POLL: Should football be suspended?

OWTB POLL  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should football be suspended?

• Football should continue
    • Football should be suspended

Football, postponed at all levels last weekend following Queen’s death was at odds with most other major sports, and had football fan representatives wanting football to continue. As the suspension of games heads into a second weekend, should football have been shut down?

After the Queen died on Thursday, football's governing bodies convened on Friday to discuss the best course of action for the upcoming weekend's fixtures. The government's national mourning guidance advised that cancelling games was not obligatory, leaving the decision to individual sports. The Football Associations of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all confirmed on Friday that fixtures would be postponed as a mark of respect. The Premier League said the decision not to go ahead with its 10 games this weekend was made to honour the Queen's "extraordinary life and contribution to the nation".

I'm a royalist served for queen and country and all that but cannot for the life of me see why any football matches were cancelled, if we are going to mourn as a nation everyone should stop work for several days, I get it on the day she died (even though manure kicked off hours after she died)  and the day of the funeral but it makes no sense for football to be cancelled yet cricket, rugby and even horse racing the queens greatest passion were allowed to continue over the weekend.

I've no idea if it's a contributing factor or not, but I know GMP have bussed officers all over the country and I'm sure other police forces would be the same. Perhaps a safety issue comes into play? 

Fwiw, I voted yes - it's one round of games. It's the Queen FFS!*

*Any more and I'll be livid! 

What surprises me most is the fact that people are surprised...

Irrespective of opinions, she was the longest serving monarch (of an albeit archaic institution). If someone had said to me a year ago that games will be cancelled for the weekend when she dies, it wouldn't have struck me as something that was going to be a massive overreaction.

28 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Irrespective of opinions, she was the longest serving monarch (of an albeit archaic institution). If someone had said to me a year ago that games will be cancelled for the weekend when she dies, it wouldn't have struck me as something that was going to be a massive overreaction.

what if they said that everybody still has to work, all schools will be open, international Cricket will take place, drinking piss thru a sock will still go ahead, they'll still play golf, there will still be horse racing, all public transport will be undisrupted but ALL Football will stop?

surely in that context it is nothing but a massive over reaction?

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I've no idea if it's a contributing factor or not, but I know GMP have bussed officers all over the country and I'm sure other police forces would be the same. Perhaps a safety issue comes into play? 

it will be a rather large factor l would say, at least for the pro levels.

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

14 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

it will be a rather large factor l would say, at least for the pro levels.

There’s talk saying that some Premier League games will be cancelled this weekend due to policing issues, with ManUre v Leeds and Chelsea v Liverpool being most likely to be cancelled.

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

how about emailing grassroots referees threatening to stop them reffing in future if they dared to ref a friendly?

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

what if they said that everybody still has to work, all schools will be open, international Cricket will take place, drinking piss thru a sock will still go ahead, they'll still play golf, there will still be horse racing, all public transport will be undisrupted but ALL Football will stop?

surely in that context it is nothing but a massive over reaction?

Horse racing didn't take place on Saturday despite it being one of the biggest races of the year 

3 hours ago, Clifford said:

Most of the country isn't THAT bothered about her death and I seriously doubt she'll have wanted people missing out on things. 

All done for brand UK. The whole world will have noticed no Prem and thought we were all at home distraught. 

Brand UK is quite important 

Particularly now

3 hours ago, Clifford said:

Most of the country isn't THAT bothered about her death and I seriously doubt she'll have wanted people missing out on things. 

All done for brand UK. The whole world will have noticed no Prem and thought we were all at home distraught. 

People would do well not to assume their own echo chamber represents “most of the country”

On topic. 

Not bothered either way…so I can’t vote. 

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm a royalist served for queen and country and all that but cannot for the life of me see why any football matches were cancelled, if we are going to mourn as a nation everyone should stop work for several days, I get it on the day she died (even though manure kicked off hours after she died)  and the day of the funeral but it makes no sense for football to be cancelled yet cricket, rugby and even horse racing the queens greatest passion were allowed to continue over the weekend.

Think the only racing on Saturday was at Leopardstown. Couldn't see any UK racing.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Horse racing didn't take place on Saturday despite it being one of the biggest races of the year 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

l fully defer to you on the subject of horses!!

Archived