Oldham Rugby

I think it’s appropriate to say well done to the Roughyeds on reaching the playoffs with the win today.

I await the minority saying how they hate rugby but any Oldham team getting some success needs congratulating!!.

Well done Yeds….

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was the best we've played all season. This has been an absolutely awful campaign and the likelihood is that we'll only 'enjoy' the briesfest of finals appearances. Having said that....if the performance that emerged today happens to be repeated next week, we could possibly (unlikely) edge Rochdale in the elimation play off, until the inevitable tatering in the qualifying play off. The difference between third/fourth and sixth in this league is a chasm, sadly.

53 minutes ago, otid said:

Today was the best we've played all season. This has been an absolutely awful campaign and the likelihood is that we'll only 'enjoy' the briesfest of finals appearances. Having said that....if the performance that emerged today happens to be repeated next week, we could possibly (unlikely) edge Rochdale in the elimation play off, until the inevitable tatering in the qualifying play off. The difference between third/fourth and sixth in this league is a chasm, sadly.

when will play off be OTID? 

Not been to watch Yeds for years but do wish them all the best, any Oldham based team doing well is good for the town. 

24 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

when will play off be OTID? 

Not been to watch Yeds for years but do wish them all the best, any Oldham based team doing well is good for the town. 

As is typical at this level.....the dates haven't been confirmed yet. It will be away at Spotland for certain.....hoping next sunday.

Guest Stanley30
On 9/4/2022 at 5:33 PM, simplythemostimportantkick said:

That’s cos it’s shit. 

It's this kind of unity, that makes our town such a sporting mecca and a great place. What a time to be alive 👍 

It would be stretching it to say I follow ORLFC but I certainly hope they get some success.  No realistic chance in these play-offs but getting there is a minor achievement.  Until they popped above Hunslet on the final day it was notable that the only sides below them were from areas outside the natural RL belt.  Anyone who just dismisses the whole sport as rubbish can't have watched, say, a classic derby between Wigan and St Helens.

7 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It would be stretching it to say I follow ORLFC but I certainly hope they get some success.  No realistic chance in these play-offs but getting there is a minor achievement.  Until they popped above Hunslet on the final day it was notable that the only sides below them were from areas outside the natural RL belt.  Anyone who just dismisses the whole sport as rubbish can't have watched, say, a classic derby between Wigan and St Helens.

Trust me if I watched it I wouldn’t feel any more excited by the sport 

The demise of the rugby league club is as soul destroying as the football team.

In 1986 I saw Oldham lose 16-22 to Australia , it was as good a night as any of the wonderful latics matches that followed as the decade ended.

To put it in context the Aussies won every match on their tours of 82 and 86 , most by 40 or 50 points ...........

I started watching ORLFC with some mates in the late 80's because our old PE teacher, Eric Fitzsimons, was coach. It was pretty enjoyable for a time, but there was one bank holiday Monday, around 1990, when I was at Watersheddings and Latics were at Leeds. The rugby announcer came on at half time and said 'bad news... Latics are winning 1-0'... the whole ground groaned. I spent the next 40 minutes ignoring the rugby and praying we'd held on... announcer comes on again at the end and says 'fantastic news... Leeds have equalised in the last minute!'. The ground erupted in delight... I've never wanted anything to do with them or their game ever since. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I started watching ORLFC with some mates in the late 80's because our old PE teacher, Eric Fitzsimons, was coach. It was pretty enjoyable for a time, but there was one bank holiday Monday, around 1990, when I was at Watersheddings and Latics were at Leeds. The rugby announcer came on at half time and said 'bad news... Latics are winning 1-0'... the whole ground groaned. I spent the next 40 minutes ignoring the rugby and praying we'd held on... announcer comes on again at the end and says 'fantastic news... Leeds have equalised in the last minute!'. The ground erupted in delight... I've never wanted anything to do with them or their game ever since. 

Was he at failsworth school?

On 9/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, Lukers1 said:

I think it’s appropriate to say well done to the Roughyeds on reaching the playoffs with the win today.

I await the minority saying how they hate rugby but any Oldham team getting some success needs congratulating!!.

Well done Yeds….

didnt even know. well done.

never forget being a kid wearing a replica shirt (l was a kid so it was acceptable) and getting dogs abuse off some egg chasers for liking Football outside the grapes, with one throwing a pint pot at me. hated the homo erotic weird cunts ever since.

3 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Mr Fitzzzz

he's a wanker wouldn't let me play Cricket bc (aparantley) my arm dropped as l got tired later on. never forget taking my 4th wicket on debut and catching him looking angry, he never picked me again 😢.

used to think about him every time l saw Malinga bowl.

not surprised at your anecdote about rugger types hating Latics as lve experienced that for myself.

bunch of pitch ruining, piss drinking bell ends.

8 hours ago, latics22 said:

Was he at failsworth school?

Yep, he was head of PE at Failsworth late 70's/early 80's. He knew I was a Latics fan and told me he'd played for our reserves before moving to Bradford Park Avenue - he actually played in the Football League for them in their last season in it - and then turned to egg chasing. He was a great teacher.

Guest Stanley30
2 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Yep, he was head of PE at Failsworth late 70's/early 80's. He knew I was a Latics fan and told me he'd played for our reserves before moving to Bradford Park Avenue - he actually played in the Football League for them in their last season in it - and then turned to egg chasing. He was a great teacher.

He was a top guy 👍

Particularly liked his ability to spot droopey armed bowlers. 

12 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I used to watch ORLFC intermittently in early 80s however they played Sundays as Latics Saturdays so not get that type of anti-Latics reaction. 

I have got to say though that many times meeting ORLFC fans socially and discussing our relative clubs, its amazing how many seek to blame Latics for ORLFC's demise in all or part!

Not really followed ORLFC since but would still classify myself as a Yeds sympathiser rather than fan, I hope they win on Sunday as I do feel that any sporting success by any Oldhamer/ Oldham team should be celebrated. Maybe one day ORLFC and Latics could be at least cordial neighbours again (if they ever were)?    

9 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Mr Fitzzzz

he's a wanker wouldn't let me play Cricket bc (aparantley) my arm dropped as l got tired later on. never forget taking my 4th wicket on debut and catching him looking angry, he never picked me again 😢.

used to think about him every time l saw Malinga bowl.

not surprised at your anecdote about rugger types hating Latics as lve experienced that for myself.

bunch of pitch ruining, piss drinking bell ends.

I've nothing against RL though I don't watch it any more but that last comment of yours did make me chuckle! Get off the fence and tell us what you really think 🤣

Archived