MATCH: vs Barnet (H) 12/11/22

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Bobbins again

Unfortunately I reckon Unsworth's near enough in last chance saloon. We've some tricky fixtures coming up and if he doesn't add a couple of wins by NY and achieve what would be 3 from 18 or 19 fixtures then we'll have no option but to cut losses

The need would be for seasoned firefighter to come in

Until then Unsworth has some quietish weeks to work on the training ground with his reshaped squad and so the run to Christmas will be telling on that front too. 6 weeks to sink or swim 🧐

He's already mentioned January before now, does he have something in mind or lined-up for when the window opens? 

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Well he’s brought in quite a few players, we now have a very bloated squad and look no better. The amount of money wasted already on players and back room staff in scary. Frank must be thinking what have I got myself into. He needs to go for me! 

How many has he brought in?

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

I was absolutely over the moon with the takeover and ended my lengthy attendance boycott immediately it was announced. I`ve watched football for a long time and it's clear Unsworth is not up to managing. I accept Shez was not for the medium/long term but we have subsequently appointed the wrong man for the job.

Mr Rothwell, nobody likes a manager merry-go-round but you're going to have to ruffle a few feathers and dispense with Unsworth ASAP. Peter Clarke's here now - negotiate with him/his club and let him cut his teeth in management. Unsworth is a disaster and it's so plain to see. We need action sooner rather than later, otherwise the unthinkable may become reality.

What is there to suggest Clarke will work? He's a decent lower league centre half. Unsworth was a quality Premier League Centre Half with an abundance of management experience. If we've made the wrong decision with him, we're gonna have to take time making the next decision.

Just now, Wardie said:

He's already mentioned January before now, does he have something in mind or lined-up for when the window opens? 

Unless proper transfer fees are paid for better players the new scouting coordinator is supposed to identify it will be the same disastrous results as now.

8 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

On paper, I was happy with the appointment. I want it to work. The backroom staff seemed spot on too. It's absolutely wank though and saying that we should give him time doesn't make necessarily make you a more level headed fan. We're shit and are getting shitter. There was enough in this squad not to be as shit as we were when he took over. He's signed more than half a team since he's been here. 

As with most fans, signs of improvement would buy a manager my time. There's been none. Something's gonna have to give either way in the next few games. We're going down without a change or improvement. 3 or 4 more games with the same story and he's going to have to go. It's shit and we can't afford to go down again; irrespective of how much we all want stability.

Hit the nail on the head. We all desperately want stability - but not at ANY cost (i.e. another possible relegation - doesn't bear thinking about). Nothing personal against DU but he's just not up to it. He's had 4 stints as caretaker manager (2 at Preston and 2 at Everton) and none resulted in him being offered the manager's job permanently. Everton knew him inside/out and he has legendary status there but poor results as caretaker (losing 5 of 8 games) meant he didn't get the job. They always saw him as a good youth team coach/manager.  

The JR connection has clearly presented him with his first opportunity as full-time manager. Both must now be really questioning what they have done. It's sad but now is not the time for sentiment. We've just sorted the "off-field" stuff and unwittingly walked straight into an "on-field" crisis. I don't thinks that's being dramatic - I`ve been to every game this season (except Wrexham which I saw on telly) - and we are rapidly regressing on the playing front.

Took the 9 yr old Grandson today.....I called him in the morning and asked 'Fancy going watching Latics'?

Just before the 2nd goal went in he said "I thought we were coming to watch Latics but i feel like we are watching Barnet".....out of the mouths of babes and all that!

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

It’s one of two things- he isn’t effectively communicating what he wants or the players aren’t listening. 

Neither oils good on Unsy. 

It's not just him communicating though, is it? If the players are not listening then either they are too thick to understand what he is asking or not skilled enough to carry it out.

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Do we really believe Unsworth is telling them not to close down the opposition? That would be bizarre beyond comprehension. 

Not high up the pitch they aren't the first half the back 4 passed the ball around and we never got near them. We never want to win the ball high up the pitch. Yet today even when Barnet were 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go their forwards were closing down our defenders because they knew by doing that it would atleast reduce the chance of us building up any pressure. In the second half apart from a couple of Tollit shots and a couple of balls in from Kitching we have not laid a glove on them.

I wouldn't mind us sitting in against teams if when we won the ball back we were good in transition sprinted forward and we counter attacked quickly and effectively but we don't do that either. 

5 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

What is there to suggest Clarke will work? He's a decent lower league centre half. Unsworth was a quality Premier League Centre Half with an abundance of management experience. If we've made the wrong decision with him, we're gonna have to take time making the next decision.

I know he was a fantastic help to Pete Wild when Pete had to step into the breach at Latics.  Masses of experience under different coaches, knows the game at a "lower level" and my gut feeling is that, at the very least, he will get the absolute best out of players at this level.  I think they would walk through fire for him - he's just that kind of bloke. Got to be better than what we have now.

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Hit the nail on the head. We all desperately want stability - but not at ANY cost (i.e. another possible relegation - doesn't bear thinking about). Nothing personal against DU but he's just not up to it. He's had 4 stints as caretaker manager (2 at Preston and 2 at Everton) and none resulted in him being offered the manager's job permanently. Everton knew him inside/out and he has legendary status there but poor results as caretaker (losing 5 of 8 games) meant he didn't get the job. They always saw him as a good youth team coach/manager.  

The JR connection has clearly presented him with his first opportunity as full-time manager. Both must now be really questioning what they have done. It's sad but now is not the time for sentiment. We've just sorted the "off-field" stuff and unwittingly walked straight into an "on-field" crisis. I don't thinks that's being dramatic - I`ve been to every game this season (except Wrexham which I saw on telly) - and we are rapidly regressing on the playing front.

That's it... There's got to be a cut-off at some point. I'm still hopeful he might turn it around but there's a ticking clock now.

I think new year is probably as fair as we can be. If we're not on an upward trajectory by that point, someone new can still "save us" from relegation. If we're still on a downward spiral, he can't have any complaints of being relieved of his duties at that point.

I just hope there was some kind contract agreement which would make it affordable to get rid. I suspect not... Of all the appointments we've made over the years, we've took a full backroom team who were well thought of at their previous employer. I imagine we'd have had to offer security we've not had to offer before. It just couldn't have been forseen how bad it was going to be. I suspect this will be a very costly appointment. 

1 minute ago, longtimeblue said:

That's it... There's got to be a cut-off at some point. I'm still hopeful he might turn it around but there's a ticking clock now.

I think new year is probably as fair as we can be. If we're not on an upward trajectory by that point, someone new can still "save us" from relegation. If we're still on a downward spiral, he can't have any complaints of being relieved of his duties at that point.

I just hope there was some kind contract agreement which would make it affordable to get rid. I suspect not... Of all the appointments we've made over the years, we've took a full backroom team who were well thought of at their previous employer. I imagine we'd have had to offer security we've not had to offer before. It just couldn't have been forseen how bad it was going to be. I suspect this will be a very costly appointment. 

Frank's £12 million looks like its going to have to cost him a lot more.

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's not just him communicating though, is it? If the players are not listening then either they are too thick to understand what he is asking or not skilled enough to carry it out.

Ahhhh, so they should be listening to all the coaching staff and not just Unsworth. . . . Maybe they should all do the presser if it’s joint responsibility. 

There’s a few in the squad with promotion under their belt. Maybe they’re just thick with certain managers. 😁

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Carty

Peck

Carragher

Roberts

Rooney

Clarke 

Kitching

Abraham. 

5 of those started today. 

So, out of those eight, Carragher is back at his parent club, Clarke and Peck have played one game, Abraham has played three games, Kitching has played two games, Rooney is probably not playing in his natural position, Carty is a speculative from the bench and I have no idea where Roberts is.

Not my idea of a settled team having had time to gel. I'm not defending Unsworth as clearly something is amiss but there desperately needs to be a settled team and game plan in place, neither of which seems to be the case at the moment.

He didn’t help himself when he effectively said the team are crap after Altrincham. I just think he’s out of his depth. He’s clearly struggled to sign players. I just don’t think he has a clue to be honest. 

Why the fuck was Fondop allowed to come on today when he was clearly injured? We played with 10 men as soon as he came on. Why was Maynard played in midfield ? Why was Sheron played at right back ? It’s baffling, the whole thing is. The only thing we can do is give it to Tollitt to run at the team, that’s the only half a plan I’ve seen and I think Tollitt just takes it upon himself to do it. 

We are in a mess off a cycle, you can’t keep signing players every week, the squad is getting so large now. We have just come out of an “easier” run of games and going into a hard run of games with others playing more than us. We could be down psychological by Christmas if we are not careful. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ahhhh, so they should be listening to all the coaching staff and not just Unsworth. . . . Maybe they should all do the presser if it’s joint responsibility. 

There’s a few in the squad with promotion under their belt. Maybe they’re just thick with certain managers. 😁

I thought DU said Boundary Park would become fortress?

I didnt expect us defending it like the Alamo though.

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

So, out of those eight, Carragher is back at his parent club, Clarke and Peck have played one game, Abraham has played three games, Kitching has played two games, Rooney is probably not playing in his natural position, Carty is a speculative from the bench and I have no idea where Roberts is.

Not my idea of a settled team having had time to gel. I'm not defending Unsworth as clearly something is amiss but there desperately needs to be a settled team and game plan in place, neither of which seems to be the case at the moment.

Rooney is a moaning piece of shit who has offered absolutely nothing every single game. I have no idea what is up with this plonker. 

24 minutes ago, Wardie said:

How many has he brought in?

Too many there all shit and when the next manager comes in, he will have to get rid and sign more. By my counting 6 maybe seven. That’s enough to be able to make a difference, if he had out about him, which he blatantly doesn’t!

Archived