MATCH: Gateshead (A) 21/02/23

25 minutes ago, steveecky said:

Unworthy “we tweaked things at half time”.  Why? He had seen Gateshead play twice already against us and they played the same way each time. If he was any sort of a manager, he would have tweaked the way we play in training and before the kick off, not after a half that could easily have seen us 4-0 down. He plays a narrow midfield and defence giving space all night to their wingers and allows them to advance into our half with no serious challenge.

Sometimes a side can have the wood over you without there being a logical explanation for it, sometimes they are just better than you, that's sport.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, steveecky said:

Unworthy “we tweaked things at half time”.  Why? He had seen Gateshead play twice already against us and they played the same way each time. If he was any sort of a manager, he would have tweaked the way we play in training and before the kick off, not after a half that could easily have seen us 4-0 down. He plays a narrow midfield and defence giving space all night to their wingers and allows them to advance into our half with no serious challenge.

Sometimes a side can have the wood over you without there being a logical explanation for it, sometimes they are just better than you, that's sport.

Norman asked DU if he could go up for a corner kick in the last few seconds of the game and was refused.

That's like a manager saying we might concede another goal which could result in relegation.

That to me shows his mindset.

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Norman asked DU if he could go up for a corner kick in the last few seconds of the game and was refused.

That's like a manager saying we might concede another goal which could result in relegation.

I heard a podcast a few years ago with Gary Lineker and Danny Baker, and Lineker is adamant that keepers going up for corners cause more harm than good and they just get in the way...

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Martinez went up for Villa on Saturday in the 98th minute and that's exactly what happened (not the relegation bit)

For every Schmeichel, there is a Martinez 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Dean Bouzanis

Baker mentioned a keeper when they were talking about it (think it was Jimmy Glass) and the response was for every one time a keeper has caused carnage and his team have scored, there are 20 instances of the opposition breaking down the other end of the field and slotting into an empty net...

16 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I heard a podcast a few years ago with Gary Lineker and Danny Baker, and Lineker is adamant that keepers going up for corners cause more harm than good and they just get in the way...

He'd only drop the ball anyway...

Sorry if anyone takes offence to that.

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Baker mentioned a keeper when they were talking about it (think it was Jimmy Glass) and the response was for every one time a keeper has caused carnage and his team have scored, there are 20 instances of the opposition breaking down the other end of the field and slotting into an empty net...

So 20/1 shot we equalise rather than lose 3-1. Id take that

5 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Not worth the risk to get a last min draw with Everton in the cup then?

didn’t say that - I’m just allowing the counter argument that goalies going up at corners don’t work out as often as it doesn’t 

** awful grammar there I admit 

39 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You think one goal conceded worth it then in our case?

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

didn’t say that - I’m just allowing the counter argument that goalies going up at corners don’t work out as often as it doesn’t 

** awful grammar there I admit 

It's a fair point but it goes against the way Unsworth sets up in games when he is quite happy to flood areas with bodies and play the percentages, he generally leaves nobody up for a set piece preferring to defend in numbers and I'd of thought that would lead him to send the keeper up if for nothing but a numerical advantage. 

Just now, yarddog73 said:

It's a fair point but it goes against the way Unsworth sets up in games when he is quite happy to flood areas with bodies and play the percentages, he generally leaves nobody up for a set piece preferring to defend in numbers and I'd of thought that would lead him to send the keeper up if for nothing but a numerical advantage. 

agree with this, I’d rather he flooded the opposition half with bodies than having them all camped deeper than the Titanic in our own 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Who cares if the difference is getting a point or conceding an extra goal

Archived