Oldham Rugby

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Yep, he was head of PE at Failsworth late 70's/early 80's. He knew I was a Latics fan and told me he'd played for our reserves before moving to Bradford Park Avenue - he actually played in the Football League for them in their last season in it - and then turned to egg chasing. He was a great teacher.

I had a mr fitz in the 90s at Failsworth also pe.  that could have been a shortened name or a coincidence  

RL is a proper sport, and thriving in this Borough at youth level.

My lads play both football and RL and me and the missus much prefer watching them play RL. There's just a completely different spirit among the players on a rugby team compared to a football team. And usually a mutual respect between opposing players and for the officials that you don't see so much in football.

2 hours ago, Yard Dog said:

RL is a proper sport, and thriving in this Borough at youth level.

My lads play both football and RL and me and the missus much prefer watching them play RL. There's just a completely different spirit among the players on a rugby team compared to a football team. And usually a mutual respect between opposing players and for the officials that you don't see so much in football.

opinions are like bum holes, almost everybody has one.

good opinion tho, well articulated in a place to voice an opinion.

out of interest, do they play in protective head gear?

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

opinions are like bum holes, almost everybody has one.

good opinion tho, well articulated in a place to voice an opinion.

out of interest, do they play in protective head gear?

Thanks.

No head gear. Usually find about one third of kids wear it.

I have to admit to being a bit paranoid about what we're seeing coming out these days about dementia in sportsmen and other issues caused by contact with the head. I've boxed for years without a headguard and it's in the back of my mind, especially as I get hit a lot more now I'm older and slower! 

Related to the subject but about an NFL player is a documentary on Netflix. Watch it if you've not seen it.

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez - it's a mad but interesting watch

cant watch that l'll get para bc lve had three skull fractures and l currently forget peoples names even if lve known them all my life. coupled in with my curse of being a prosopagnasia sufferer it can make me appear even more of a cunt than l actually am 😬😂😂

so glad l had the heading ability of Hallam Hope when l used to play or l would probably be much worse!!!

l suppose its about managing risks really. do they scrum in RL? l think thats where a lot of the damage occurs.

as anecdotally specified above by myself and others, my hatred for rugby stems from interactions with roughyeds when l was still quite neutral on the sport.

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Has the distaste of us from the Roughyeds died down in recent years I know it was an issue 20 plus years ago when Chris Moore effectively kicked them out of BP but do they still harbour a dislike of us. What kind of crowds do they get these days?

they were chucking glasses at kids and celebrating our losses (or even draws) wayyyy before chris moore.

you already know this.

51 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Has the distaste of us from the Roughyeds died down in recent years I know it was an issue 20 plus years ago when Chris Moore effectively kicked them out of BP but do they still harbour a dislike of us. What kind of crowds do they get these days?

Bit like we've been over the last year 20 years - poor home crowds but a loud, proud and vocal away following. Their home crowds obviously been massive affected by not having a ground of their own and often playing miles away from Oldham.

My experience is that most of the Oldham rugby fans are indifferent to Latics. And then you get a small number who do follow us and a small number who dislike us. Probably exactly the same as we would find among Latics fans towards Roughyeds. 

They have some whingers, haters and general idiots, but so do we - and doesn't every sports team. Most of their fans seem decent, reasonable and balanced people to me.

I've found that a lot of rugby fans (more so the other code) look down their noses at football. They have this snotty air of superiority. There's is a proper sport, played by proper men (and women). What a load of bollocks. Their weird drinking rituals reflect the underlying stupidity of their player and fan base. Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs while rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman. Sums them up. Arseholes.

The beautiful game is loved the world over. We don't need to defend ourselves to a bunch of in-bred types. 

I'm also very frustrated that rugby and cricket can carry on today but football has been cancelled. Shame on rugby and cricket. SHAME ON YOU!!!!

2 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I've found that a lot of rugby fans (more so the other code) look down their noses at football. They have this snotty air of superiority. There's is a proper sport, played by proper men (and women). What a load of bollocks. Their weird drinking rituals reflect the underlying stupidity of their player and fan base. Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs while rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman. Sums them up. Arseholes.

The beautiful game is loved the world over. We don't need to defend ourselves to a bunch of in-bred types. 

I'm also very frustrated that rugby and cricket can carry on today but football has been cancelled. Shame on rugby and cricket. SHAME ON YOU!!!!

rugger, golf and Cricket are historically the toff sports aswell so they would be far better placed to know whether forcing everybody to stop is respectful or not.

its nothing to do with respect. we get treated like imbeciles.

18 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

The sanctimony of RU fans gets right in my wick. But there's no denying they've got a point. 

30 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Rugby fans love to proclomate this myth about how sporting their fans are, swapping ends at half time and all that nonsense. I can honestly say though that during my brief time watching them I saw it kick off every bit as bad as anything I'd seen at Latics. And as for the Union lot, I was in a bar in Bath with my girlfriend a good few years back when this group of post-match pissed up rugby herberts tried, very unsuccessfully, to passive aggressively intimidate us because of our accents. Dickheads. (Because of where I'm from I've got quite a strong Manchester accent, so I just gave them my best 'Liam Gallagher' and that shut them up 🤣🤣)

2 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Rugby fans love to proclomate this myth about how sporting their fans are, swapping ends at half time and all that nonsense. I can honestly say though that during my brief time watching them I saw it kick off every bit as bad as anything I'd seen at Latics. And as for the Union lot, I was in a bar in Bath with my girlfriend a good few years back when this group of post-match pissed up rugby herberts tried, very unsuccessfully, to passive aggressively intimidate us because of our accents. Dickheads.

Wow. Passive aggressive intimidation. That's always licking off at England games! 

7 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

My mate's dad had followed ORLC home and away for over 40 years, but swore he'd never set foot in Boundary Park. When they moved in after the sale of Watersheddings he simply stopped going overnight, he hated the place that much.

Wonder why he (they) hated OAFC so much? 

Am I missing something obvious like we ripped them off royally or something? 

I know ORLFC fans are from the other side of town in the main and for some reason, seemed to be lots of Leeds fans up there... but were they just so pigheaded about Latics because we are from this side of town?    

59 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Wonder why he (they) hated OAFC so much? 

Am I missing something obvious like we ripped them off royally or something? 

I know ORLFC fans are from the other side of town in the main and for some reason, seemed to be lots of Leeds fans up there... but were they just so pigheaded about Latics because we are from this side of town?    

some men you just can't reach

17 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

My mate's dad had followed ORLC home and away for over 40 years, but swore he'd never set foot in Boundary Park. When they moved in after the sale of Watersheddings he simply stopped going overnight, he hated the place that much.

At the time when we left Watersheddings our brave pioneering council led by the supreme leader John Batty promised to build a new stadium for the rugby team .Maybe your mates dad is still waiting .

Try Having Phill Larder as your sports master learned to hate "thugby " in my second ever pe lesson at saddleworth .was just an excuse for to many in my group for out right bullying and thuggery after that would avoid it at all costs for the term we would be doing it forgot kit ill you name i avoided  it and anything to do with it despite threats of detention etc hated it and still do tho i have warmed a little towards RL having lived in leigh where it was near a religion .as for the the other code and thier sanctimonious arent we perfectly behaved shite  .worked on piccadilly station in the 80s and there were two return  special trains that everyone avoided more than the football specials  the return from "ladies day " at ascot and the return from the Army & Navy RU game at twickenham both full of unruly disrespectful drunken toffs whose behavior whilst for taxis or coaches to whisk them away was way worse than anything from chelsea millwall or westham .would still rather watch paint dry than either code .

2 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

Try Having Phill Larder as your sports master learned to hate "thugby " in my second ever pe lesson at saddleworth .was just an excuse for to many in my group for out right bullying and thuggery after that would avoid it at all costs for the term we would be doing it forgot kit ill you name i avoided  it and anything to do with it despite threats of detention etc hated it and still do tho i have warmed a little towards RL having lived in leigh where it was near a religion .as for the the other code and thier sanctimonious arent we perfectly behaved shite  .worked on piccadilly station in the 80s and there were two return  special trains that everyone avoided more than the football specials  the return from "ladies day " at ascot and the return from the Army & Navy RU game at twickenham both full of unruly disrespectful drunken toffs whose behavior whilst for taxis or coaches to whisk them away was way worse than anything from chelsea millwall or westham .would still rlarder watch paint dry than either code .

It amused me when Phil Larder was named defensive coach to England's Rugby Union team as you could count the number of tackles he made at Oldham on one hand !

Great sight when he got the ball in hand with only the full back to beat though............he had a body swerve like Bobby Charlton.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:30 AM, Yard Dog said:

Thanks.

No head gear. Usually find about one third of kids wear it.

I have to admit to being a bit paranoid about what we're seeing coming out these days about dementia in sportsmen and other issues caused by contact with the head. I've boxed for years without a headguard and it's in the back of my mind, especially as I get hit a lot more now I'm older and slower! 

Related to the subject but about an NFL player is a documentary on Netflix. Watch it if you've not seen it.

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez - it's a mad but interesting watch

Unprotected punches to the head is one thing but do you not think the dementia link with heading footballs comes down to the fact that heading balls of the past was like headbutting a concrete wall?

Footballs are so light these days it will be interesting to see if its an issue in 30 years or so time.

Not being controversial by the way its something I genuinely think about 

Archived