Oldham Rugby

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Unprotected punches to the head is one thing but do you not think the dementia link with heading footballs comes down to the fact that heading balls of the past was like headbutting a concrete wall?

Footballs are so light these days it will be interesting to see if its an issue in 30 years or so time.

Not being controversial by the way its something I genuinely think about 

Yeah I’ve always thought that, was a totally different ball.

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Unprotected punches to the head is one thing but do you not think the dementia link with heading footballs comes down to the fact that heading balls of the past was like headbutting a concrete wall?

Footballs are so light these days it will be interesting to see if its an issue in 30 years or so time.

Not being controversial by the way its something I genuinely think about 

doesnt matter how light they feel in your hand in a shop. but it matters when theyre dropping out of the sky or flying off the end of somebodys foot at upwards of 50mph.

15 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

doesnt matter how light they feel in your hand in a shop. but it matters when theyre dropping out of the sky or flying off the end of somebodys foot at upwards of 50mph.

I get your point but unless it's a direct free kick they aren't moving that quickly at all, most crosses are floated in 

23 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I get your point but unless it's a direct free kick they aren't moving that quickly at all, most crosses are floated in 

l was thinking more about goalkicks and keepers kickin it from their hands. yeah the olde ball was heavier (especially when wet) but todays players will be doing hundreds of headers each week, it can't be good.

not sure what the answer is tbh.

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

TBF your average footballer is never going to be looking at heading a Stobbs cross. As for the person in the stand that's a different matter. 

l'm currently 1-4 down against my brother for heading balls back into play. we've been playing since 2003, l think he even got on Soccer AM once.

lve been explicitly told by the Docs not to bang my head anymore but l can't stand losing 😂

I gave it a go today, supporting the Roughyeds in the elimination play off at Spotland. 

Managed to sit near a bloke with a voice like a foghorn, a Roughyeds fan who knew everyone. He seemed ok to be fair, just very loud. 

Able to drink in the stands after negotiating a ridiculous one-way traffic system and no recognisable segregation, it was a long way from what I have experienced watching an Oldham team for many years. A fella behind me thought I was a Hornets fan and when I explained I was Latics he said "hard lines".... turns out he was an Oldhamer too. Not much chance of getting Yeds supporters to like Latics but we can live in hope. 

The game itself was quite even for first hour before Hornets ran away with it in the final stages. I feel there is no excuse for Hornets being fitter than the Yeds after a full season but I am not that close to the teams that I know if any have had injuries to contend with. 

What I took away from the game was:

(1)  How 1970s some of the chants are - when a player converted a try the song "Can he kick it?" evoked a response of "Yes he can" from the home fans. Also heard an old ditty about give us a T....give us an I....give a T....give us an S...what do you want to do with them...."OLDHAM" so wrong these days and bloke of about 60 led the chant with what looked like his missus next to him

(2) That sitting next to a fella who sounded lik a foghorn wasn't really for me (fortunately he moved at half time to the end where Yeds were attacking 2nd half)

(3) I am unlikely to become an active supporter of Yeds but did at least find myself jumping up when they attacked or scored 

(4) The only Yeds fan who I spoke to who enquired whether I was a Hornets fan and then found out I was Latics had an attitude of seeming disrespect to OAFC as I have previously encountered. 

I wish the Rugby well but I am not sure whether they feel the same 

56 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

No skill involved in rugby the likes of football. I. Still waiting for someone to show me otherwise. Catching and throwing doesn't count

lad at my old job used to tell me l was perfect for american football bc 'its just throwing, catching, and acting like a knob.'

l'm sure it was a compliment.

Guest Stanley30
59 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

No skill involved in rugby the likes of football. I. Still waiting for someone to show me otherwise. Catching and throwing doesn't count

Whereas kicking and heading, then strolling around for 20 minutes is far more skillfull

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's definitely more skillful to curl a free kick into the top corner than it is to have a ball in your hand and run into the opposition...

remember when that jonny chap was a national hero bc he could kick an oversized kebab in a straight line? 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's definitely more skillful to curl a free kick into the top corner than it is to have a ball in your hand and run into the opposition...

It’s definitely more skilful to sidestep a tackler and spin a looping pass out to a winger who goes over for the try in the corner than it is to hoof the football into row Z…

10 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s definitely more skilful to sidestep a tackler and spin a looping pass out to a winger who goes over for the try in the corner than it is to hoof the football into row Z…

Step sideways and throw ball. Doesn't sound like agreat deal of skill involved 🤔 

On 9/10/2022 at 7:22 PM, unsworth blue said:

Wonder why he (they) hated OAFC so much? 

Am I missing something obvious like we ripped them off royally or something? 

I know ORLFC fans are from the other side of town in the main and for some reason, seemed to be lots of Leeds fans up there... but were they just so pigheaded about Latics because we are from this side of town?    

They've got a chip on their shoulder because, way back in the 1950's, I believe ORLFC were quite good for a short period. After that they felt they were the bigger club and looked down on Latics, so when we had our equally short period but of even greater success they were beside themselves because of it. 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Have a go at doing that at full tilt with 18 stone of solid muscle bearing down on you at equally full tilt

I'm not saying I can dribble like Leo Messi past Harry Maguire, nor Slip round Jonah Lomu (can't name any others) like greased lightening. Still more skill in football...

Archived