That Alty post match interview

Was a honest admission he can't or doesn't believe he can do anything with this squad. So, was it aimed at the players or the board?. 

I think even at this early stage there is tensions between management and the board. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he was just calling a spade a spade.

This team Shez largely put together is a fucking joke. Signing players based on the past, or how local they were to BP. 

A load of spineless, talentless and unfit excuses.

15 minutes ago, Lags said:

Was a honest admission he can't or doesn't believe he can do anything with this squad. So, was it aimed at the players or the board?. 

I think even at this early stage there is tensions between management and the board. 

If this continues we go down, dramatic I know but they've got to back Unsworth now, they've gone all in on him and need to back him.

1 minute ago, sjk2008 said:

I think he was just calling a spade a spade.

This team Shez largely put together is a fucking joke. Signing players based on the past, or how local they were to BP. 

A load of spineless, talentless and unfit excuses.

Rooney is Unsworths you know and he fits your criteria. 

But he's being stubborn himself with his head in the sand and won't change his awful defensive tactics.

Maybe the players resent it too.

To convert an attacking midfielder like Rooney into a defensive midfielder just doesn't make sense.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If this continues we go down, dramatic I know but they've got to back Unsworth now, they've gone all in on him and need to back him.

Rooney is Unsworths you know and he fits your criteria. 

Wow - 1 player. A player who has actually done something in this league but is surrounded by absolute garbage everywhere he looks, so it’s no surprise he also looks shit.

Im more than content on criticising DU for the way he sets us up, but this set of players he’s inherited are an absolute pile of fucking shite, the worst in my memory. That can’t be ignored.

We are a third the way through the season and make no mistake, this hopeless bunch of under achievers muddled together are definitely relegation candidates!!

We don’t even have the nucleus of a team and for me our tactics and formations are almost irrelevant!! 

Unsworth was biting his tongue in that interview and the trouble is if he had said what he really felt relegation would probably be nailed on. 

He has inherited a squad who are without doubt the worst we have had in living memory….he has a massive task ahead but hopefully he can manage to keep us out of the relegation places and then move on from there….

To ensure safety 3 or 4 quality players as a minimum are required, I just hope Frank and the board realise just what’s at stake!!

I didn't see or hear any part of the game but I have just watched the post match interview and the most telling part for me was when he said 'if the players don't think they're up for it, they need to come and tell me and they need to leave'. Well said.

As I see it, managers from high levels of football seem to get the handling of players wrong. Tactical errors are one thing, but why does it look like this squad are not putting in the required effort levels? (I’m not having this idea that they are unfit)

IMO you have to look at what will motivate a player to get the best out of them. Most teams we have played are full of hopefuls, wanting to make it at a higher level. Willing to go into the red in effort terms, to look good and win.

We have players on the way down careerwise. They are being paid lowish wages and no real “prospects” apart from continue as long as possible. The rest are young players who haven’t got a clear idea yet of what they can achieve.

So when DU lays into them and says, if you don’t improve you won’t play for me, they are thinking “I’m not bothered, I’ll find something else.” We have seen a much worse set of performances in this last game. Someone on the forum suggested DU has lost the dressing room.  Maybe he has. The problem for us fans is he is not going to be able to swap the lot till next summer!

It spokes volumes.  Bloke was seething.  

OK, his tactics are negative and defensive at the minute but isn’t this more to do with the players he has rather than how he would want us to play had he the players?

You can’t play attacking football if you don’t have the midfield or attack to achieve that.  He hit nail on the head that the players he’s inherited are soft and ineffective.  Set that team up without some element of defensive midfield and we’d be constantly on the back foot when each attack is broken down and the opposition waltz through our midfield.  Yes, that’s happening now but I’d bet we’d be two or three goals down each game if the formation and starting eleven was any different using our current squad.

We have too many squad fillers who need binning, proving their worth via the B team or loaning out and off the wage bill… Vaughan, Luamba, Windass, Wellens, Roberts & Burgess… and two players in Porter & Gardner wiping out a fair chunk of our budget that need paying off.  On Vaughan I don’t see it myself…would he sink or swim in the current team if a starter?  DU has probably seen enough in training…like the previous managers too.

Unable to prune 40% of the squad without financial consequences, do we have the budget to strengthen?  If we offered £ for Nuttall then there’s others out that a this level who could step up… Haughton perhaps but definitely a Fané type in midfield plus a creative spark.  The board have benefited from unexpected windfalls and gates 2k above what was forecasted.  We’ll be eternally grateful but without enhancing the product on the pitch, we’ll be soon back to 4K gates or less.  We need to safeguard those extra fans so the board need to act now before it’s too late.

Theyve invested heavily in DU and his team.  They come with huge promise and I’m still very much supportive that DU will turn the club around once he’s rebuilt the squad with his own players.  He needs to be supported financially with additions allowing us to succeed now whilst we then offload.

18 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

I didn't see or hear any part of the game but I have just watched the post match interview and the most telling part for me was when he said 'if the players don't think they're up for it, they need to come and tell me and they need to leave'. Well said.

That’d be about three turning out at Halifax then because barely any are up for it or, more to the point , up to it…

Worrying that we are into throwing players under bus territory already, rarely ends well. Get the impression the job is a lot tougher than he was expecting, hasn't got to grips with it at all yet and whatever messages are being sent out on the training ground clearly aren't landing with the players.

He's going to need significant help from the owners, assuming they have the means to provide it.

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

I suspect the players hate his back to the wall tactics and its showing through now.

I’ve just listened to the Unsworth post match interview - here are the standout comments:

“I can’t take many performances like that”

“How do you protect them from what my eyes have just seen?”

“I can’t defend the indefensible”

“It’s a huge rebuild that is required”

Well isn’t about time that you got on with it David?

8 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Playing Devil's Advocate have you thought Shez did this because he knew how f**ked we were financially and he wanted to maximise the amount of money on the pitch. Not have it go to various local hotels. Plus his experience first time round with the Lemsagams when a load of new players came in who were not making the team but were costing us thousands a month (sometimes a week) in hotel bills.

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

It spokes volumes.  Bloke was seething.  

OK, his tactics are negative and defensive at the minute but isn’t this more to do with the players he has rather than how he would want us to play had he the players?

You can’t play attacking football if you don’t have the midfield or attack to achieve that.  He hit nail on the head that the players he’s inherited are soft and ineffective.  Set that team up without some element of defensive midfield and we’d be constantly on the back foot when each attack is broken down and the opposition waltz through our midfield.  Yes, that’s happening now but I’d bet we’d be two or three goals down each game if the formation and starting eleven was any different using our current squad.

We have too many squad fillers who need binning, proving their worth via the B team or loaning out and off the wage bill… Vaughan, Luamba, Windass, Wellens, Roberts & Burgess… and two players in Porter & Gardner wiping out a fair chunk of our budget that need paying off.  On Vaughan I don’t see it myself…would he sink or swim in the current team if a starter?  DU has probably seen enough in training…like the previous managers too.

Unable to prune 40% of the squad without financial consequences, do we have the budget to strengthen?  If we offered £ for Nuttall then there’s others out that a this level who could step up… Haughton perhaps but definitely a Fané type in midfield plus a creative spark.  The board have benefited from unexpected windfalls and gates 2k above what was forecasted.  We’ll be eternally grateful but without enhancing the product on the pitch, we’ll be soon back to 4K gates or less.  We need to safeguard those extra fans so the board need to act now before it’s too late.

Theyve invested heavily in DU and his team.  They come with huge promise and I’m still very much supportive that DU will turn the club around once he’s rebuilt the squad with his own players.  He needs to be supported financially with additions allowing us to succeed now whilst we then offload.

Like Rooney I expect if signed he'd convert Haughton to a defensive defensive midfielder, he castigated Harry Vaughan for not closing down the Altrincham goalscorer, suggesting to me he's been instructed to track back. He's an attacking midfielder and should not have been in that position seeing we had so many defenders in the team.

The only attackers we have are Tollitt who frustratingly flits in and out of games and Fondop, who will soon get fed up if chasing lost causes.

Never mind he will eventually be able to call on 3 more central defenders in Hogan, Carragher and Sutton so he can play 6 of them together. What a mouth watering treat for fans to look forward to.

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

he castigated Harry Vaughan for not closing down the Altrincham goalscorer, suggesting to me he's been instructed to track back. He's an attacking midfielder and should not have been in that position seeing we had so many defenders in the team.

Every player in the team should work hard when out of possession - Vaughan is no different. 

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Like Rooney I expect if signed he'd convert Haughton to a defensive defensive midfielder, he castigated Harry Vaughan for not closing down the Altrincham goalscorer, suggesting to me he's been instructed to track back. He's an attacking midfielder and should not have been in that position seeing we had so many defenders in the team.

The only attackers we have are Tollitt who frustratingly flits in and out of games and Fondop, who will soon get fed up if chasing lost causes.

Never mind he will eventually be able to call on 3 more central defenders in Hogan, Carragher and Sutton so he can play 6 of them together. What a mouth watering treat for fans to look forward to.

Totally disagree. Midfield players are the engine room of the side besides linking defence and attack. Sure you'll have your more forward thinking player who has an eye for goal and another who is a holding defensive contributor, but they are a unit. Look at all the great winning sides anywhere in the world, they defend and attack as a whole team.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Advice to DU from an old timer.

Ditch your cautious approach and adopt the tactics big Joe used.

Cavalier football, in other words...we will always score one more than you.
Never going to happen, BP, the modern game doesn't go that way and neither do the players' capabilities.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Advice to DU from an old timer.

Ditch your cautious approach and adopt the tactics big Joe used.

If the present players can't do it bring in those who can.

Not saying it's right or wrong but I can't think of any (sure there are a few) wingers that play remotely like Holden and Adams did.  Maybe it's all been coached out of them and maybe that's wrong but if they're not out there he can't bring them in

Archived