Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

There is no such thing as natural talent. The players that appear to have it, will be the the ones who have practised the most. 

Talent comes into it. It is more weighted in how much someone spends on the training ground crafting it but if someone is a natural talent it makes a hell of a difference.

2 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

There is no such thing as natural talent. The players that appear to have it, will be the the ones who have practised the most. 

So everyone in the world is a potential Messi?

Right you are..

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Right you are..

You can be anything you want to be is the sort of thing parents tell their kids to motivate them.  Obviously, it's bollocks

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You can be anything you want to be is the sort of thing parents tell their kids to motivate them.  Obviously, it's bollocks

I was told 50 year's ago that I'd be a failure, if I didn't buckle down at school,

Here I am today, a failure of my own making because I didn't listen but yet I could of been anything 😁

35 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That maybe the case but what wouldn't be bollocks and what you should say is that you don't get anywhere without Hardwork. Hardwork will always beat talent.

15 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I was told 50 year's ago that I'd be a failure, if I didn't buckle down at school,

Here I am today, a failure of my own making because I didn't listen but yet I could of been anything 😁

I think that was the default mindset of some teachers back then, keep the working classes in their place. 

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

That maybe the case but what wouldn't be bollocks and what you should say is that you don't get anywhere without Hardwork. Hardwork will always beat talent.

Agreed, talent + hard work is one of things I look for in scouting players. 

I remember watching George Best on his league debut, he was kicked up and down dale, but if he lost the ball he'd fight back to retrieve it.

Once that dedication waned talent alone wasn't enough.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Laughed when I read this. I remember being on a "leadership/management" course when I was in my 40's. The trainer was one of those annoying "positivity moves mountains" type (an Aussie) and tried to convince me that I could have been Wimbledon Champion if only I`d set my mind to it when I was 14 years old. Absolute utter shite - I loved playing tennis but my mate used to beat me 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 every time I played him at Greenfield - and he didn't even make the school team!

You are right, it's utter bollocks - another worldwide export from the USA originally - but it is amazing how many people spout such shite.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Laughed when I read this. I remember being on a "leadership/management" course when I was in my 40's. The trainer was one of those annoying "positivity moves mountains" type (an Aussie) and tried to convince me that I could have been Wimbledon Champion if only I`d set my mind to it when I was 14 years old. Absolute utter shite - I loved playing tennis but my mate used to beat me 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 every time I played him at Greenfield - and he didn't even make the school team!

You are right, it's utter bollocks - another worldwide export from the USA originally - but it is amazing how many people spout such shite.

I played at bit at Greenfield back in the late 70s.  I was half decent at Badminton and Squash but pretty hopeless at tennis.  Wish I'd tried harder now...

12 hours ago, JoeP said:

Right you are..

I didn't say that, as I'm sure you know. There is nobody playing at the top based on the mythical talent. They've all done their 10,000 hours and more. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:58 AM, BP1960 said:

I'm keeping tabs on a Championship clubs u21 attacking midfielder.

Not been on loan yet,  but has played in the first team.

Not an harassing nor hostile question but what does that mean? Have you seen him play, are you planning on seeing him, or what? 

Anyone who follows Luamba on Instagram can see how hard he works, he seems to do extra training and fitness sessions on a regular basis. Can’t fault his determination, but he’s where he is, in part, due to a relative dearth of natural ability. Plenty of players who never tried nearly as hard as Luamba; Berbatov, Ginola et al. Players who skipped training, smoked on the side, refused to do gym sessions, terrible diets. What they did have was natural ability. 

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Not an harassing nor hostile question but what does that mean? Have you seen him play, are you planning on seeing him, or what? 

@LaticsPete I often get recommendations sent to me, this is one to follow up. If I cant do them myself I pass the details on to the club. His credentials look very promising.

The 2 EPL lads who were available at the time I saw them have been highly recommended by myself, but such are their performances since I think they may go higher. Still hoping though.

Guest Stanley30
5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

@LaticsPete I often get recommendations sent to me, this is one to follow up. If I cant do them myself I pass the details on to the club. His credentials look very promising.

The 2 EPL lads who were available at the time I saw them have been highly recommended by myself, but such are their performances since I think they may go higher. Still hoping though.

Out of curiosity BP, who have the club previously signed off your recommendations? 

3 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Out of curiosity BP, who have the club previously signed off your recommendations? 

Currently none, this is the frustrations of scouting, happens at every club as it's all depends on what the manager wants.

If they come here or go elsewhere I'll let you know.

The young right back in Wales is injured at the moment and the other in non league is now hot property.

12 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

I didn't say that, as I'm sure you know. There is nobody playing at the top based on the mythical talent. They've all done their 10,000 hours and more. 

But they've got the "mythical" talent as well!

Anyone can put the hours in.  You need the talent to separate you from the rest.

43 minutes ago, JoeP said:

But they've got the "mythical" talent as well!

Anyone can put the hours in.  You need the talent to separate you from the rest.

Talent alone isn't enough, I saw one player in non league this season now 21yo who has played for England from 16s to u19s, he had obvious ability, but his work rate was virtually nil.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Talent alone isn't enough, I saw one player in non league this season now 21yo who has played for England from 16s to u19s, he had obvious ability, but his work rate was virtually nil.

A combination of both is surely what it takes.

As I say, anyone can work hard.  To play to a reasonable standard, you have to have some talent as well..

To dismiss talent as insignificant is wide of the mark.

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

A combination of both is surely what it takes.

As I say, anyone can work hard.  To play to a reasonable standard, you have to have some talent as well..

To dismiss talent as insignificant is wide of the mark.

You can't dismiss talent, I remember Lee Trundle who had bags of ability as a youth, but wasted it in pub and non leagues

Eventually he got his act together and made a good career in the Championship by adding a work ethic to his talents.

Archived