Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Hatter said:

Are you trying to create an ex-County XI?! It's my time to shine!

Another one that has divided the County fanbase, started brightly then rapidly faded, and could be hit or miss for you. 

When he first joined he was electric for half a season (20/21) averaging better than 1 in 2. He's got pace and knack for popping up in the right spot in the box. BUT that was very much reliant on a big man (Richie Bennett) doing his dirty work. He occupied the CBs letting Reid play off the shoulder or feed off flick ons. It was a very good partnership. However, our DoF in his infinite wisdom sacked club legend Gannon when we were 4th and his replacement (Rusk) in his infinite wisdom broke up the partnership (and later shipped Bennett out on loan to our PO rival, Hartlepool, where he scored 5 in 4 games to cement their PO spot before returning to us and missing a sitter in our PO semi final that we lost to them - but that's a different story!). 

Rusk tried Reid as the middle of a front 3 or off the left and it just didn't work. He doesn't press and he can't hold up the ball. Despite his size (he's not 6ft 4 btw! County fans still laugh about that being on WIki!) he's not that good in the air and lightweight. The goals dried up - though he still just about finished our top scorer in the league and he was out of favour by the time Rusk was sacked. Challinor gave him a couple of gos but he plays a high press, high tempo style so it never going to work. He looked terrible and disinterested too. 

We then tried to get rid but couldn't as he's another that was on big wages for us after a renewed contract mid-purple patch. Rumours (hinted at by the manager too) are that he turned down local loan moves (Alty etc.) however preferring to enjoy a cushy life and paypacket which didn't go down with County fans. We finally got him off the books with a loan move to Solihull this season and then you'll know about as much as me. Started very brightly then has faded. 

Overall, you could do a lot worse at that level. He's got some good attributes - pace and good movement. But I'm not sure he's the man you want in a relegation dogfight unless you've got a bigman he can play off. He's not stuck around at any club for long... You never know - you could catch one of his purple patches though (he does seem to start well at new clubs)!

so, not the central spot? interesting..

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

so, not the central spot? interesting..

Not in a 3 imo. He isn't a "point" striker that brings others into play. He's quite lightweight and doesn't hold it well. He's also got a languid style and doesn't press (from memory). I think that's why Rusk tried him off the left when we changed to a 3 rather than 2 up top. We did also bring in Madden too though...

His best attribute is his pace and for that he really needs to be feeding off flick-ons or through balls playing off the last man. That could work with Rooney behind but I think you'll need someone alongside him to get you up the pitch and occupy the CBs or he'll be bullied out of the game. Finishing-wise he's decent for that level but one of those that does better when it's instinctive rather than loads of time to think about it. 

22 minutes ago, wxmred said:

Had a loan spell with us a few seasons ago, started well but soon stopped scoring, that was during our streak of destroying every striker we got our hands on though

We have been destroying strikers for nigh on 20 years. 

4 hours ago, SCFC said:

He will only score goals if he plays in a two, was prolific when he played alongside Bennett, plenty of pace and can finish. Wears gloves btw lol.

Thanks Jim

Seems we are building a team of ex County players.Hope he does better than a couple we have from you.

Funny how we appear to have an increasing number of other teams' fans coming on here. We could have done this plenty of times, with the ex-players who have moved to other clubs, telling them how crap they are or how they won't do a job..only to see them go from strength to strength with their new club.

Here's hoping Unsworth's recruitment process pays dividends in the ultimate goal of keeping the Latics in this league.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

We could have done this plenty of times, with the ex-players who have moved to other clubs, telling them how crap they are or how they won't do a job..only to see them go from strength to strength with their new club.

we do. at least once or twice a year, on average.

Shame we cannot strike a deal with Porter and bring in the likes of Richie Bennett.  Local lad, understand he’s a Latics fan and struck a very effective partnership with Reid when they were at Stockport.

Some are criticising us becoming the Stockport B team but they were successful, achieved promotion & we have players who already know each other, played together successfully so half the battle on coaching etc.  

With this scouting network of 5, I cannot see recruitment ending soon and will ramp up in January.  DR said they were tracking league players so January could signal mass changes 

15 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Shame we cannot strike a deal with Porter and bring in the likes of Richie Bennett.  Local lad, understand he’s a Latics fan and struck a very effective partnership with Reid when they were at Stockport.

Some are criticising us becoming the Stockport B team but they were successful, achieved promotion & we have players who already know each other, played together successfully so half the battle on coaching etc.  

With this scouting network of 5, I cannot see recruitment ending soon and will ramp up in January.  DR said they were tracking league players so January could signal mass changes 

We need to strike a deal with half the squad!!.

12 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Thanks for the praise but you're not picking up anyone that was significantly involved in our promotion team other than Hogan and he'll be turning 34 shortly and wasn't a regular starter by the end of the season. 

I think Kitching will be a good player for you but I worry that you're picking up ageing players (Hogan, Maynard) or players that earnt a reputation with us for low work ethic (Rooney, Reid). I hope they prove me wrong and you sort it but I'm not sure they are who you want for a relegation battle. 

Rooney undoubtedly has quality though. Reid can find the back of the net if he's in the mood and Hogan is a leader who can look rock solid on his day. You have to know their limitations though and support them. Rooney and Reid need someone to do their dirty work; Hogan needs pace alongside him. 

1 hour ago, Hatter said:

Thanks for the praise but you're not picking up anyone that was significantly involved in our promotion team other than Hogan and he'll be turning 34 shortly and wasn't a regular starter by the end of the season. 

I think Kitching will be a good player for you but I worry that you're picking up ageing players (Hogan, Maynard) or players that earnt a reputation with us for low work ethic (Rooney, Reid). I hope they prove me wrong and you sort it but I'm not sure they are who you want for a relegation battle. 

Rooney undoubtedly has quality though. Reid can find the back of the net if he's in the mood and Hogan is a leader who can look rock solid on his day. You have to know their limitations though and support them. Rooney and Reid need someone to do their dirty work; Hogan needs pace alongside him. 

All I can say is, different team, different dynamics..who knows how these players will perform together under Unsworth? If they are better than what we already have or can compliment them to a greater degree, then we have to hope for the best. 

10 hours ago, Hatter said:

This paragraph hits the nail on the head and will be the ultimate test of the club's recruitment strategy, whether we have a detailed or specific role in mind for our signings compared to the scattergun approach of the previous regime.

11 hours ago, Hatter said:

you seem to have spelled play off charge wrong there

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

This paragraph hits the nail on the head and will be the ultimate test of the club's recruitment strategy, whether we have a detailed or specific role in mind for our signings compared to the scattergun approach of the previous regime.

remember when we could have had a tip at promotion under Kewell. when we had players playing at levels ranging from average to very well in every position on the pitch except CB. when we were the top scorers in europe*

cue Mo bringing in three left wingers

*poss hyperbole

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

We have to hope this is exactly the case, given how much the club appears to building this side of footballing matters. It will be interesting to see if any of BP's scouting leads to any gems being acquired possibly from lower down the pyramid. 

7 hours ago, Wardie said:

We have to hope this is exactly the case, given how much the club appears to building this side of footballing matters. It will be interesting to see if any of BP's scouting leads to any gems being acquired possibly from lower down the pyramid. 

3 new recommendations in, one in a position required - but playing at a much lower level, one quality, but would likely be used for cover, and a very exciting one for the future who could cost a  fee.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

3 new recommendations in, one in a position required - but playing at a much lower level, one quality, but would likely be used for cover, and a very exciting one for the future who could cost a  fee.

After how many viewings?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

After how many viewings?

Once, so obviously have to be followed up. 

In my long experience though they all have the qualities to go higher.

Edit, seen one twice who gave exactly the same high quality performance on each occasion.

I've chosen 3 from over 200 who have appeared in matches scouted so far, so one could say I've been quite selective 

Archived