess what most answers would be.

You say he's no Jamie Vardy or David Eryes because because they made it since to high level football, what would have been your judgement when they were playing 8th grade football?

They were too old or set in their ways I reckon like many league clubs thought.

Let's see how Whelan shapes in a couple of years time. Far better IMO.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, BP1960 said:

You say he's no Jamie Vardy or David Eryes because because they made it since to high level football, what would have been your judgement when they were playing 8th grade football?

They were too old or set in their ways I reckon like many league clubs thought.

Let's see how Whelan shapes in a couple of years time. Far better IMO.

Callum Whelan has acquired the nickname of “The Crab” among fans because his tendency to pass sideways or backwards. He can’t tackle, can’t head a ball (except vertically) and is VERY easily pushed off the ball, costing us goals on at least three occasions. He is, basically, no good. Needs to go at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, The Greek said:

Callum Whelan has acquired the nickname of “The Crab” among fans because his tendency to pass sideways or backwards. He can’t tackle, can’t head a ball (except vertically) and is VERY easily pushed off the ball, costing us goals on at least three occasions. He is, basically, no good. Needs to go at the end of the season.

I've learned never judge a young player on what he's like now, give them 2 more years of experience and they may become stronger and far better players.

Wasn't Ray Wilkins called the crab when at Man United?

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've learned never judge a young player on what he's like now, give them 2 more years of experience and they may become stronger and far better players.

Wasn't Ray Wilkins called the crab when at Man United?

Whilst I agree BP (Cameron Burgess being an example)

We simply do not have the luxury of carrying players for 2 or 3 years till they become good 

He shows glimpses but not often enough- the fact he was announced as MOTM as the ball bounced off his shin and out of play for the umpteenth time against Rochdale (or Scunthorpe) says it all 

To get out of this league we need players who can do it now - not in 3 years time unless we want out of the league the opposite way 

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Whilst I agree BP (Cameron Burgess being an example)

We simply do not have the luxury of carrying players for 2 or 3 years till they become good 

He shows glimpses but not often enough- the fact he was announced as MOTM as the ball bounced off his shin and out of play for the umpteenth time against Rochdale (or Scunthorpe) says it all 

To get out of this league we need players who can do it now - not in 3 years time unless we want out of the league the opposite way 

At £800 a week we won't  get much better so let's stick with him.

14 hours ago, The Greek said:

How astute, you seem to have captured all his skills.

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

At £800 a week we won't  get much better so let's stick with him.

At £800 per week I’m sure there are players of equal or greater ability, eg our old player Garrity at PV.

I mentioned it before, hold trials at BP over the summer for released players who will play for 800.00 per week.

For the younger posters on here, that’s how we found Mike Flynn who went on to be a fantastic centre half.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I never knew that, thanks for pointing this out. 

The loan was due to be paid back by a year of solidarity payments.  Kind of irrelevant though as I can't see the current owner suddenly stumping up big wages

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

With no embargo there should be no restrictions on what wages can be paid.

What will AL pay though? my guess for new recruits  £800 or less so we will likely remain as we are.

Archived