That Alty post match interview

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I believe he’s trying to sign player, I don’t know why they are not coming. I think it’s purely financial rather than anything else. Pay the players the correct amount and they will come. 

Did he not say they made Nuttall an "unbelievable" offer?
Or are we all now in the conspiracy camp and saying the club made it all up?

Not to anyone in particular but this is in danger of becoming yet another 'manager out' campaign. Sheridan intimated he didn't want the job longer than the end of last season. I didn't want him to stay on after relegation, I thought it would be someone new [god knows who] and I never got the impression he was fully committed this season. It needed to change.

Was I convinced when Unsworth was announced? Not really but the structure put in place alongside him has given me the hope that a long-term plan is forming. I personally will be devastated if the club is relegated again and to be honest, I'm just as twitchy as the rest of the fans are getting.

The choices for me are to walk away [not going to happen] or sit it out.
So, no choice at all really.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Not to anyone in particular but this is in danger of becoming yet another 'manager out' campaign. Sheridan intimated he didn't want the job longer than the end of last season. I didn't want him to stay on after relegation, I thought it would be someone new [god knows who] and I never got the impression he was fully committed this season. It needed to change.

If the club had been sold immediately after our relegation, then it would have been a no brainer - Pete Wild.

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sheri was hopeless but if they weren't going to back their new man with a significantly increased playing budget then you do question the wisdom in making the change.

I think it was 75% Sheridan’s decision to leave so they’ve gone full on with a completely new backroom staff looking towards the future.

They probably thought a new manager could get enough from the squad to maintain mid table whilst the club overhaul was going on and then planned to give it a good go next season and challenge for promotion.

Unfortunately, for one reason or another it hasn’t happened but IMO primarily because almost certainly the players are simply not up to it.

I’m sure the board recognise our limitations and will do what ever is necessary to help Unsworth but it will take time, we just simply have to be patient during the transition.

50 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sheri was hopeless but if they weren't going to back their new man with a significantly increased playing budget then you do question the wisdom in making the change.

Presumably because this season was never intended to be an all out promotion push.  If you're going to put in place a new structure for the footballing side with a view to it giving you long term benefits, why not start that process straight away?

12 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why get rid of Shez? Because it's a long term plan to overhaul the whole club and make sure we have the foundations in place to be successful. Not overnight but over time. Thought that's what everyone wanted?

It is, yes - me included.

I`m just aghast at the very poor showings since Unsworth arrived and Altrincham made me very angry - never thought I`d see such a meek Latics side.

I`ll carry on supporting us because I am so grateful to Frank Rothwell. My huge question mark over Unsworth remains but let's see what transpires this season.

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Presumably because this season was never intended to be an all out promotion push.  If you're going to put in place a new structure for the footballing side with a view to it giving you long term benefits, why not start that process straight away?

You have to learn to walk before you can run though, seems like we haven't learned the lessons from other clubs that have gone before us.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

How do you mean?

Trying to put structures in place which will inevitably take time to bear fruit whilst totally neglecting the most important bit which is the first team.

It very much looks like we are staring the down the barrel of another relegation battle and we are tied in with a guy with next to no experience of managing at senior level and no knowledge of the level.

Although I can't say I've been too impressed with Unsworth in his brief spell in charge, I think some of the reaction to his comments after the game are way over the top.

He was obviously angry, as we all were, and will have had little time to calm down after the game before having a mic shoved under his nose, and most of what he said was right anyway.

He hardly slaughtered Vaughn, he just mentioned him in regards to the goal. He might look back and think he should have expressed himself differently, but he didn't and it's gone now.

I've heard a lot worse from our managers over the years and no doubt will in future, probably sometimes from Unsworh himself, but I've never seen the point in dissecting every word they say myself, especially when emotions are running high straight after the game.

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Trying to put structures in place which will inevitably take time to bear fruit whilst totally neglecting the most important bit which is the first team.

It very much looks like we are staring the down the barrel of another relegation battle and we are tied in with a guy with next to no experience of managing at senior level and no knowledge of the level.

Ah, get you.  If we were in March with this squad then maybe you could raise a question about whether it was right to do it the way they have. But we're a long way from that point and they are actively looking to improve the first team.

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

Did he not say they made Nuttall an "unbelievable" offer?
Or are we all now in the conspiracy camp and saying the club made it all up?

Was I convinced when Unsworth was announced? Not really but the structure put in place alongside him has given me the hope that a long-term plan is forming. I personally will be devastated if the club is relegated again and to be honest, I'm just as twitchy as the rest of the fans are getting.

The choices for me are to walk away [not going to happen] or sit it out.
So, no choice at all really.

I don’t think it’s an Unsworth out campaign. From my point of view, I travelled to Bromley, Maidenhead, Chester, Altrincham and done all the home games bar Wrexham. In every single one of the games I have been to we start well (just as we did on Tuesday btw) and then after 10 mins sit back the whole game. From then on in, there is no style of play, there is no attacking threat, the restrictions placed on the players to sit back and not venture forward is clear as day, and everyone knows it’s not working. 

The best we have played during that time is the second half V Scunthorpe, and we ditched the 5 at the back and had a go at them. 

He is stubborn, we were heading out the FA Cup in the qualifying round and he still persisted with the 5 at the back ? He got saved by one of the lumps forward landing in Fondop’s head. Same happened Tuesday but we didn’t score, he could have switched systems and didn’t. I turned to my mate and said at half time Lee Johnson would have been making 3 subs, our sub players just passed it around all HT looking like they didn’t care. Which says to me DU has some major issues as a manager.

Add the above to the fact he’s been banging on about signing players desperately needed. Well we have a one month loan and Rooney who has been nothing short of terrible, so is he incapable of signing players? Can he identify players? I assume most were given to him on a plate at Everton. The players haven’t improved (maybe a case for Fondop, but is that Jeffers / fitness related). 

So in short, he’s stubborn, has no ability to change a system, can’t sign players and incapable of improving what we have got, signs of going going back on his initial word of not calling out players and talking about the passed and looking defeated 8 games in. 

Given the support the club has been getting, the positive change in attitude, yeah people are well in there right to be very very concerned and voice that opinion. 

Saying that, I hope he turns it around I really do, think he’s a nice bloke so please prove my concerns wrong. 

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

So in short, he’s stubborn, has no ability to change a system, can’t sign players and incapable of improving what we have got, signs of going going back on his initial word of not calling out players and talking about the passed and looking defeated 8 games in. 

Apart from all that he’s OK?😂😂😂

43 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m still pissed off from Tuesday can you tell ? 😂 That's what he’s shown so far to me, hope he can turn it around and change my mind. 

No, I couldn’t!!😂😂 TBH, until 3 or 4 players are brought in I guess nothing much will change!

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

...I turned to my mate and said at half time Lee Johnson would have been making 3 subs, our sub players just passed it around all HT looking like they didn’t care. Which says to me DU has some major issues as a manager...

I think you made a good post bar this section. I don't think you can base a manager's effectiveness on the subs kicking it around at HT. I have seen this loads of times when we were in the Prem and since then.

Archived