That Alty post match interview

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Where's the plan? Abdallah got roasted for doing the exact same thing on the football side and rightly so it's about time this all star board and coaching set up took some responsibility because it appears to me they are happy to sit back with their immunity whilst Rome burns, if they can't be arsed this season let us all know and we can find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon and we can go again next August, I'm a match or two away from doing that in any case.

Weren’t you saying last season that boycotters were damaging our chances of survival? Support the team not the regime etc. Now you’re saying you’ll stop going if we don’t start playing better?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Exactly this, if you play 5 at the back your wing backs have to be of a certain quality to be able to both defend and support attacks for width, ours honestly do neither.

The amount of times they get the ball, don’t attack there man, turn back and pass it to the centre back, who then lumps it to Fondop is a joke. Its not the fault of Clarke or Couto, they are never attacking full backs and Couto is still learning in the most vulnerable of positions. Why Unsoworth doesn’t see that I don’t know. Take the shackles off, stop being concerned that bloody non league teams might score against us and have a go at them. 

One thing is for certain, players at this level, including ours, cannot cope when a player is running at them or they are put under pressure. 

mmm not quite sure he is playing wing backs. He’s playing them at full back in back 5. At no point have I ever seen him wave them forward as too deep. Out of possession he wants them in Line with the centre backs. It’s a long long way for them to get forward and relies on the front players holding it up which they can’t do as isolated. I’d say his tactics specifically stop them getting forward whether they have the skill for the role or not. If that was not the case u’d surely see him waving them forward from the touch line 

19 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

That was an unusual interview in lots of ways, and would worry me if I were you. 

Like others, I think publicly criticising players is a risky strategy - even when you're right. The "softness" he can probably do something about, but most of you say that basic quality is an issue too. So I'm not surprised that he is desperate to get new people in. It's a bad time of year to be trying that though. 

I see quite a few parallels with Southend from last season ; they were all at sea before Christmas, and they also had a manager who did not know the Division.  They had to address the manager issue and go through a couple of transfer windows to get where they are now, but they are proof it can be done. Bear in mind they also have an owner who acts as a dead weight dragging them down all the time, which at least you are free of now.

That said, the legacy the new owners  inherited will continue to hold you back until you look like a club that deserves to both attract and borrow talent.  And that will take time. At my club, our implosion was very long and drawn out and we were a pariah all the way through that process. I don't think you have ever quite plumbed those depths, but acquiring a new and better reputation also comes gradually.

I'd be interested to know where you are trying to recruit from. If you want added value, I'd be far more inclined to look at young and ambitious players in the NLN and the NLS, rather than seasoned professionals who are willing to drop down.

Exactly, also willing Division 1 loanees like Altrincham did with Conn-Clarke. 

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

In that case Frank will lose 2,000 supporters every home game.

I think you are right, BP. The Altrincham debacle was a turning point for many.

Gateshead on a Tuesday night 8th November is our next home game - and we'll probably have been hammered by Wrexham in the cup 3 days prior. The "true" Gateshead attendance will reflect the discontent of the fans regarding the awful product on the pitch. It's almost criminal to let this opportunity just slip through our fingers i.e. not seen such goodwill for years following the takeover - in danger of going up in a puff of smoke because we have a stubborn (clueless?) manager unable to motivate and organise a team.

7 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Gateshead on a Tuesday night 8th November is our next home game - and we'll probably have been hammered by Wrexham in the cup 3 days prior. The "true" Gateshead attendance will reflect the discontent of the fans regarding the awful product on the pitch. It's almost criminal to let this opportunity just slip through our fingers i.e. not seen such goodwill for years following the takeover - in danger of going up in a puff of smoke because we have a stubborn (clueless?) manager unable to motivate and organise a team.

I cannot believe what I’m hearing on this board right now. We have constantly been seeking stability at the football club, we finally have it in abundance and we’re still not happy!!!

These players of ours are simply not good enough, tactics and formations are irrelevant, Unsworth has inherited a woefully inadequate squad that he cannot change overnight.

We have a fantastic new owner who is Oldham through and through and a vastly experienced coaching set up that we could have only dreamed about just a few weeks ago!!

We’re going to have to suffer for a while longer before things turn for the better….for God sake’s give this new regime some time. To be criticising them after a handful of games is frankly ludicrous!!!!

Are we saying that 40% of our home gate is only there to watch winning and/or entertaining football?  I'm surprised we have that many glory hunting fans seeing as we've had no sign of hope for about 15 years.

29 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Postponed.

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I cannot believe what I’m hearing on this board right now. We have constantly been seeking stability at the football club, we finally have it in abundance and we’re still not happy!!!

These players of ours are simply not good enough, tactics and formations are irrelevant, Unsworth has inherited a woefully inadequate squad that he cannot change overnight.

We have a fantastic new owner who is Oldham through and through and a vastly experienced coaching set up that we could have only dreamed about just a few weeks ago!!

We’re going to have to suffer for a while longer before things turn for the better….for God sake’s give this new regime some time. To be criticising them after a handful of games is frankly ludicrous!!!!

You just said yourself the present players aren't good enough so don't you agree if nothing is done the situation will get worse?

I'm appealing to Frank to release funds for better players before fans drift away disillusioned.

Most are also calling  for the manager to ditch his ultra defensive tactic, although you might think settling for a backs to the wall no score draw at Altrincham is acceptable?

I doubt big Joe will want to see that ever again and hopefully told him so.

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Weren’t you saying last season that boycotters were damaging our chances of survival? Support the team not the regime etc. Now you’re saying you’ll stop going if we don’t start playing better?

Well I've stumped up the money for the season tickets so I'm hardly not supporting them financially, I'll continue to do that but refuse to sit through what's on offer at the minute particularly away from home which is dire. It wont be my non attendance that damages the club financially it will be all the POTD's, that money will be drying up at an alarming rate.

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Are we saying that 40% of our home gate is only there to watch winning and/or entertaining football?  I'm surprised we have that many glory hunting fans seeing as we've had no sign of hope for about 15 years.

You do know we had less than 3000 in attendance generally just months ago, it will just revert to that again until they are given some hope, rightly or wrongly that is how football works from top to bottom, all the goodwill generated is evaporating fast and people will just vote with their feet particularly when we go down the road for a local derby, sell out our allocation and can't even show some bollocks or muster a shot on target, it don't take Einstein to work out what's going to happen next.

47 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

At no point in the last 15 years has the football been as bad as it has been this season. If I start to pick and choose my games, that doesn’t make me a glory hunter. I sat through most games last season and even though we were crap, it was better than this season. I won’t be able to justify wasting my Saturdays on watching the dross currently being served up for much longer and I think that’s fair enough. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

They are there because of  the hope Frank brought, he needs to invest to keep that hope going or they will soon desert as happened under the previous regime.

Some of the comments on here really make me laugh, I am convinced that our fans expect to win 5-0 every week. 

Some of you must be the type of person, that when playing football manager and you lose a game, you log out and log back in again until you win the game!

get a grip, DU has had no time at all with this team, if you lot had your way Joe Royle wouldn't have lasted more than 4 months. 

21 minutes ago, Lees Latics said:

Some of the comments on here really make me laugh, I am convinced that our fans expect to win 5-0 every week. 

Some of you must be the type of person, that when playing football manager and you lose a game, you log out and log back in again until you win the game!

get a grip, DU has had no time at all with this team, if you lot had your way Joe Royle wouldn't have lasted more than 4 months. 

You been to the games and seen how we are setting up ?

I think everyone wants to give DU time, and are all clinging onto the hope that he will turn it around, but the football being served up currently is embarrassingly bad, and people are well in there right to voice that opinion.

24 minutes ago, Lees Latics said:

I don’t see many calling for DU head on a stick and paraded down Sheepfoot Lane.

His first interview was a great, fortress Boundary Park, hostile, tough to beat etc….

Since that interview I think it’s fair to say that many of us are a just a bit underwhelmed with the performances.👍

Just now, Lukers1 said:

I don’t see many calling for DU head on a stick and paraded down Sheepfoot Lane.

His first interview was a great, fortress Boundary Park, hostile, tough to beat etc….

Since that interview I think it’s fair to say that many of us are a just a bit underwhelmed with the performances.👍

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

You been to the games and seen how we are setting up ?

I think everyone wants to give DU time, and are all clinging onto the hope that he will turn it around, but the football being served up currently is embarrassingly bad, and people are well in there right to voice that opinion.

Exactly. As long as we’re not looking like heading for the trapdoor, he gets until this time next season for me - two transfer windows and a full pre-season. In no way am I calling for him to go. However the football isn’t entertaining in the slightest at the moment and unless there is an upturn in both effort and attacking intent, people can’t be blamed if they start giving games a miss.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You just said yourself the present players aren't good enough so don't you agree if nothing is done the situation will get worse?

Yes it will but change won’t happen overnight….show a little patience!

Unsworth has said he is trying to get players in, but they have to be the right players and they have to want to come here!
I’m sure Frank & the board knew this team weren’t good enough, just chill out and stop repeating the same comments over & over! 

1 hour ago, Lees Latics said:

Right, so we keep him on on the off chance he turns into the next Joe Royle?

I haven't expected us to win 5-0 since 1991..

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Unsworth has said he is trying to get players in, but they have to be the right players and they have to want to come here!
I’m sure Frank & the board knew this team weren’t good enough, just chill out and stop repeating the same comments over & over! 

But it has changed overnight, unbelievably we've got worse and you have to worry why after a few weeks in charge and Unsworth working night and day to recruit the only business we've managed is a couple of youth loans and a bad egg Barrow couldn't wait to get out of the club, is anybody buying in to Unsworth other than Joe Royle?. 

Of course he gets the whole of this season but if it's fair game for him to call out players surely us mere mortals paying for the privilege can voice our opinion on how he is doing or judge him with what we see with our own eyes?.

24 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

What if such players don't exist?  That might be the reality for Big Dave and then what's he going to do?

Carry on lumping it up to Fondop on half-way, expecting him to dribble round four defenders and score and then when it doesn't work come out in the press and say his players are rubbish?

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

I'm not calling for his head on a stick, but to get his head out of the sand by getting rid his awful tactics, sign a few better players immediately and provide some exciting attacking football. It's as simple as that with the right additions.

Archived