Sack him keep him?

People must have changed their minds since the last pole?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Sack him or keep him?

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

he finished one spot out of the relegation spots. lm postulating that Joe can see a parrallel, not making one.

the big difference is social media, thats actually how simple it is.

That was his second season.

We finished 7th in his first.

So, when he had a rocky patch of form a year later, he'd already shown he had something the year before.

Totally, totally different.

In fact no manager ever, ever has produced such poor results against a backdrop of also zero improvement to the eye and a backdrop of stability & backing off the pitch.

There is no comparison to be made, accurately or scurrilously, with Royle or anybody else because nobody else has ever been so bad.

He's peerless

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing I'd like to see is the job advertised, applicants invited and those that look promising enough offered an interview, lining a manager up whilst we have one in situ is what's got us in this mess, it still may not work but at least we follow a process - and finally whoever is successful should be rewarded and incentivised if the team performs not handed everything on a plate and promised the earth whether they deliver or not.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The other thing I'd like to see is the job advertised, applicants invited and those that look promising enough offered an interview, lining a manager up whilst we have one in situ is what's got us in this mess, it still may not work but at least we follow a process - and finally whoever is successful should be rewarded and incentivised if the team performs not handed everything on a plate and promised the earth whether they deliver or not.

I don't care about any of that.

Unsworth was surely one from quite a long list the Royle's would have had in mind to manage us now or in the future.

You'd assume Steve Thompson would have a few suggestions too.

By all means if somebody they didn't already know was to apply you'd hope any decent looking candidate would be given due consideration.

But I'd be amazed, and concerned, if our next 2 or 3 managers aren't already lined up depending on their circumstances at the time it becomes available.

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

If he does go, and it is beginning to look inevitable, then that brings a real dilemma.

The whole point of the appointment was to recruit someone who could oversee the complete rebuilding of the football side of the club but, clearly, the most fundamental part of that is acceptable first team performances and results. 

But now, embroiled in a potentially disastrous relegation battle, would the right step be to find someone else who might be able to achieve that or do we have to go for an experienced head to give us the best chance of avoiding the horror of regional football?

If one had to summarise in one sentence the ills that have befallen our club over three decades then it would be around the complete absence of any long term planning, but we are now in the situation where we may have no choice but to temporarily abandon any long term strategy to rescue the current situation.

I see your point, but the flip side is to say that, if Unsworth is sacked and the club follows a sensible process in hiring his replacement, it's potentially an even more attractive offer to a candidate to say that the club is very much into long-term planning (which I'm sure all boards say anyway - the difference in our case being that it's clear that they mean it, they have no alternative given the mess ALMOBO left us in). The new manager's job would be (a) keep us up this season, (b) be part of that long-term planning - much of which is the responsibility of the board anyway.

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

In fact no manager ever, ever has produced such poor results against a backdrop of also zero improvement to the eye and a backdrop of stability & backing off the pitch.

LJ at Barnsley and Ian thingy at Bolton. Was their record worse than Unsworth before their turnaround? 

Clutching at the final straw of the final straw..

57 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere but listen to this from 5 minutes in.....

credit to @gazapalooza on Twitter 

This angers me so much, not because he is saying it but because it’s true. 

He would have been a class signing and is probably the reason we’ve extended Abraham’s loan.

However, surely we’ve got enough forwards in Tollit, Fondop, Nuttall, Reid, Abraham, and Hope & Porter to come back if necessary, how many more do we need?

The acquisition of a RB and one or two midfielders is far more important.

We've got more than enough firepower. We need some sort of structure and decent tactics for said firepower to show its full effectiveness though. No good having all the attacking options without having any plan. Like others have said, our midfield is lacking and so is our RB position. I just want DU gone, if I'm honest. I don't think I've ever felt such a disconnection from a manager and the fans. 

• Matt locked this topic
  • Matt unlocked this topic
On 12/28/2022 at 8:55 AM, Dave_Og said:

If he does go, and it is beginning to look inevitable, then that brings a real dilemma.

The whole point of the appointment was to recruit someone who could oversee the complete rebuilding of the football side of the club

Maybe that was just more bullshit like a lot of the other bullshit that has already unravelled - eg, Shez has time, there's no more money for transfers......

Let's hope so.

• 3 weeks later...

Unsworth has to go. His record is appalling and his team shows no signs of development or improvement In fact they lack motivation and ability. He has failed to provide a formation to meet any of our opposition and has been unable to show us who his best team is.The player's must feel unsettled and bewildered as do us supporters. He really should be embarrassed by his own inability to create any sustainable success or evidence of progress of the team. He's been given ample time.We have been very patient but enough is enough. He just doesn't have the ability to be a Football manager despite probably being a pretty decent bloke.Left, by mutual consent would be nice to hear rather than sacked which is where we are heading. Please get rid of him Frank before it's too late.

Archived