Sack him keep him?

People must have changed their minds since the last pole?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Sack him or keep him?

This poll is closed to new votes

33 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Yip Colclough 

25th signing of the season. Pleased with it in terms of calibre of player but where on earth does he fit into Unsworths plans? We're either going 4-5-1 with one up front (why buy Reid and Nuttall) or finally to 4-4-2? Crying out for a centre mid and a right back.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LaticsLegend said:

Wouldn't worry about it. The source is a fantasist.

The guy’s on the phone in every week…supposedly speaks to Frank regularly and said the other week that Unsworth wanted to arrange a meeting with him.😆

He clearly has issues and cannot be taken seriously!

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The guy’s on the phone in every week…supposedly speaks to Frank regularly and said the other week that Unsworth wanted to arrange a meeting with him.😆

He clearly has issues and cannot be taken seriously!

Been blocked by all his accounts on Facebook just for pointing out when he cooies and pastes off here 🤣

I'd play two up top and Colclough and Tollit either flank but you need two strong midfielders to support that, one to hold and one to play in front, playing anymore than 4 at the back is a waste of time because they just hide behind one another, need decent solid right back and at least one quality CM for me still and a manager who can instill some fight. 

24 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

25th signing of the season. Pleased with it in terms of calibre of player but where on earth does he fit into Unsworths plans? We're either going 4-5-1 with one up front (why buy Reid and Nuttall) or finally to 4-4-2? Crying out for a centre mid and a right back.

is this Unsworths signing or is it Steve Thompsons signing?

I'd be surprised if Colclough is the last signing we make I will like you be baffled if we don't sign a right back and centre mid within the next month.

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

As suspected, you clearly have none

Was this directed at me? My apologies that I logged off straight after posting.

I haven't spent much time in his company. My opinion is based on a few interviews.

People in positions of (relative) power issuing threats seems to me to be a trait of a bully.

14 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Hes a shit manager but where is your evidence hes a bully?

An opinion based on his having a public go at the younger less experienced players who put a shift in rather than the seasoned pros who don't.

5 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Was this directed at me? My apologies that I logged off straight after posting.

I haven't spent much time in his company. My opinion is based on a few interviews.

People in positions of (relative) power issuing threats seems to me to be a trait of a bully.

Tbf he's had a go at seasoned pros and younger ones and the Harry Vaughan thing was blown way out of proportion

If he does go, and it is beginning to look inevitable, then that brings a real dilemma.

The whole point of the appointment was to recruit someone who could oversee the complete rebuilding of the football side of the club but, clearly, the most fundamental part of that is acceptable first team performances and results. 

But now, embroiled in a potentially disastrous relegation battle, would the right step be to find someone else who might be able to achieve that or do we have to go for an experienced head to give us the best chance of avoiding the horror of regional football?

If one had to summarise in one sentence the ills that have befallen our club over three decades then it would be around the complete absence of any long term planning, but we are now in the situation where we may have no choice but to temporarily abandon any long term strategy to rescue the current situation.

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think it’s fair to call anyone a bully without personally knowing them. However it’s clear as day he blames everyone and everything other than himself. In my view that tells you two things-  his ego is writing cheques his ability can’t cash, and he has no self awareness. 

I think you make a good point- to a degree. There are a few high profile politicians who I have never met who seem to meet the criteria to be a bully.

I agree with the last two sentences absolutely.

Perhaps in describing the random bloke alternative I had said something along the lines of

'thinks he is Billy Big Bollocks with no apparent clue as to how to manage and motivate, spends most of his time blaming others and threatening them...' that might have been a better choice of words.

Either way he appears out of his depth and unable to turn it around.

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

but we are now in the situation where we may have no choice but to temporarily abandon any long term strategy to rescue the current situation.

I think the wholesale recruitment of an 'established back room staff' may look like an expensive mistake if they all need to go when Unsworth goes.

But do you not think it possible to get a 'safe pair of hands' capable of getting  tune out of some of this squad in parallel with building back room infrastructure?

I think I agree with Paddy in that I don’t see them sacking him. If we have signed Colclough and paid good money for him, along with Nuttall, Reid etc, then to me their thinking is that we will pull clear of the drop zone soon, and next season, when everything has settled down and the new players settled in, we can have a right go at it.

it’s a dangerous game to play as he’s already lost the fans, and the atmosphere is as toxic as it was last season. They are running the risk of undoing all the goodwill built up by sticking by him, but I see him being here for a while yet.

11 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

I think the wholesale recruitment of an 'established back room staff' may look like an expensive mistake if they all need to go when Unsworth goes.

But do you not think it possible to get a 'safe pair of hands' capable of getting  tune out of some of this squad in parallel with building back room infrastructure?

Question would be who is in charge of building the football infrastructure assuming that anyone brought in has the sole priority of finishing no worse than 20th 

8 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s not even a debate anymore. He can’t win football matches, he has to go. Don’t care if he’s good at building the background stuff, ultimately he has to win a game of football consistently. 

What exactly is building infrastructure, developing the youth team? Only couto had had a sniff, he had a go at Vaughan then shipped him out. Developing  a b team,  that hardly ever plays, full of failed signings. Moving  the changing room and having breakfast together. It hardly takes fergie to do these, any Tom dick or Harry could have come up with them. Most of that is facilitated by knocking down walls, which I’m sure he didn’t do himself. Even if he has done wonders, those things are now in place for the next manager who will surely do better.

Have a look at Unsworth’s 1st interview in the archives on the official site, it’s a proper eye opener!

He alludes to inheriting a good squad of players that he can hopefully add to but that he’s more than happy if he can’t!!

He talks of improving the players and giving them the confidence to perform. How he wants to create a winning mentality, how he will get his players going into games, not just hoping to win, but expecting to win every game!

Even with a host of new recruits we are so far removed from achieving any of that its untrue!

Good grief, if he were to have a look at it himself he would be totally embarrassed!!!

lm a bit upset that he says 'lve never questioned the character of the lads' when he clearly does.

lm upset at results and lm upset at boxing day performance.

pretend new years day is probably gona be toxic as fuck and the comments from that norwich chap who got sacked seem like what may come from Rhino at wknd (or wnvr it is fucknows wt day it is anymore)

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Question would be who is in charge of building the football infrastructure assuming that anyone brought in has the sole priority of finishing no worse than 20th 

This problem immediately resides with Darren Royle, who is in an increasingly horrible position.

Surely there is an argument for Steve Thompson being the continuity figure on the football management team.

Your earlier observation of the crushing dilemma is apparent to most, we have a grim paradox.

I see everything improving off the pitch, credit to everyone involved, not least Darren Royle.

On the pitch it simply isn't working yet, more time and better players could reverse the appalling performance levels.

Letting Shez go early and moving forward with the long term vision was logical but it didn't feel good personally speaking.

It is possible to have the correct plan but the wrong man, still could be too soon to judge or we accept all the mitigation David Unsworth keeps raking up.

Another relegation should be viewed as unacceptable, as it makes a total mockery of the Rothwell investment, adding years to the timeline for rebuild.

This season was intended to be a pre cursor to a charge towards the top end of the league next season, yet we now are preoccupied with relegation.

The BPAS pod forced me to reflect on my stance on David Unsworth, instead of baraking for him to go, show faith in the Board to make the right decision (as they are in all other respects).

Surely we reach the stick or twist moment quite soon, making a change for someone effective in this dire situation, can communicate in simple language and restore faith ....

16 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Dean Smith has been sacked as Norwich City head coach after a run of just three wins in 13 Championship matches.

David Unsworth is still in a job at Oldham Athletic Manager after a run of just two wins in 13 National League matches.

Unsworth's overall stats read. Matches 17. Won 2. Drawn 6. Lost 9. Win ratio 11.76%. This puts him in the same league as Selim Benachour 11.11% and Darren Kelly 11.11%.

Oldham Athletic Managers

Just now, Mayfield said:

This problem immediately resides with Darren Royle, who is in an increasingly horrible position.

Surely there is an argument for Steve Thompson being the continuity figure on the football management team.

Your earlier observation of the crushing dilemma is apparent to most, we have a grim paradox.

I see everything improving off the pitch, credit to everyone involved, not least Darren Royle.

On the pitch it simply isn't working yet, more time and better players could reverse the appalling performance levels.

Letting Shez go early and moving forward with the long term vision was logical but it didn't feel good personally speaking.

It is possible to have the correct plan but the wrong man, still could be too soon to judge or we accept all the mitigation David Unsworth keeps raking up.

Another relegation should be viewed as unacceptable, as it makes a total mockery of the Rothwell investment, adding years to the timeline for rebuild.

This season was intended to be a pre cursor to a charge towards the top end of the league next season, yet we now are preoccupied with relegation.

The BPAS pod forced me to reflect on my stance on David Unsworth, instead of baraking for him to go, show faith in the Board to make the right decision (as they are in all other respects).

Surely we reach the stick or twist moment quite soon, making a change for someone effective in this dire situation, can communicate in simple language and restore faith ....

he will be looking at his dads first season and drawing massive parralells. so will Big Joe himself.

Just now, LaticMark said:

Unsworth's overall stats read. Matches 17. Won 2. Drawn 6. Lost 9. Win ratio 11.76%. This puts him in the same league as Selim Benachour 11.11% and Darren Kelly 11.11%.

Oldham Athletic Managers

and Joe Royle at a similar time into the job. that ended up ok. this is almost certainly a factor.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

what a fuckin stupid question.

Well hang on - it's not that much of a stupid question (although the suggestion the infrastructure is just the youth system might be)

The infrastructure is the youth system, but also owning the ground, improving fan experience, having the right board members, etc.

If the whole thing collapses because we sack the manager, it's not a very resilient infrastructure...

Archived