Managerial Stats November 2022

Not for the faint hearted, look away now if you don't want your Sunday ruined, yeah?

3 points per win 1 for a draw - regardless of competition - from 2000 only. Pre 2000 not listed.

List by separate appointments:

image.png

• Bender changed the title to Managerial Stats November 2022
43 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I don’t think that’s even that bad it’s all we would have wanted from mr useless and he can’t even muster that. 

It isn't that bad - at least there was some indication there that Royle could get a result,

I find the comparison with Royle from some people utterly bizarre - Royle was a completely different set of circumstances and if the logic is "we should stick with a manager as they'll turn into the next Joe Royle, regardless of how shit they are", why wasn't there a massive campaign to keep Dunn, Kelly and Selim?

48 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It isn't that bad - at least there was some indication there that Royle could get a result,

I find the comparison with Royle from some people utterly bizarre - Royle was a completely different set of circumstances and if the logic is "we should stick with a manager as they'll turn into the next Joe Royle, regardless of how shit they are", why wasn't there a massive campaign to keep Dunn, Kelly and Selim?

It's a nonsense comparison. It's 40 years ago, in the second division, in a period of stability. Not at a Time when the club is in Real danger of being relegated to the sixth division. And I imagine Royle showed some signs of improvement too.

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's a nonsense comparison. It's 40 years ago, in the second division, in a period of stability. Not at a Time when the club is in Real danger of being relegated to the sixth division. And I imagine Royle showed some signs of improvement too.

Correct if you listen to Unsworth he's already managed in Europe, Premier League and done his time heading up one of the biggest academies in the country, chalk and cheese experience wise and I doubt Royle had been on all the courses Unsworths attended, Royle always came across as a decent man manager something that is obviously lacking in Unsworth repertoire as he has mainly been responsible for young players who know better than to cause problems and generally tow the line, he currently has a squad of 30 odd some of whom have strong personalities, steep learning curve me thinks.

16 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't think he did actually.

In Joe's first full season we nearly got relegated and were crap if I recall 

I just checked and we finished 4th bottom in 83/84.

I seem to remember we won our last few games and just stayed up.

Attendances were low and regularity 3.5-4k. I even seem to remember one maybe being below 3k on a rainy Tuesday night but may be wrong.

And to be clear I'm not making any positive case for Unsworth here, as he should be at least showing some signs of progress which he isn't, I'm just making the point that Royle wasn't very good in his early management career either.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bender said:

Cumulative:

Thanks for this Bender. Taking out the ones who only managed for one game each, our Mr Unsworth is rock bottom.

Doesn't surprise me at all as I think he is way out of his depth. I hope I am wrong and that those who seem quite happy for him to continue to provide boring, useless dross on the pitch, are correct in maintaining their faith.

28 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I hope I am wrong and that those who seem quite happy for him to continue to provide boring, useless dross on the pitch, are correct in maintaining their faith.

No one is "happy" with the quality of football and losing every week, how could they be? Literally no one has said they are happy with that. If you're going to counter a point of view, at least counter a point of view someone has actually made.

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No one is "happy" with the quality of football and losing every week, how could they be? Literally no one has said they are happy with that. If you're going to counter a point of view, at least counter a point of view someone has actually made.

I accept "happy" was the incorrect word but you probably get my gist nz?

57 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I accept "happy" was the incorrect word but you probably get my gist nz?

No. Its ridiculous. Saying give him proper time is nowhere near saying what we have seen is good enough. The next 5 managers could come in and manage ten games and not improve results. At some point somebody needs time. 

13 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

No. Its ridiculous. Saying give him proper time is nowhere near saying what we have seen is good enough. The next 5 managers could come in and manage ten games and not improve results. At some point somebody needs time. 

Time for what then? I've found myself saying the same but what does it mean?

My best mates a Boro fan, wanted Wilder to be given more time up steps Carrick with the same bunch of players and after losing their first game I think they've won three and drawn one, yeovil sack their manager after the worst display I've seen at BP ever they've since won one drawn two and lost one, most teams improve even if it's for a short period of time, Shez got them going last season and we went 7 unbeaten I think before Keillor Dunn missed that penalty and it all went pear shaped.

We are getting worse with each given game, literally nothing has improved, what are we waiting for? The longer this goes on the attraction of the club diminishes, we will again struggle in January because a player with a couple of options will choose Barnet or Solihull over us because they are in and around the playoffs, we play shit football are a strikers graveyard and Unsworth is doing nothing to dispel that, hiding behind the give him time and Royle had a bad start is lame, as at any club the buck stops with the manager end of, it's up to him to get us out of this mess.

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

My best mates a Boro fan, wanted Wilder to be given more time up steps Carrick with the same bunch of players and after losing their first game I think they've won three and drawn one, yeovil sack their manager after the worst display I've seen at BP ever they've since won one drawn two and lost one, most teams improve even if it's for a short period of time, Shez got them going last season and we went 7 unbeaten I think before Keillor Dunn missed that penalty and it all went pear shaped.

We are getting worse with each given game, literally nothing has improved, what are we waiting for? The longer this goes on the attraction of the club diminishes, we will again struggle in January because a player with a couple of options will choose Barnet or Solihull over us because they are in and around the playoffs, we play shit football are a strikers graveyard and Unsworth is doing nothing to dispel that, hiding behind the give him time and Royle had a bad start is lame, as at any club the buck stops with the manager end of, it's up to him to get us out of this mess.

But when do you stop firing managers after 10 games. The next one could bring about the exact same points haul

49 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Behind the scenes needs time but once the board set what they want almost any manager would be able to deliver that I’d imagine or carry on that work. There is a line in the sand for points per game as shez also managed this lot and to deliver worse when he’s been backed is difficult to accept. He’s massively underperforming with the first team and can only be given a certain time period when he averages such a low return. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

My mate’s a Sheffield United fan and showed me their forum after Wilder’s first few games in charge. Read a lot like this if I remember right. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

My mate’s a Sheffield United fan and showed me their forum after Wilder’s first few games in charge. Read a lot like this if I remember right. 

Wilder had already proven himself at Oxford and Northampton though. No one knew whether it would work out at Sheff Utd, but he’d earned some time and patience. Of course there’s nothing to say for sure that Unsworth won’t go on and be a success but sticking with him becomes a more risky move each week that we slide further down the table.

On 11/14/2022 at 1:25 PM, Londonboy said:

I just checked and we finished 4th bottom in 83/84.

I seem to remember we won our last few games and just stayed up.

Attendances were low and regularity 3.5-4k. I even seem to remember one maybe being below 3k on a rainy Tuesday night but may be wrong.

And to be clear I'm not making any positive case for Unsworth here, as he should be at least showing some signs of progress which he isn't, I'm just making the point that Royle wasn't very good in his early management career either.

I hate posts like this because they have me reaching for the Garth Dykes book as inevitably as a desperate hoof up the pitch to our lone striker 😂

We did indeed finish 19th in 1983/4, with 47 points, and won 3 of our last 4 to stay up. There were 7 home league games below 4,000, looks like the lowest was 3,428 v Shrewsbury, 7 April 1984 (we lost 1-0!). 

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

I hate posts like this because they have me reaching for the Garth Dykes book as inevitably as a desperate hoof up the pitch to our lone striker 😂

We did indeed finish 19th in 1983/4, with 47 points, and won 3 of our last 4 to stay up. There were 7 home league games below 4,000, looks like the lowest was 3,428 v Shrewsbury, 7 April 1984 (we lost 1-0!). 

The Great Escape Mark 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, Londonboy said:

I don't think he did actually.

In Joe's first full season we nearly got relegated and were crap if I recall 

Also, I'd forgotten, Joe Royle had a good first season (1982/83) - he took over in summer 1982 and we finished 7th. It was the following season, 1983/84, when we had a relegation battle.

Archived