BPAS PODCAST: 10th Oct '22, S3E10: A Glass Half Empty Or Half Full?

4 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

This was my argument for keeping Shez on when he was in the job despite his flaws, but with the investment put in to get such a tailored coaching team (basically the infrastructure on the playing side) the board were right to change managers when they did. 

If the board made a knee jerk decision to replace Shez with a different manager and keep the same coaching team in place then I would've preferred Shez but, with the clear plan the board had, we needed a new manager to bed in as early as possible.

Why didn't Frank and Co back Shez like they appear to be backing Rhino?, I'd be pretty pissed if I was Shez for a couple of reasons.

One being Unsworth now appears to have a budget that wasn't there previously and secondly it was the worst kept secret that Unsworth was lined up to replace him from the off and Shez was the proverbial sitting duck, let's face it we are all in with Unsworth now and there is no alternative.

How long he gets is irrelevant even if we went down they'd keep him because this isn't his group of players and it would go against everything we've been told, I personally think they've placed an amazing amount of faith in him for a managerial novice and I hope at some stage it clicks, if results don't improve fans will vote with their feet there is nothing surer, what's being served up currently particularly away from home is dross you can't even sugar coat it but we have to hope to turn a corner.

I'm not arsed one iota about Saturday, we should be smashing 5 or 6 past Chester if he plays his strongest team, personally I wouldn't be risking anyone and hope to see massive improvement for the game at home to Yeovil followed by two local aways which we will take thousands to and should be winning.

18 hours ago, JoeP said:

If the plan is to have no short-term improvement, I'm not 100% sure why we got rid of Shez as the results have just continued as they were. It might have been better to build the infrastructure, let someone else pay the high wage for a manager and then bring the manager in when everything is in place.

jayzus have you listened to any of Unsworths first interviews, or BPAS this week when Andy gets Zengry or Matt every week or Darren Royle or Joe Royle. Unsworth took the job BECAUSE HE WANTS TO BUILD THE INFRASTRUCTURE.

fuckssake.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

jayzus have you listened to any of Unsworths first interviews, or BPAS this week when Andy gets Zengry or Matt every week or Darren Royle or Joe Royle. Unsworth took the job BECAUSE HE WANTS TO BUILD THE INFRASTRUCTURE.

fuckssake.

I haven't.

What does he want to do this season?

On 10/12/2022 at 5:01 PM, maximus1267 said:

Much of todays society want and expect things now, have a severe lack of character, resilience and lack of maturity. 

We wanted AL and cronies out, we used all sorts of platforms, media and protests/boycotting to do this, it worked and we welcomed in Frank and his family in like heroes, he has put together what looks like a great board and what looks to be a very good management team/ coaching staff. Brilliant we got our club back and thats what mattered. 

Anyone who thinks that on the pitch stuff could change in such a short time with players of limited ability are deluded.

Some players with limited ability may improve under better coaches, some may have to be replaced, this cant happen within weeks of the new management teams arrival.

Matt and Andy are correct in their views imo.

This club is on the way up, as fans please give the new board and management team a bit of respect and time to rid the club of the cancer that has eaten it away over many years. 

Kevin Roberts will be sourcing new investment and new revenue streams, we have an owner who loves the town, the people and now the club and the Royles who will just want the absolute best for the club.

A management team that will have contacts and respect within the game. 

Very different from a few months ago, I just hope the majority of fans can see the bigger picture, lets hope the minority dont ruin what is being put in place.

Excellent post. And it's worth adding, the on the pitch stuff is all that we get to see, week in week out, whereas the off the pitch stuff is less obvious and often less newsworthy. Of course it's difficult, but we just have to be patient and trust in board, management and coaching staff. Unsworth and his team are no mugs and I expect gradual improvement in results in the weeks ahead. This is the nadir and we will climb away from it.

31 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Excellent post. And it's worth adding, the on the pitch stuff is all that we get to see, week in week out, whereas the off the pitch stuff is less obvious and often less newsworthy. Of course it's difficult, but we just have to be patient and trust in board, management and coaching staff. Unsworth and his team are no mugs and I expect gradual improvement in results in the weeks ahead. This is the nadir and we will climb away from it.

It has a feeling we may have bottomed out, I just think the fans need to stay positive, a couple of decent results in the next 3 games should lift all concerned. 

21 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Thanks Worcester 👍

We all want to see the team winning and playing better but It just cannot happen over night.

I can be as pissed off and angry after 90 minutes of watching crap, just like all us suffering fans and especially living far from Oldham makes it worse but I like many others I see something going on that we've not seen for a long time off the pitch. This is exciting, when the playing side improves great but we need patience.

But as you allude to, off the pitch stuff goes unoticed or it is deemed the team should be improved first by some.

We have waited so so long for good people, why not wait a little longer and give them a chance.

We knew the players were poor and we knew deep down Shez wasn't the man.

Improvement will happen, just may not be this saturday or the next.

Al once said "slowly slowly" but they were just words.

What I see now is things being done, little things that make a difference.

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Thanks Worcester 👍

We all want to see the team winning and playing better but It just cannot happen over night.

I can be as pissed off and angry after 90 minutes of watching crap, just like all us suffering fans and especially living far from Oldham makes it worse but I like many others I see something going on that we've not seen for a long time off the pitch. This is exciting, when the playing side improves great but we need patience.

But as you allude to, off the pitch stuff goes unoticed or it is deemed the team should be improved first by some.

We have waited so so long for good people, why not wait a little longer and give them a chance.

We knew the players were poor and we knew deep down Shez wasn't the man.

Improvement will happen, just may not be this saturday or the next.

Al once said "slowly slowly" but they were just words.

What I see now is things being done, little things that make a difference.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on this but what I will also say is that football fans are humans, and humans occasionally get emotional or have a moan/rant about things and occasionally lose their sense of perspective. Particularly anyone who is on an all day session at an away game.

I think we can expect a few more 5pm Saturday rants from people when we underachieve, our fans are no different to Anyonelses in this respect.

On the football side our aim for the rest of this season would be to improve from where we are now the more the better but even some small improvements should be enough so that we can go into next season where the expectation should be for the top 7 if we don't get it this year. I'd like to give Unsworth plenty of time, years if possible. How long a manager gets is always a subjective topic. I'd like him to be here years but he has to earn that to an extent he can't go on a 10 match losing streak and say judge me in 2 years because if that's the case then we will be out of the FA cup and cut adrift at the bottom of the league in grave danger of going into regional football and we will have to change it. From here our aim this season should be improvement, top half should be getable if we get there with enough games to spare then the play offs becomes a possibility. I don't expect promotion thos season that would be a bonus but I do expect improvement.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

How long a manager gets is always a subjective topic. I'd like him to be here years but he has to earn that to an extent he can't go on a 10 match losing streak and say judge me in 2 years because if that's the case then we will be out of the FA cup and cut adrift at the bottom of the league in grave danger of going into regional football and we will habe to change it.

This is absolutely spot on. 

We are high on positivity which is fantastic, and a lot want us to the bigger picture- which is fine- to an extent. 

Everyone wants continuity until you’re not winning. . . no manager at any club can be excused for poor results- just because he may get it right in 12/18 months time. 

I don’t expect us to challenge this season. But limping along isn’t good enough either. 

Another relegation would dash any semblance of positivity. As long as a few, just a few positive results come this season to keep us safe I’m staying positive in the knowledge that much better things are in place for the coming seasons. I just don’t feel comfortable looking at the table at the moment - quarter through the season or not 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived