BPAS PODCAST: 10th Oct '22, S3E10: A Glass Half Empty Or Half Full?

Football fans want success and the want it now! This weeks episode is a lively discussion on two opposing views - is the glass half empty or full?

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

The thing that I always try to portray to Andy is that it's possible to love the Rothwell family, Darren Royle, the work they've done behind the scenes, having the fans bar booming, enthused by Unsworth/Ebbrell/Jeffers/Rathbone, enjoying coming to the football with people you haven't been there with for years... whilst being absolutely furious at the tripe on the pitch at the moment...

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The thing that I always try to portray to Andy is that it's possible to love the Rothwell family, Darren Royle, the work they've done behind the scenes, having the fans bar booming, enthused by Unsworth/Ebbrell/Jeffers/Rathbone, enjoying coming to the football with people you haven't been there with for years... whilst being absolutely furious at the tripe on the pitch at the moment...

It is baffling to me (and always has been) how professional footballers, even at the level we now play, CANNOT pass the ball to a teammate, struggle to control the ball etc 

The basics that’s what they’re called - just do ‘em.

While their is quite alot of noise on twitter and their always will be. The atmosphere at the games has been very positive. The majority of us know that we are in transition so results won't be particularly good right now.

It's strange because I've never felt this relaxed watching a losing team knowing that the people running the club are doing the right thing. We've improved the coaching and the backroom staff we are taking a more professional view on things and we are strengthening the squad. If you keep doing the right things it will eventually pay off. When that happens any dissent will turn to cheer.

The other thing is we have a very misunderstood concept of the time to get back into the football league. Andy say it could take 3-5 years. I think it could be 1-5 years. It's still quite possible that we could strengthen and evolve the squad enough we could finish the season strongly and get into the play offs. If not then we could certainly have a go next season. What is crucial though is if we don't go up we are in a position to regroup quickly replace any players lost so that we can challenge again the following season so that their isn't the fall off that we saw in 2007.

Interesting. 

This behavioural psychology stuff interests me quite a lot, having seen an example of how it can work at my own club.

I think a point that tends to get lost is that, while people do often behave with a herd mentality, it is USUALLY a specific and quite contrived response to a particular stimulus. So, for example, the activities of this Pod and its supporters over a two year period was probably much more planned and far less organic than it might have looked. And that was because you were addressing a defined and clearly identifiable problem.

Now you are in a position where success is much less clearly defined and there is far less unanimity of view about what needs to  happen to achieve it.  My theory is that in a much more uncertain environment like that, individuals revert to type.  Which means that you will get people who are like Andy and have an inner conviction that it will all come good, people who just boo what is immediately in front of them, and all points in between. To that extent, I thought Matt was wishing for the moon. Intellectually, he is quite right. Emotionally, he won't ever succeed in persuading any more than a section of the fan base to come with him.  Good discussion though.

That quiz is pretty tough, by the way. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I was furious at how the club was being run under the Lemmies, with cretins like Big Fat Baz with his face in the trough. As a result, I expected us to be rubbish on the pitch.

I'm disappointed at the way the club is performing on he pitch today, but I expect us to get better over the next year because we are now being well run. It's all about having perspective and being able to see the bigger picture for me.

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

I was furious at how the club was being run under the Lemmies, with cretins like Big Fat Baz with his face in the trough. As a result, I expected us to be rubbish on the pitch.

I'm disappointed at the way the club is performing on he pitch today, but I expect us to get better over the next year because we are now being well run. It's all about having perspective and being able to see the bigger picture for me.

This sums it all up perfectly for me.

Another great podcast btw

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

All of which is perfectly reasonable Andy. Nor do I thinking shouting at players is ever the answer. 

However- under ALMO we said no manager could be judged fairly,  which was understandable (but still gave the incumbent coach no real responsibility) now we have the club back we seem to still blaming the past for shit results. Frank and Unsy don’t want to talk about the past, yet some fans are insistent on framing every defeat with last season. Since the owners have come in, they have done everything they can to support Shez and now Unsy. So like any normal football club- managers should be judged on their results alone. 

Yes he needs time to implement his ideas, but so far- his style of play is to isolate Fondop giving us little or no attacking threat in the hope it makes us hard to beat and improves mentality. Those are his choices, and he and his team should be judged on the results that approach brings.  Maybe we’ll come good with this approach, but I don’t know a set of fans anywhere in the land that will just there watching attritional, hard to beat, no attacking football in the medium to long term.

He himself said- my job is to win football matches. In order to do that we need to score goals. . . he’s been everything he asked for. Over to you Unsy. 

I`ve never listened to one of these podcasts - I may do one day. I may be on an island of one here but I am still basking in the "sunshine" brought by a new, local owner. Lemsagam was so, so bad (the worst we've ever had, by a country mile) that my honeymoon period may well last all season. 

I am fairly relaxed about the dross on the pitch right now and confident that it will get better over time given the changes behind the scenes.

Over the last 40 years or so I've very rarely been a boo-er (of the players at least.)

But watching a football match is an emotional experience, not just a rational one, and I find it hard to get wound up at people who, in the moment, lose their rational brains about the big picture and get riled about a shitty 90 minutes and are compelled to voice that.

• Matt featured this topic

Much of todays society want and expect things now, have a severe lack of character, resilience and lack of maturity. 

We wanted AL and cronies out, we used all sorts of platforms, media and protests/boycotting to do this, it worked and we welcomed in Frank and his family in like heroes, he has put together what looks like a great board and what looks to be a very good management team/ coaching staff. Brilliant we got our club back and thats what mattered. 

Anyone who thinks that on the pitch stuff could change in such a short time with players of limited ability are deluded.

Some players with limited ability may improve under better coaches, some may have to be replaced, this cant happen within weeks of the new management teams arrival.

Matt and Andy are correct in their views imo.

This club is on the way up, as fans please give the new board and management team a bit of respect and time to rid the club of the cancer that has eaten it away over many years. 

Kevin Roberts will be sourcing new investment and new revenue streams, we have an owner who loves the town, the people and now the club and the Royles who will just want the absolute best for the club.

A management team that will have contacts and respect within the game. 

Very different from a few months ago, I just hope the majority of fans can see the bigger picture, lets hope the minority dont ruin what is being put in place.

On 10/10/2022 at 7:59 AM, BPAS said:

Football fans want success and the want it now! This weeks episode is a lively discussion on two opposing views - is the glass half empty or full?

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Much of todays society want and expect things now, have a severe lack of character, resilience and lack of maturity. 

We wanted AL and cronies out, we used all sorts of platforms, media and protests/boycotting to do this, it worked and we welcomed in Frank and his family in like heroes, he has put together what looks like a great board and what looks to be a very good management team/ coaching staff. Brilliant we got our club back and thats what mattered. 

Anyone who thinks that on the pitch stuff could change in such a short time with players of limited ability are deluded.

Some players with limited ability may improve under better coaches, some may have to be replaced, this cant happen within weeks of the new management teams arrival.

Matt and Andy are correct in their views imo.

This club is on the way up, as fans please give the new board and management team a bit of respect and time to rid the club of the cancer that has eaten it away over many years. 

Kevin Roberts will be sourcing new investment and new revenue streams, we have an owner who loves the town, the people and now the club and the Royles who will just want the absolute best for the club.

A management team that will have contacts and respect within the game. 

Very different from a few months ago, I just hope the majority of fans can see the bigger picture, lets hope the minority dont ruin what is being put in place.

Best post in a long time 👏

These aren’t loaded questions- I’m genuinely interested. 

How long are people prepared to watch turgid football that produces indifferent results?

Do we ignore performances and results for now because there is a bigger picture? 

Because the off field will take time to rebuild and implement, is Unsy on a free pass with results?   If so, when is a fair time to assess how he is doing? (I know it’s a lot longer than 4 games) 

It was another good listen.  Ryan talked a lot of sense.

If I'm honest, I'm more in line with Dave's point of view.

The new owners are exactly what we needed and have transformed the club as per the "little things" thread and the atmosphere around the club generally.  No one wants the Lemmies with results back, as has been suggested elsewhere, but at the moment the success of the club in the future is just concept.  It should all work out peachy if the infrastructure is in place, but it'll only be results on the pitch that will be proof of that and nothing is guaranteed.

Latics fans can't ever be accused of being impatient - we haven't had any success for 31 years.  Unfortunately, any new players and owners take on that burden to an extent when they come to the club.  It's not personal and it's not a sudden reaction - we're just aware of too many false dawns and have already waited too long, to quote Morrissey.

If the plan is to have no short-term improvement, I'm not 100% sure why we got rid of Shez as the results have just continued as they were. It might have been better to build the infrastructure, let someone else pay the high wage for a manager and then bring the manager in when everything is in place.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

It was another good listen.  Ryan talked a lot of sense.

If I'm honest, I'm more in line with Dave's point of view.

The new owners are exactly what we needed and have transformed the club as per the "little things" thread and the atmosphere around the club generally.  No one wants the Lemmies with res

If the plan is to have no short-term improvement, I'm not 100% sure why we got rid of Shez

Because the new team are fundamental to the long term planning 

13 hours ago, JoeP said:

If the plan is to have no short-term improvement, I'm not 100% sure why we got rid of Shez as the results have just continued as they were. It might have been better to build the infrastructure, let someone else pay the high wage for a manager and then bring the manager in when everything is in place.

This was my argument for keeping Shez on when he was in the job despite his flaws, but with the investment put in to get such a tailored coaching team (basically the infrastructure on the playing side) the board were right to change managers when they did. 

If the board made a knee jerk decision to replace Shez with a different manager and keep the same coaching team in place then I would've preferred Shez but, with the clear plan the board had, we needed a new manager to bed in as early as possible.

Archived