MATCH: Gateshead (A) 21/02/23

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more huge red flags about DU tonight.

Playing against a team with a threadbare squad, who are in the relegation zone and 6 points behind us at kick off, and we leave 2 wide players on the bench to play 2 CMs out wide and sit deep hoping for 0-0.

And that's before you mention they have a CM starting who had 1 training session with the squad, and we give him 45 mins to settle in and get comfortable instead of putting the pressure on early.

Finally start pressing, get back into it, then move a centre forward to RM, sit back again, and concede.

We should have had a minimum of 4 points from these 2 games and be comfortably mid table, we've taken 1 point, we're right in the relegation mix and in serious danger with our run of fixtures.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I've been asked to moderate my posts to ensure they don't cause any offence or upset.

Fuck em

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Altrincham just signed 4 new players and scored 4 away at high flying Barnet tonight, including another goal from the aggresive prolific scorer Linney, who I was told we had better in the likes of Nuttall.

Maybe they give service to their strikers. Or do you reckon their strikers score cos they run loads rather than have chances created for them?

A few of these players aren’t even good enough for this league and I’ve come to the conclusion that formations are irrelevant. This team would struggle to play any formation.

Far too many are pedestrian and of poor quality and can’t even manage the basic skills of a pro footballer.

I’ve bought my Chesterfield ticket but they’ve been on a terrible run and I just know what’s going to happen.

We’ve had an easy run of fixtures and are still around the relegation zone, our next few fixtures on paper are far harder. I’m really not at all confident that we can stay in this division.

Iv’e said before there is absolutely no way this squad is equipped for a fight!!

Hogan is a liability, not only tonight but in recent games, putting pressure on his teammates. Yarney must be knackered having to keep an eye on him whilst doing his own shift.

Chapman should not even be near that squad, offers nothing and even tonight's commentators picked up on the many times he turned with the ball and passed backwards, playing out wide but never delivering a cross from what I can remember.

As for the midfield, apart from sitting too deep, there is a lack of urgency, each game we need 45 minutes just to get going.

The front 2 must be frustrated, I would think if they could have the service the Gateshead front line had, they would be scoring for fun instead of feeding off scraps.

Fair play to Gateshead they have played to their strengths and deserved to win tonight, over the 3 games we have played them, they have looked like the better team, built on a fraction of our budget.

Saturday I will be doing something else instead, sooner or later this team will get a right pasting, tonight the scoreline flattered us.

If a recovery was going to happen under Unsworth, it would have surely started by now.

There are ZERO signs of anything positive happening on the playing front. And the playing staff are shockingly inept. 

This season has been completely wasted, by giving a completely untried manager, who has repeatedly shown that he is totally clueless, and nowhere near what we require. 

We should be ashamed, that we have played Gateshead 3 times, have been outplayed 3 times, and not won 1 of them . 

As a team we are a shambles, we are awful to watch. And are a bloody embarrassment. Our fans deserve so much better, than the utter dross that is being served up.

27 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

they have trained enough to know each other now. U have to question tactics and what they are doing on the training pitch more than team spirit 

Great in training according to DU.

36 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

I know Reid should have put us 2-1 up but really it’s been terrible. Tactics again horrible, team too deep no closing down. Second half better but standard to improve on was so poor. Passing on a good pitch as bad as I’ve ever seen. Can’t argue, they should have scored 4 or 5 easy. With the better teams to come we are going to be in trouble 

3 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

If a recovery was going to happen under Unsworth, it would have surely started by now.

There are ZERO signs of anything positive happening on the playing front. And the playing staff are shockingly inept. 

This season has been completely wasted, by giving a completely untried manager, who has repeatedly shown that he is totally clueless, and nowhere near what we require. 

We should be ashamed, that we have played Gateshead 3 times, have been outplayed 3 times, and not won 1 of them . 

As a team we are a shambles, we are awful to watch. And are a bloody embarrassment. Our fans deserve so much better, than the utter dross that is being served up.

These two posts sum it up perfectly.

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

These two posts sum it up perfectly.

Yet Frank and the Royle's remain silent - oblivious to it all.

They are taking fans for granted and it will hurt Frank soon where it matters most.. in the pocket.

Cut your losses and find a manager with a reputation for good attacking football with an eye for a good player.

Just now, BP1960 said:

Yet Frank and the Royles remain silent oblivious to it all.

They are taking fans for granted and it will hurt Frank soon where it matters must.. in the pocket.

Cut your losses and find a manager with a reputation for good attacking football with an eye for a good player.

Come on. With your experienced eye what more can Nuttall do other than chase hoof balls? You haven't answered 

Another Unsworth omnishambles.

Hogan has been diabolical for weeks yet Unsworth’s ego won’t drop him for Clarke because he’s had a bust up.

We nearly got away with it with yet another great long range strike but, alas, we finally came up against a team with a backbone.

I said after Maidstone that I just didn’t feel as though the positive results were sustainable based on our performances. Tonight’s performance was not much difference to any others over the past few weeks. We had a good 10 minute spell, that’s all. We still didn’t muster any shots inside the box from what I can remember.

It’s utterly dire and there’s STILL no real signs of improvement. Are we allowed to complain this week?

31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Altrincham just signed 4 new players and scored 4 away at high flying Barnet tonight, including another goal from the aggresive prolific scorer Linney, who I was told we had better in the likes of Nuttall.

To be fair, and it's been mentioned on here before... But if Frank pulling the plug on Colclough because of his past was true... Then we were never going to be interested in a convicted drug dealer.

3 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Another Unsworth omnishambles.

Hogan has been diabolical for weeks yet Unsworth’s ego won’t drop him for Clarke because he’s had a bust up.

We nearly got away with it with yet another great long range strike but, alas, we finally came up against a team with a backbone.

I said after Maidstone that I just didn’t feel as though the positive results were sustainable based on our performances. Tonight’s performance was not much difference to any others over the past few weeks. We had a good 10 minute spell, that’s all. We still didn’t muster any shots inside the box from what I can remember.

It’s utterly dire and there’s STILL no real signs of improvement. Are we allowed to complain this week?

Has he had a bust up with Clarke? The talk in the hospitality lounge on Saturday was that Clarke got injured in the B team game...

11 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

To be fair, and it's been mentioned on here before... But if Frank pulling the plug on Colclough because of his past was true... Then we were never going to be interested in a convicted drug dealer.

Yet Altrincham gave him a chance.

According to that no one can be reformed.

Meanwhile we sign docile players like Chapman, Shelton and Nuttall.

BTW did you approve of Lee Hughes?

Just now, south east latic said:

Fair enough if so, I thought the story was he had had a bust up.

That is what Dave said on the podcast and Dave is obviously close to the club due to the interviews etc he does, so there may be some credibility in it. But what was said on Saturday was that he got injured against Fleetwood...

That tonight showed why playing the way we have been isn’t going to work consistently over a season. It’s got us a decent points haul recently but Gateshead had too many good players to give them that much space and time. And they didn’t make the defensive errors other teams have. 

The whole attitude/shape/tactics on the pitch seems to be of being afraid to lose. I think the players work for each other, there was a big defensive effort. The forwards get about the pitch and put pressure on at times. 

But he needs to work out how to get them playing without fear and to get more on the front foot. Not retreat back so far that Nuttall is playing defensive centre mid when we don’t have the ball and still be 10 yards further forward than the midfield. Gateshead must be down the bottom for a reason. We didn’t seem to know what that reason was. But they knew what our weaknesses were. 

Archived