That Alty post match interview

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

That is probably true but any decent players in the lower leagues that we go for will also have other offers or are happy where they are and that's why they are playing well and attracting offers.

The point is people just naming players to sign and assume they would want to come to us and then getting annoyed when they don't is just crazy.

I don't get annoyed that's not my job, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts County and I'm sure others have all done decent bits of business it's up to Unsworth to sell his vision for the club but I suspect Nuttall even if we were in for him probably looked at us and thought fuck that I dont fancy running my bollocks off and winning my battle to flick it on to fucking nobody in a 7 3 1 with the likes of sick note, Tollitt and Burgess pulling the strings in behind.

Doesn't help that Unsworth knows absolutely fuck all about this level and it's a point many raised before he was unveiled.

That was an unusual interview in lots of ways, and would worry me if I were you. 

Like others, I think publicly criticising players is a risky strategy - even when you're right. The "softness" he can probably do something about, but most of you say that basic quality is an issue too. So I'm not surprised that he is desperate to get new people in. It's a bad time of year to be trying that though. 

I see quite a few parallels with Southend from last season ; they were all at sea before Christmas, and they also had a manager who did not know the Division.  They had to address the manager issue and go through a couple of transfer windows to get where they are now, but they are proof it can be done. Bear in mind they also have an owner who acts as a dead weight dragging them down all the time, which at least you are free of now.

That said, the legacy the new owners  inherited will continue to hold you back until you look like a club that deserves to both attract and borrow talent.  And that will take time. At my club, our implosion was very long and drawn out and we were a pariah all the way through that process. I don't think you have ever quite plumbed those depths, but acquiring a new and better reputation also comes gradually.

I'd be interested to know where you are trying to recruit from. If you want added value, I'd be far more inclined to look at young and ambitious players in the NLN and the NLS, rather than seasoned professionals who are willing to drop down.

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't get annoyed that's not my job, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts County and I'm sure others have all done decent bits of business it's up to Unsworth to sell his vision for the club but I suspect Nuttall even if we were in for him probably looked at us and thought fuck that I dont fancy running my bollocks off and winning my battle to flick it on to fucking nobody in a 7 3 1 with the likes of sick note, Tollitt and Burgess pulling the strings in behind.

Doesn't help that Unsworth knows absolutely fuck all about this level and it's a point many raised before he was unveiled.

I think that is exactly what Nuttall thought!!!

I didn't mean you specifically gets annoyed but in general a lot of people seem to randomly name a player, mainly one that has had a good game against us, then assume it's their life's ambition to come and play for us. 

I agree Unsworth is untried, but we had to take a punt with someone. We have already tried every other type of manager. The only thing we haven't tried yet is to stick with it and not hire and fire.

I honestly don't know how a manager or coach cant see how wrong and ineffective this 5 at the back with 2 defensive mids is.

Leaves you so deep/invites pressure  and creates a huge space in the middle at the same time as limiting your attacking ability. A triple negative.

Wing back is a position that requires a very skilled player with a specific skill set, which we have on neither side.

It makes no sense to set up as we do.

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

I honestly don't know how a manager or coach cant see how wrong and ineffective this 5 at the back with 2 defensive mids is.

Leaves you so deep/invites pressure  and creates a huge space in the middle at the same time as limiting your attacking ability. A triple negative.

Wing back is a position that requires a very skilled player with a specific skill set, which we have on neither side.

Exactly this, if you play 5 at the back your wing backs have to be of a certain quality to be able to both defend and support attacks for width, ours honestly do neither.

The amount of times they get the ball, don’t attack there man, turn back and pass it to the centre back, who then lumps it to Fondop is a joke. Its not the fault of Clarke or Couto, they are never attacking full backs and Couto is still learning in the most vulnerable of positions. Why Unsoworth doesn’t see that I don’t know. Take the shackles off, stop being concerned that bloody non league teams might score against us and have a go at them. 

One thing is for certain, players at this level, including ours, cannot cope when a player is running at them or they are put under pressure. 

Weird isn't it, it's not like when we get everyone back there is any urgency to get forward, if it does go forward it's normally punted rugby union style with a 95% chance of losing it.

Unsworths staying I've no doubt, ha has a free hit till January at least when he can bring in half dozen or more, why he's obsessed with poor defenders grabbing a clean sheet is beyond me, play to score more than the other team, if we lose 4-3 at the minute who gives a fuck if we are having a go if we are winning every other week Dorking style, it's not what he wants and I know he's managed in Europe and the Premier League but he needs to swallow his pride, let the lads go out and Express themselves and then we may just look like a team worth watching, I'd be selling it as these lads playing to be a part of it going forward, like he says himself if they don't or want to get fixed up elsewhere they can sling it, I'd honestly be playing the kids this Saturday at least they play for the shirt despite over half of them not being ours.

The only time I have ever seen Wing backs work for Latics is the Dowie playoff season and the likes of Chris Armstrong playing there is a far cry from the players we have now. 

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

One thing is for certain, players at this level, including ours, cannot cope when a player is running at them or they are put under pressure. 

That is the one thing Tollit brings to the team, when he runs at teams you can see the panic he causes.  If he could start picking the ball up on the half way line facing the opposition more often we could really cause teams problems. 

17 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

That is the one thing Tollit brings to the team, when he runs at teams you can see the panic he causes.  If he could start picking the ball up on the half way line facing the opposition more often we could really cause teams problems. 

Yeah Tollitt is our only threat going forward other than lumping it to Fondop. Though, Rooney went mental at him for running with it yesterday when he could have passed it to Rooney. I would have done what Tollitt did as Rooney would only have passed it sideways, unless he was on half way like then he would have taken a shot. 

Not commented on this board as regularly as usual

Will continue with the prediction league but christ I said before its become like Twitter, some need to get a grip they really do 

No doubt some will be happy to see me go but jesus there's enough misery in the world

See you in the play offs 

28 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

If Tollitt could learn to go outside the man instead of cutting inside every time he would be a far better player. 

Tollitt was up against someone who matched him for pace last night and it rendered him anonymous.

Colclough has a higher release clause for another conference team and a lower one for a league team but is very happy where he is and has turned down approaches already according to my staunch Alty supporting mate.

The boy Lundstram in centre mid found it too easy last night, he looks a player in the way he gets around the pitch, his calmness on the ball and his technique. He highlighted what we’re lacking. Two proper centre midfielders and we’d be able to play a back 4.

The broke who scored who's on loan from Fleetwood is Jack Byrne MKII. 
Only 20 so will end up in the football league but as has been said above why in their right mind would either of them want to come to us based on last nights game?

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Should be signing Colclough and the lad who scored based on yesterday, they stood out a mile.  

FFS! What makes you think the club can just go and sign these players people keep touting around? They have to want to come to the club. Not going to happen, is it?

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

You know what, I remember seeing Tollitt and then Burgess doing this for the first and second goals against Dorking way back in August and I thought this wouldn't be an issue in this team.

Saturday's 2nd goal was kind of similar to this, other than that I don't think we've scored a goal like that at all this season.

26 minutes ago, Wardie said:

FFS! What makes you think the club can just go and sign these players people keep touting around? They have to want to come to the club. Not going to happen, is it?

With all respect to those around us we are one of the biggest draws in non league. We need to start acting like it.

He’s doing worse than shez, I’m sure he’s had an easy run also. He’s even starting to quote him “the players aren’t doing what I ask”. Worrying signs and he’s here for the foreseeable. Looks like we have put all are eggs in one basket. Hope he can turn it around.

47 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Na your right. Let’s stick to loaning players who are going to play there first ever competitive match and signing players towards the end of there career. Fuck being ambitious and actually trying to sign some player who are of a decent standard at this level…

I am not saying they will all want to come, im saying we should go after them. We are the biggest club in this league, we should be seeking ourselves that way and the project as a whole. You just happy to be lower half of this league ? I am not ! 

Anyone at Fylde pre season could see that Nick Haughton was head and shoulders above any player we turned out that day, why didn't we put a bid him for him like we allegedly did for Nutall, same goes for the lad Paddy was suggesting who'd jump at a move here Whitehall I think 50k and a bag of balls would probably do it.

Plenty out there if we really wanted to show intention but these one month youth loan deals are as short termism as it gets, not knocking the lads coming in I think Carragher and Okagbue particularly have been outstanding and a credit to themselves but we need a core and nucleus to build on now, look at County who I hope pip Wrexham this season, they went and paid money for Gatesheads best two players almost guaranteeing themselves goals and its paying off, just because we are Oldham Athletic doesn't mean we'll find this division any easier it will actually end up being harder but we've got to start building sometime and I don't mean by signing 40 year old journeyman made of biscuits or lads who've never played mens football. 

Where's the plan? Abdallah got roasted for doing the exact same thing on the football side and rightly so it's about time this all star board and coaching set up took some responsibility because it appears to me they are happy to sit back with their immunity whilst Rome burns, if they can't be arsed this season let us all know and we can find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon and we can go again next August, I'm a match or two away from doing that in any case.

5 hours ago, Lags said:

Do you want him gone or happy to give more time?

It's mute really as he is going nowhere unless he walks. They've gone all in with him and he's been able to bring in his own team, if we didn't win another game between now and Christmas he'll still be here.

Archived