That Alty post match interview

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What if such players don't exist?  That might be the reality for Big Dave and then what's he going to do?

Carry on lumping it up to Fondop on half-way, expecting him to dribble round four defenders and score and then when it doesn't work come out in the press and say his players are rubbish?

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Unsworth has said he is trying to get players in, but they have to be the right players and they have to want to come here!

If players were prepared to come here under the previous regime then I am sure players will be prepared to come here now.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If players were prepared to come here under the previous regime then I am sure players will be prepared to come here now.

Well these players seem to be being widely blamed for our current predicament, so I certainly wouldn't consider them the "right" players...

Instead of being quiet as mice, I'd like to hear from the board stating they understand what fans are saying about current performances and funding will be immediately made available to rectify the situation to provide the winning exciting attacking football we all want to see. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Instead of being quiet as mice, I'd like to hear from the board stating they understand what fans are saying about current performances and funding will be immediately made available to rectify the situation to provide the winning exciting attacking football we all want to see. 

That would be music to the ears......

....... of every football agent within 300 miles of Boundary Park who wants us to sign their clients and will push for more money because they know we are desperate.

I want the board to just get on with the job. They know full well results need to improve if they didn't John Sheridan would still have had a job, I trust them enough to know that will happen eventually.

I'm also fully expecting plenty of fans getting hysterical with righteous indignation after we lose more games this season and we will.

4 hours ago, Lees Latics said:

Some of the comments on here really make me laugh, I am convinced that our fans expect to win 5-0 every week. 

Some of you must be the type of person, that when playing football manager and you lose a game, you log out and log back in again until you win the game!

get a grip, DU has had no time at all with this team, if you lot had your way Joe Royle wouldn't have lasted more than 4 months. 

I would agree if I hadn’t seen what’s being dished out on the pitch. It’s awful stuff. I think Unsworth is 8 games or so in so of course he should allowed to build his team. But there’s been literally zero progress on the playing side and arguably we are worse now than when he started. I don’t care what he’s inherited, that can’t be right. We have won ONE league game . That’s not over expectant fans 

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

That would be music to the ears......

....... of every football agent within 300 miles of Boundary Park who wants us to sign their clients and will push for more money because they know we are desperate.

I want the board to just get on with the job. They know full well results need to improve if they didn't John Sheridan would still have had a job, I trust them enough to know that will happen eventually.

I'm also fully expecting plenty of fans getting hysterical with righteous indignation after we lose more games this season and we will.

Question is why did they get rid of Sheridan then? Let's face it they are getting a pretty easy ride at the moment and rightly so but now we appear to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

We are all in agreement that the squad needs strengthening that's not really up for debate, so what are we waiting for? We aren't going to be any more of an attractive proposition for a player in January it could even look worse by then so what's the plan? 0-0 our way to safety in this dogshit league, hemorrhaging fans by the week, bin of 90% of the squad and start again?. That's what it feels like to me but imagine the damage that will do going forward and getting to that point, I get it if there isn't a pot to piss in but I'm not sure that's the case, if there are funds available they need to be used because this team could take us down, Yeovil who we scraped by and were fucking awful have just sacked their manager, Unsworth doesn't have those worries but even he knows you can't polish a turd and we are a million miles away from being competitive particularly the way he sets us up.

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I cannot believe what I’m hearing on this board right now. We have constantly been seeking stability at the football club, we finally have it in abundance and we’re still not happy!!!

These players of ours are simply not good enough, tactics and formations are irrelevant, Unsworth has inherited a woefully inadequate squad that he cannot change overnight.

We have a fantastic new owner who is Oldham through and through and a vastly experienced coaching set up that we could have only dreamed about just a few weeks ago!!

We’re going to have to suffer for a while longer before things turn for the better….for God sake’s give this new regime some time. To be criticising them after a handful of games is frankly ludicrous!!!!

It's only ever about results. Was always about results. Shit owner just gives somewhere to aim your anger

35 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It's only ever about results. Was always about results. Shit owner just gives somewhere to aim your anger

Very very difficult to argue against that point because as we know football is a results business. I remember back in the golden age people used to moan about J.W.Lees being obsessively penny pinching owners!

At the moment it almost feels as though all the off the pitch stuff - getting rid of ALMOBO, bringing ground and club under the ownership of a sensible local family, starting to make ground improvements - is the easy part, compared to the playing side. For me, the jury is out on DU. 1 win in 6 and more importantly the style of play are clearly big negatives and nobody should criticise fans who part with their hard-earned cash to sit through 90 minutes of dross. But I have to believe that a guy who was allowed to run Everton's academy must know the basics. He's learning on the job and at the moment the football is probably as bad as it will ever be. I say give him to the end of January and see where we are then. I do think the Board could help him, not with the dreaded vote of confidence, but by arranging a fans' evening and spelling out clearly a detailed plan for the rest of this season and beyond.

25 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Very very difficult to argue against that point because as we know football is a results business. I remember back in the golden age people used to moan about J.W.Lees being obsessively penny pinching owners!

At the moment it almost feels as though all the off the pitch stuff - getting rid of ALMOBO, bringing ground and club under the ownership of a sensible local family, starting to make ground improvements - is the easy part, compared to the playing side. For me, the jury is out on DU. 1 win in 6 and more importantly the style of play are clearly big negatives and nobody should criticise fans who part with their hard-earned cash to sit through 90 minutes of dross. But I have to believe that a guy who was allowed to run Everton's academy must know the basics. He's learning on the job and at the moment the football is probably as bad as it will ever be. I say give him to the end of January and see where we are then. I do think the Board could help him, not with the dreaded vote of confidence, but by arranging a fans' evening and spelling out clearly a detailed plan for the rest of this season and beyond.

H clearly knows the game inside out. No chance a prem club are having him doing what he did for that time if he was playing awful defensive football and losing every week. I don't like how we're playing but I'm sure that's down mainly to the players we have fit and in the squad. 2 up top be nice but not imperative. We don't have another striker capable of playing with Fondop at the minute. Tollit isn't a striker. The 5311 he starts with isn't necessarily an issue if you've got the right players to flip that into an attacking formation in possession. We don't. We don't have wingers either so a 442 wouldn't be great as who plays out wide to get crosses in to the strikers? We don't have anyone who is decent at beating a man

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

H clearly knows the game inside out. No chance a prem club are having him doing what he did for that time if he was playing awful defensive football and losing every week. I don't like how we're playing but I'm sure that's down mainly to the players we have fit and in the squad. 2 up top be nice but not imperative.t is We don't have another striker capable of playing with Fondop at the minute. Tollin't a striker. The 5311 he starts with isn't necessarily an issue if you've got the right players to flip that into an attacking formation in possession. We don't. We don't have wingers either so a 442 wouldn't be great as who plays out wide to get crosses in to the strikers? We don't have anyone who is decent at beating a man

Carty would be an option, I was fairly impressed with his cameo on Saturday.

He looks just the sort to play off a big man.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

And yet on Tuesday it was like they hadn’t seen each other (fondop and Carty) . I didn’t go on Saturday but hardly noticed him on Tuesday to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I think Carty will start from the off on Saturday.

There are so many opinions on this thread and they all have an essence of truth and validity in them. There's not a cat in hell's chance that Unsworth and what we assume to be an expensively assembled team will be shown the door. They are going to be given time, we also need them to be given the financial resources.

If Unsworth says they continuously trying, then I believe him but the ethos has to be sold to any potential targets and we don't know if and how that is being done. I agree that the club needs to make some kind of statement of purposeful intent and the sooner, the better for the appeasement of the fans. They read this board, they're not stupid [I hope] and they need to do it now.

Meanwhile, we suffer the shite performances.

23 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Na your right. Let’s stick to loaning players who are going to play there first ever competitive match and signing players towards the end of there career. Fuck being ambitious and actually trying to sign some player who are of a decent standard at this level…

I am not saying they will all want to come, im saying we should go after them. We are the biggest club in this league, we should be seeking ourselves that way and the project as a whole. You just happy to be lower half of this league ? I am not ! 

Unsworth has said they are trying to bring players in, he's not said from where and which leagues, do you not believe him? What if none of them want to leave their clubs, take the risk of coming to what has been a beleaguered and volatile club with apparently very demanding fans?

I'm definitely not happy for the team to be in the lower half of this league, I want them to be back in the Football League, not football oblivion and I am extremely worried about another relegation, which would be a fucking huge disaster and the board must already be aware of that. I also do not think Latics are the biggest club in this league. Those clubs are at the top already.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:07 AM, sjk2008 said:

I think he was just calling a spade a spade.

This team Shez largely put together is a fucking joke. Signing players based on the past, or how local they were to BP. 

A load of spineless, talentless and unfit excuses.

Come on his hands were tied there. Teambuilding during a messy take over he had to get some bodies in and to a budget the Lemme's were going to sign off at! 

Not ideal but shez has brought fondop, sheron, tollitt, angel and maynard who been the best contracted players this year. They at least are of national competitiveness id say.

If hogan comes in and stays fit that adds some mettle too.

4-4-2 is key imo

13 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Question is why did they get rid of Sheridan then? Let's face it they are getting a pretty easy ride at the moment and rightly so but now we appear to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

We are all in agreement that the squad needs strengthening that's not really up for debate, so what are we waiting for? We aren't going to be any more of an attractive proposition for a player in January it could even look worse by then so what's the plan? 0-0 our way to safety in this dogshit league, hemorrhaging fans by the week, bin of 90% of the squad and start again?. That's what it feels like to me but imagine the damage that will do going forward and getting to that point, I get it if there isn't a pot to piss in but I'm not sure that's the case, if there are funds available they need to be used because this team could take us down, Yeovil who we scraped by and were fucking awful have just sacked their manager, Unsworth doesn't have those worries but even he knows you can't polish a turd and we are a million miles away from being competitive particularly the way he sets us up.

Sheridan was always the short term option. Unsworth is a long term choice he's clearly the Royles choice so I think they will give him every chance to succeed.

While we will be just as attractive an option now as in January clubs will currently be less likely to let their players go than they will be in January when the window opens and more players become available, clubs will be more willing to trade. 

Their is an arguement here to be had to raid the NL North but the flip side to that is some of the players in the national league may well have good jobs and may not be prepared to turn full time pro.

It's tempting to say get rid of this whole squad however I think 3-4 players in the right positions will probably improve some of the players around them. Any players signed from here need to be carefully chosen we need quality not quantity so if it means we wait our moment or for the right player so be it. We don't need bodies or someone that can "do a job" we need players who will go in and be in our best 11. 

I still believe that 2 attack minded wing backs will make a big difference to this current side. During the Dowie season we played 3-5-2 the wing backs in that system were David Eyres on the left and Josh low/Paul Murray on the right. They were attack minded wing backs. David Eyres scored 16 goals from wing back that season he was 38. Alot were from Pens and free kicks alright but it showed that we had the wide men were more wingers than wing backs. Eyres didn't get exposed defensively because we had Chris Armstrong playing behind him and atleast 2 defensive/ball winning midfielders who would cover for us on the left hand side infact we had one of the best defenses in the league that season. 

The board are probably still learning collectively about recruitment so too are the management team. But I think they will eventually get it right. I'm still expecting an improvement in the 2nd half of the season. I'm also expecting a few more Altrincham's too.

57 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Unsworth has said they are trying to bring players in, he's not said from where and which leagues, do you not believe him? What if none of them want to leave their clubs, take the risk of coming to what has been a beleaguered and volatile club with apparently very demanding fans?

I'm definitely not happy for the team to be in the lower half of this league, I want them to be back in the Football League, not football oblivion and I am extremely worried about another relegation, which would be a fucking huge disaster and the board must already be aware of that. I also do not think Latics are the biggest club in this league. Those clubs are at the top already.

I believe he’s trying to sign player, I don’t know why they are not coming. I think it’s purely financial rather than anything else. Pay the players the correct amount and they will come. 

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Question is why did they get rid of Sheridan then?  

We are all in agreement that the squad needs strengthening that's not really up for debate, so what are we waiting for? 

Precisely.

If we have just gone out and recruited an Everton "old boy" but it's "as you were" regarding the first team, that's just nuts. You may as well have kept Sheridan. You're not telling me for one minute that this bunch are giving it "any more" for a new manager.

Having boycotted for a couple of years under the joker, there was nobody more delighted than me with the takeover - and I`ve spent a small fortune following us all over the place so far. I never expected us to go backwards (on the playing front) under a new manager though - but we have. Anyone who saw us at Altrincham, particularly, will know that.

Some positions on here have conveniently changed i.e. :-

1) The general view from many was that any new half-decent coach/manager would be capable of getting far more out of the current squad than "the dinosaur" (as they referred to Sheridan). By that they meant in terms of motivation, set up, results etc.

2) So, in comes the new "half-decent" manager - and that theory is well and truly blasted out of the water.

3) Now it's the "he's inherited a shite squad and nobody could get a tune out of it" type argument.

There can be little doubt that Sheridan was forced to recruit by "emptying the copper jar" just to get a squad together under the joker whilst negotiations were going on in the background (they started in April 2022).

In my view, it's one almighty risk to allow Unsworth free with the cheque book on his showing to date. He HAS to prove he's capable of motivating and organising players first, surely?

So, I agree with yardog - why get rid of Shez when they did?

Utterly pointless without a coherent plan to build around the first team (not interested in the youths etc. personally yet - that should be a medium term objective). Our first and overriding objective should be pinned everywhere around the offices at BP - Objective -  "Get us promoted back to the EFL"

If that single objective was aimed for by everybody, it would engender a winning mentality all around. Certainly not something Unsworth seems to have in his DNA i.e. it's a defensive "don't lose" one. That won't work and needs to change rapidly.

19 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Precisely.

If we have just gone out and recruited an Everton "old boy" but it's "as you were" regarding the first team, that's just nuts. You may as well have kept Sheridan. You're not telling me for one minute that this bunch are giving it "any more" for a new manager.

Having boycotted for a couple of years under the joker, there was nobody more delighted than me with the takeover - and I`ve spent a small fortune following us all over the place so far. I never expected us to go backwards (on the playing front) under a new manager though - but we have. Anyone who saw us at Altrincham, particularly, will know that.

Some positions on here have conveniently changed i.e. :-

1) The general view from many was that any new half-decent coach/manager would be capable of getting far more out of the current squad than "the dinosaur" (as they referred to Sheridan). By that they meant in terms of motivation, set up, results etc.

2) So, in comes the new "half-decent" manager - and that theory is well and truly blasted out of the water.

3) Now it's the "he's inherited a shite squad and nobody could get a tune out of it" type argument.

There can be little doubt that Sheridan was forced to recruit by "emptying the copper jar" just to get a squad together under the joker whilst negotiations were going on in the background (they started in April 2022).

In my view, it's one almighty risk to allow Unsworth free with the cheque book on his showing to date. He HAS to prove he's capable of motivating and organising players first, surely?

So, I agree with yardog - why get rid of Shez when they did?

Utterly pointless without a coherent plan to build around the first team (not interested in the youths etc. personally yet - that should be a medium term objective). Our first and overriding objective should be pinned everywhere around the offices at BP - Objective -  "Get us promoted back to the EFL"

If that single objective was aimed for by everybody, it would engender a winning mentality all around. Certainly not something Unsworth seems to have in his DNA i.e. it's a defensive "don't lose" one. That won't work and needs to change rapidly.

Why get rid of Shez? Because it's a long term plan to overhaul the whole club and make sure we have the foundations in place to be successful. Not overnight but over time. Thought that's what everyone wanted?

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The overriding problem for Unsworth has been injuries,

Had all those players been at his disposal for every game since he took the position, I'm pretty sure we'd of done far better.

Until that time arrives, he really can't be judged 

And Shez...

4 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Obviously attendances go up when winning, down when losing. But who are you talking about here? The boycotters under the Lemsagams? People kept saying that at the time and I don’t believe it to be true at all. My guess would be the vast majority of those who boycotted the owners then are willing to see it through now and trust these new owners to get it right in time. 

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

And Shez...

Yes and Shez

The guy knows the score and I'm sure those around him are fully aware of it aswell,

our discontent has been festering away for what seems an eternity,

We simply cannot and won't accept that we've been reduced to nothing 

The unthinkable being reality, call it what you want.

Unsworth was clearly hurting and I trust him to do and say what needs saying, if he hasn't already.

Archived