MATCH: Boreham Wood (A) 06/12/22

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the game, absolutely gutted about the result.

Played the 4-2-3-1 formation seen at Maidstone.

Started brightly, went off the boil and were pretty poor going into the break, looked disorganised.

OK at the start of the second half but really improved after their goal and our subs came on, particularly with Peck dropping back into Gardner's holding role.

In the immortal words of Kevin Keegan, only one team was going to win the game after the equaliser, the rest is of course history.

I didn't really see any evidence that the time on the training pitch due to the blank week had been put to particularly good use.

They look really low on confidence which you'd expect after a poor run and not winning away all season.

We need a lucky break, but playing one quick striker up front against monumental centre halves isn't working for us away from home. Need Mikey Fondop back, need to do something different.

I'd be surprised if Unsworth walks, or gets sacked, after an unlucky defeat but the body of evidence for the prosecution is growing.

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Started brightly, went off the boil and were pretty poor going into the break, looked disorganised.

OK at the start of the second half but really improved after their goal and our subs came on, particularly with Peck dropping back into Gardner's holding role.

In the immortal words of Kevin Keegan, only one team was going to win the game after the equaliser, the rest is of course history.

I didn't really see any evidence that the time on the training pitch due to the blank week had been put to particularly good use.

They look really low on confidence which you'd expect after a poor run and not winning away all season.

We need a lucky break, but playing one quick striker up front against monumental centre halves isn't working for us away from home. Need Mikey Fondop back, need to do something different.

I'd be surprised if Unsworth walks, or gets sacked, after an unlucky defeat but the body of evidence for the prosecution is growing.

Sounds a fair reflection....

Well, that was fun!

Firstly, I can’t believe I just went to a league game with 801 fans (barely over 600 home fans!)

The ground itself was pretty neat and tidy and the staff very friendly so everything was going well…..and then the game started and it went downhill rapidly.

We are so lacking in energy and creativity it is unbelievable. We only came to life when BW scored and for ten minutes we actually looked like we could be bothered and for a brief few minutes after we equalised it looked like we would finally win another game but then we reverted to type and gave away what looked a pretty soft goal.

We were left wondering why the hell we didn’t play the whole match the way we did after they scored?

The other question when you are losing is why swap a loan striker for a loan striker?…surely leave them together as a pair to try and get the winner?

At the final whistle Unsworth went straight to the changing rooms and only Abraham came anywhere near the 186 hardy Latics fans, the rest just looked too embarrassed or scared or both…..pretty much the way they play tbh

41 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Another typical away performance from an Unsworth team. We had a bright first fifteen and an energetic attacking last fifteen to twenty minutes. In between we were poor and conceded possession far too easily.

For the second game running, the manager played Reid as a lone striker. He was marked by two defenders but his teammates continually played the ball in to him rather than down the channels. He worked hard but his game is not about holding the ball up and he was left an isolated and frustrated figure. He must be confused as to why he is being asked to play this way - I certainly am.

The rest of the team look so devoid of confidence that clearances and passes were rushed leading to inevitable mistakes.

Borehamwood had a very effective forward in Lee Ndlovu who gave our defenders the run around all game. He was strong and clever and was the focus of much of their attacking play.

We did have some decent attacking moves late on when we seemed to cut loose and actually have a go and we had Borehamwood under a lot of pressure. However a combination of bad luck and poor finishing let us down. 

In the end, the best player on the pitch in Ndlovu was allowed to turn in the box to score the winner.

What is evident is that too many of the team lack belief - body language and movement is slow and mentally so many look bereft of even the basic ability to make proper on field decisions.

We are still slow to react and seem to be easily pushed off the ball by sharper opponents.

I’m not sure that I can take much more of this to be honest.

David Unsworth is simply not up to the job. It is time to make a change.

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Not just one unlucky defeat is it though.

4 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

The attendance for Sunday's game against Torquay is going to be grim.

May be that which makes Frank says enough is enough .Unworthy has under estimated this league and we need a manager from this league who knows it.

I couldn't stand it any longer and went to bed thinking, atleast he's managed a bloody draw 🤬

Very lame of the man not to acknowledge those fan's who made such an effort to support him in what he isn't doing.

Yet again, we're seeing staying up as being acceptable and at this level,

We have two cup finals coming up and I don't want this man and his crew anywhere near it right now.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Very lame of the man not to acknowledge those fan's who made such an effort to support him in what he isn't doing.

Yet again, we're seeing staying up as being acceptable and at this level,

Just my opinion but I don’t get the criticism of him for not coming over to the fans - I wouldn’t at the moment, given the poor results. 😮

Also, I’m not sure that anyone sees merely ‘staying up’ as acceptable - it’s not acceptable but at least it would mean we didn’t fall even lower down the footballing pyramid.

Was there last night and even though we lost it was a 100% improvement on Solihull. 
When we went at them we looked like scoring a few times but we still give the ball away to easily which costs us every time.

Torquay and Gateshead will be massive matches but on last nights performance I think we can win them both 🤞🤞🤞

The double wammy last night besides the late goal for them was the M1 being closed near Northampton and not getting back to a very frosty Oldham until 3-00am 🙄🙄🙄🙄

34 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

no problem with him not walking to the fans especially if its not a lie that we were better.

A basic acknowledgement and gratitude to Guy's like Philwhite and Co, who made a serious effort to be there and for what?

The shithouse!

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Just my opinion but I don’t get the criticism of him for not coming over to the fans - I wouldn’t at the moment, given the poor results. 😮

Poor form though, isn't it?

"Unity" seems to be the buzz word about what the club needs to aim for and just not doing that simple gesture suggests that he thinks the fans aren't worth the effort.  You can't just acknowledge them when things are going well.  

Some people didn't get back to Oldham until 3am last night - as well as the shit football, if their support isn't appreciated, why the fuck should they do it again?

Also, the players seem to have the common decency to do it, even though they know that they'll get some verbals - so why doesn't he?

I know some some think it doesn't matter that he doesn't acknowledge the fans - I just happen to disagree and think it does.  Each to their own.

Shez always did it.  LJ always did it.  Even Bunn and Wild did it.  The Dowie fist pump at full-time back in the day was a mega moment of unity to show we're all on this journey together..

Archived