MATCH: vs Aldershot Town (H) 26/08/22

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankful for the win but was convinced it would be a draw or even Aldershot snatching it, which would have been a real kick in the balls. Fingers crossed that Hope has found his way to goal and we don't have to rely on Fondop. If McCalmont comes in, I feel he will score goals as well.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think the point still stands, build on it now though.

Yep absolutely. So pleased we managed to scrape through but not sure if the manager gets much credit for his tactics etc.

Onto York and Chesterfield. Let's see how we get on.... 

Aldershot were the better side 1st half but after 65 minutes they were blowing out of their arses, we would have gone on to win that quite easy if Fondop buries that header. Silly mistakes are going to cost us dear though if we don't tighten up. 

Miles better tonight than the Wealdstone and Dorking games

The 4 at the back made a massive difference. Aldershot had far less time in midfield and we could actually press a bit

Threlkeld looked likes he's going to be decent for us and the new LB was solid. More time to settle in and they'll probably get better too

We've lost loads of games like that over the years where we've been the better side but conceded late so it's a good sign

Still room for improvement though

And definitely up for York now 

2 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Think Fondop will come good once he is fully fit after his op.

TBF he had a thankless task tonight, the ball was just being lumped up to him,  normally there was no blue shirt within 10 yards of him. 

25 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Aldershot were the better side 1st half but after 65 minutes they were blowing out of their arses, we would have gone on to win that quite easy if Fondop buries that header. Silly mistakes are going to cost us dear though if we don't tighten up. 

Think when the new players gell and the loanees we will be ok . If Mcalmont is coming back he could just add the extra spark we need . And will help Vaughan along as well. 

Miles better proformance tonight, DG well deserved MOTM best player on the park, Tollitt was brilliant was the lad from Bradford. Notable mentions for Norman, McGahey, Hope & Vaughan. Aldershot appeared to be another side who looked to time waste In the hope of getting a point of the game, their goal came from sloppy defending and there best player was the big number 9 and their keeper also pulled off a worldie save from a tollitt effort that looks destined to burst net in the second half..

Hope we cant take the momentum in to York on Monday 

2 hours ago, stott182 said:

More concerning was Sheridan making a statement playing only nine players.

Screenshot_20220826-195712.png

Screenshot_20220826-202037.png

Yes, BBC coverage of the NL continues to plumb the depths.

At least it makes a change from them scaring us all to death with predictions of £6k energy bills, courtesy of their favourite Cornwall consultancy.

Could have gone 2-1 down near the end, but for a superb save by Norman.

We looked what we are, a team in transition so hopefully when the missing pieces of the jigsaw are added it will all come together with a push for the play offs.

Cooper has been slated, but what a brilliant slide rule pass for the winner.

DG man of the match in his quarterback role.

I'm not entirely convinced by that performance. However, A win is a win. Some major limbs in the Athleticos block. I can understand running down to the advertising boards, but hopping over them and jumping onto the pitch is a bit ridiculous. Whatever though. Each to their own. 

Aldershot were the worst team we've played, but probably could've even won it themselves on another day. There's so many basics lacking from our players - like passing, control and marking.  I have a kick about with 50 year old amateurs that can do all that more competently. Fondop getting grief, but he was feeding off scraps. Badly needed support when we were in possession and not - 3 of their defenders were knocking the ball around him for fun. 

But fuck all that, just for tonight..

3 points, club back, ground back. The bounce when Hope scored was glorious. The atmosphere the Athleticos create is a big (if not the) reason to go. 

Happy weekend...

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Aged well

Tbf he should have made changes well earlier. Burgess is wank, Fondop not even that good. Gives Harry less than ten mins against THAT defence. Between Hope and The new left back for MOTM for me. 

What is it with them twats in the north stand stand that just spend all their time walking up and down the concourse and stopping to watch and block the view ? I shouted at about 6 different lots to fuck off outta the way. Selfish bastards. 

Archived