MATCH: vs Aldershot Town (H) 26/08/22

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvin Andrew was less than impressed with Fondop on the commentary and said that his lack of movement was causing us major problems.  I think Fondop would probably be better with a quick striker close to him and probably some better wide players as he seems to be decent at getting on the end of crosses. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Aldershot were the better side 1st half but after 65 minutes they were blowing out of their arses, we would have gone on to win that quite easy if Fondop buries that header. Silly mistakes are going to cost us dear though if we don't tighten up. 

We’d have been better if he didn’t play. He’s no good. 

Great atmosphere towards the end in particular which looked to lift the team.

The new left back needs to.learn tne other players names as he was silent out in front of us in the JRS.

Need to sort out the silly mistakes, lack of concentration etc, and bring in some one like McCalmont to link forwards and tollit.

Onwards and upwards.

Wasn't Gardner at fault for their goal and very nearly gave the ball away in a dangerous area, my man of the match was Sheron who didn't put a foot wrong and organised the defence well, much of our better play went through him.

Norman steady enough, no chance with the goal he has some kick on him.

Clarke steady again, thought McGahey had some great moments, read the game well but couldn't sort his feet out a couple of times, Roberts was the better of the two signings and slotted in well and was more of an outlet than Angol down the left.

Gardner great goal, controlled the game but sloppy on occasions, Tollitt and Burgess are good running at defenders but both are weak and have a tendency to lose or give the ball away in dangerous areas. Other new lad Threlkeld looked lost at times he might need time to settle in, Cooper nice cameo, lovely ball for Hope to score the winner, killer pass took the whole defence out. Hope worked tirelessly all game and deserved that goal, up with Sheron and Gardner for man of the match for me, Vaughan couldn't get in to the game and probably needs some studs in his boots.

Fondop was disappointing at times he couldn't even be arsed to jump or close a man down, unless it was within a yard of him he'd give up, Luamba had no time at all.

All in all better performance, some of the link up play was decent but still a striker away from being up there Fondop just doesn't look like he has a goal in him, Aldershot still could of pinched a point but I think we just deserved it.

Can't believe the criticism of Fondop, won virtually every header but no one reads it. He can only flick it on or back but never had anybody supporting him. He held it up well when played into him on the floor.

The only decent cross we put in all night from wide could have been headed better but thought he had a very solid game.

Our midfielders never make runs into the box , get some support around him and it will make him look better .

1 minute ago, losesome said:

Can't believe the criticism of Fondop, won virtually every header but no one reads it. He can only flick it on or back but never had anybody supporting him. He held it up well when played into him on the floor.

The only decent cross we put in all night from wide could have been headed better but thought he had a very solid game.

Our midfielders never make runs into the box , get some support around him and it will make him look better .

He's either lazy or grossly unfit or maybe a bit of both, everyone has different opinions but if that's a solid game from him we are fucked

13 minutes ago, losesome said:

The criticism was that he was just standing in a tiny area offering no movement.  I agree about the lack of decent crosses as we saw last season when he scored on his debut that he can get on the end of them 

5 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Did Aldershot fans make any noise? I didn't hear anything from 'em and I was in the RRE. I honestly don't envy the travelling support in the Chaddy End. Such a run down depressing stand. 

Always the case. Acoustics... Probably worthy of a discussion on here? Them were the days. You could hear them Chaddy side of the paddock.

Thought we were shit tonight but didn't see the Wealdstone game... Look a bit clueless final third. That said, 5 games in, mid-table, average start. It could be worse. Early days. I do think there's enough quality to be at the right end of the table.

17 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

Calvin Andrew was less than impressed with Fondop on the commentary and said that his lack of movement was causing us major problems.  I think Fondop would probably be better with a quick striker close to him and probably some better wide players as he seems to be decent at getting on the end of crosses. 

As limited as he is at times there wasn't a blue shirt within 20 yards of him. Makes no sense to play a big lu... ahem, target man and then have no one near him to win his knockdowns. 

We looked much more effective once we went 442. Toillet is totally wasted in midfield, play 442 with him on one side and Burgess (impressive tonight) on the other and two through the middle and we'll be much better in my opinion. 

New lads were solid, Oscar gave us a bit of steel in the centre and Roberts got forward well.

Aldershot looked alright in the first half but then seemed to settle for a draw in the 2nd.

Lot of work to be done, but a win is a win 

27 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

I'm gonna stick up for Fondop here. I thought he was Aldershot's best defender...

17 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Did Aldershot fans make any noise? I didn't hear anything from 'em and I was in the RRE. I honestly don't envy the travelling support in the Chaddy End. Such a run down depressing stand. 

Luckily they're being moved after the Chesterfield game and the family stand is being relocated to the Chaddy End...

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Luckily they're being moved after the Chesterfield game and the family stand is being relocated to the Chaddy End...

That's shit if true, why wouldn't you want the young fans by the Athleticos, makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That's shit if true, why wouldn't you want the young fans by the Athleticos, makes no sense.

I'd never thought of this before until @tGWBmentioned it on Twitter. I've then watched my two (which included shirts off and heckling the Aldershot keeper) in the family stand and they've said they want to be closer to the Athleticos. So instead of the Chaday End, I'll probably move to one of the quieter sections of the Frizzell stand...

That was much better, but still room for lots of improvement.  And I think that things will get better from now on. We are on a big learning curve but I believe that there is a lot more to come.

My man of the match was Hope, and I decided that before he scored the winner, the new lad a left back looked quality, whilst Sheron looked cool and composed at the back.

I agree with others that the Athleticos are a total breath of fresh air, they have improved the atmosphere in the ground 10 fold. Shame about the total idiots who got on the pitch, grow up ya pillocks.

Thought the lad from Bratford put his foot in and had a decent game considering he’d only played on Wednesday night for them and arrived to us yesterday..

Right we won and i want to be positive but Fondop is absolutely shite, if the ball comes to him his second touch is an attempt at a tackle as it always bounces off him..Burgess had a stinker of a game and i would have taken him off 20 mins earlier..

I thought Sheron and McGahey looked decent together and dealt ok with that battering ram they had..

We still need to sign a winger with pace and the ability to beat a man and a forward with any kind of movement, hopefully Mcalmont re signs on loan this week to bolster that midfield..

7 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

That was much better, but still room for lots of improvement.  And I think that things will get better from now on. We are on a big learning curve but I believe that there is a lot more to come.

My man of the match was Hope, and I decided that before he scored the winner, the new lad a left back looked quality, whilst Sheron looked cool and composed at the back.

I agree with others that the Athleticos are a total breath of fresh air, they have improved the atmosphere in the ground 10 fold. Shame about the total idiots who got on the pitch, grow up ya pillocks.

I'm really impressed by Sheron, really composed presence, reads the game well and is good on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm sure someone will be along soon and say I'm just miserable. But we were absolutely shite. We were lucky that Aldershot were even more shite. Well done to Cooper for a superb pass but we were still absolutely shite. Dreading playing a decent side next week...

That’s my thinking too unfortunately!!

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm sure someone will be along soon and say I'm just miserable. But we were absolutely shite. We were lucky that Aldershot were even more shite. Well done to Cooper for a superb pass but we were still absolutely shite. Dreading playing a decent side next week...

We were, nowt controversial about that, very lucky to beat a poor side. The formation doesn't work and doesn't suit the players we have, hopefully Shez sees this but I won't hold my breath. I think we might struggle at York too playing like that.

8 hours ago, Andyt84 said:

Fondop was always going to be shit. I guess he was re signed before Frank. We need to bring in better players, but these guys have contracts. Will take time to evolve the squad. Fondop was pretty much the only striker we could get in when John came back. He did alright shez prob thought give him a go.

Enjoyed it! Thought we played pretty well in patches but also some sloppy moments gifting them chances. 

Got into some decent positions out wide but struggled with movement and bodies in the box. I think Porter would have scored had he been playing. 

What was the formation? Looked like 4 at the back but I thought that at Torquay and was wrong then.  

Archived