The First Team Squad, The Embargo And The Uncertainties

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Well I don't think he's got any chance of getting what he wants for the club, regardless of what division we are in, 95% of the fan base can't stand him, he's got a few saleable assets. If i was him, i'd sell all assets, pay myself my directors loans with the income, take what i can for the club and never step foot in Oldham again and put it down to a bad experience. I certainly wouldn't be paying a new manager or any transfer fees, decent wages etc.

When was the last time he set foot in Oldham? 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LaticMark said:

The EFL describe "Professional Standing" as "any Player who has made one first team appearance (including as a sub) for any Club in any first team competition (EFL Trophy appearances do not count)" and "a player of Professional Standing leaving the Club on loan does not reduce the number of eligible players the Club is deemed to have."

Which suggests that we're already over our quota...? 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

That's when I recall him being here last, wasn't it in October. 

Possibly, think he was here for a couple of games, so 10 days or so. I certainly don't think there is anything for him to come back for but that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

Rumour has it, the signings of Missilou and the lad from Sheff Wednesday haven't been approved by the EFL yet and won't be able to play. I'm guessing it's part of the embargo 

The EFL must be scrutinising every move the club makes.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth reviving I think after yesterday with some significant new uncertainties thrown our way.  Shocker...

It is clear that ourselves, Scunthorpe and Swindon remain under embargo unless the EFL are equally useless as the club in updating important information, which I suppose can't be ruled out completely!

This is the best understanding I can get of the situation but I can't guarantee it's spot on

1.   We can have a maximum of 23 players of professional standing (that is any player who has played at first team level in any competition bar the pizza cup) in the squad

2.  We cannot pay a transfer fee for any player; we can only sign players out of contract or loanees

3.  Loans can be for a maximum of 6 months (it is unclear whether one player could be here for successive loan periods)

4.  Contracts for new signings can only be for a maximum of one year

5.  Contracts for new signings can only be for a maximum of £800pw

6.  If the squad is at the maximum of 23 youth players already at the club can be given contracts and added to the squad, (thereby exceeding 23)

We currently have 23 players in the first team squad who meet the criteria to be classified as professional players:

GKs:  Leutwiler, Rogers (2)

Defenders: Clarke, Hart, McGahey, Piergianni, Jameson, Diarra, Couto (7)

Midfielders:  Cisse, Adams, Whelan, Keillor-Dunn, Fage, Stobbs, Bahamboula, Hunt, Hopcutt, Missilou, Vaughan (11)

Forwards:   Hope, Luamba, Fondop (replacing Dearnley) (3)

Total 23

Although the EFL rules allow some leeway to exceed the cap of 23 in terms of youth players the fact that we are exactly at it suggest to me that it hasn't been granted.

The paying off of Dearnley and the apparent attempts to offload another three are puzzling.  It seems completely incompatible with the terms of the embargo that a club could simply agree to pay up the salaries of a batch of players and  then sign some more.  In financial terms that's no different to signing more players which leads us to the conclusion that either:

1. the reported attempts to do so were inaccurate

2. that the club didn't understand the implications

3. that the EFL rules are nonsensical

All three seem entirely possible! 

If we did, unsuccessfully, try to ship out three players and tell them that they wouldn't be playing again then effectively the squad is down to 20.  It's possible that the numbers may be beefed up a little through the introduction of more youths to the first team; Simms appears to be the closest.  Unless the EFL exercise discretion it appears that the lads out on loan who have played for the first team (Sutton, Modi) won't be able to play senior football for us.

The apparent fact that we are at maximum numbers would seem to rule out picking up any free agents who may be floating around.

There remains plenty of conjecture in there because we simply don't know all the facts

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Worth reviving I think after yesterday with some significant new uncertainties thrown our way.  Shocker...

It is clear that ourselves, Scunthorpe and Swindon remain under embargo unless the EFL are equally useless as the club in updating important information, which I suppose can't be ruled out completely!

This is the best understanding I can get of the situation but I can't guarantee it's spot on

1.   We can have a maximum of 23 players of professional standing (that is any player who has played at first team level in any competition bar the pizza cup) in the squad

2.  We cannot pay a transfer fee for any player; we can only sign players out of contract or loanees

3.  Loans can be for a maximum of 6 months (it is unclear whether one player could be here for successive loan periods)

6.  If the squad is at the maximum of 23 youth players already at the club can be given contracts and added to the squad, (thereby exceeding 23)

We currently have 23 players in the first team squad who meet the criteria to be classified as professional players:

Midfielders:  Cisse, Adams, Whelan, Keillor-Dunn, Fage, Stobbs, Bahamboula, Hunt, Hopcutt, Missilou, Vaughan (11)

Total 23

Although the EFL rules allow some leeway to exceed the cap of 23 in terms of youth players the fact that we are exactly at it suggest to me that it hasn't been granted.

The paying off of Dearnley and the apparent attempts to offload another three are puzzling.  It seems completely incompatible with the terms of the embargo that a club could simply agree to pay up the salaries of a batch of players and  then sign some more.  In financial terms that's no different to signing more players which leads us to the conclusion that either:

If we did, unsuccessfully, try to ship out three players and tell them that they wouldn't be playing again then effectively the squad is down to 20.  It's possible that the numbers may be beefed up a little through the introduction of more youths to the first team; Simms appears to be the closest.  Unless the EFL exercise discretion it appears that the lads out on loan who have played for the first team (Sutton, Modi) won't be able to play senior football for us.

The apparent fact that we are at maximum numbers would seem to rule out picking up any free agents who may be floating around.

There remains plenty of conjecture in there because we simply don't know all the facts

11 midfielders!!!

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It seems completely incompatible with the terms of the embargo that a club could simply agree to pay up the salaries of a batch of players and  then sign some more.  In financial terms that's no different to signing more players

It could be a loophole as those players will no longer be registered at the club and therefore not part of the 23 players allowed?

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It could be a loophole as those players will no longer be registered at the club and therefore not part of the 23 players allowed?

I think that falls under option 3. - the EFL Rules are nonsensical

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Total 23

You can't really do much more than this, Dave. Thanks 👍🏻.

That last paragraph tho 😬 Shouldn't be acceptable that almost 100% of the fanbase is at best 'unsure' of our situation and even that's because you have single handedly dragged a sizeable chunk of us there from 'havent a clue'.

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

You can't really do much more than this, Dave. Thanks 👍🏻.

That last paragraph tho 😬 Shouldn't be acceptable that almost 100% of the fanbase is at best 'unsure' of our situation and even that's because you have single handedly dragged a sizeable chunk of us there from 'havent a clue'.

Well the original post started with:

Typically, the club's lack of openness has led to misunderstandings of the extent of the restrictions that impinge on the club's freedom to build a competitive first team squad. 

Nothing's changed there!

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Total 23

Excellent information thank you. My guess on the players we were trying to ship out is that we would have been offering a mutual termination with no money. Given his past form, I really can't imagine Abdallah paying up contracts in full. Dearnley would have agreed because he already had a deal lined up, but I would guess the others didn't and hence refused to mutually terminate as they would have been left without a job.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Excellent information thank you. My guess on the players we were trying to ship out is that we would have been offering a mutual termination with no money. Given his past form, I really can't imagine Abdallah paying up contracts in full. Dearnley would have agreed because he already had a deal lined up, but I would guess the others didn't and hence refused to mutually terminate as they would have been left without a job.

Can't see much mutual about a termination with no money - they'd have to be insane!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:03 AM, PeteG said:

Possibly, think he was here for a couple of games, so 10 days or so. I certainly don't think there is anything for him to come back for but that's just my opinion.

Would he not have to come back into the country if a sale of the club goes ahead to sign paperwork and complete administative duties, etc (Even in the electronic age)?. Same maybe for administration. Won't have to be done in Oldham, but if he lands in the country could be a sign something is happening.

I had to liquidate a company and had to have lots of face to faces to do the paperwork.

I may be wrong

Archived