MATCH: Gateshead (A) 21/02/23

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

No cohesion, no movement, poor passing, no pressing, and poor tactics! 
We don’t seem to get any time on the ball whilst continually giving the opposition the freedom of the park!

We are saying exactly the same things week after bloody week and absolutely nothing is changing.

I don’t know what Unsworth’s plan is but plain as day it is simply not working!!

👏 

It seems to me that our game plan is very easy to work out and bypass.

We set up very narrow and deep. This allowed Gateshead to employ one tactic - play it around at the back and then hit the wide men - we had no answer.

They closed us down far more quickly than we closed them down - and the majority of our clearances were straight to the opposition.

We need to keep hold of the ball better, both at the back and further up the park. 

That first half was abysmal and I cannot fathom why Unsworth, who sees what we see, waits until halftime to ‘tweak’ things.

Here’s a suggestion Dave:

Get the keeper to go down with an ‘injury’ and while he is being treated, call the players over for a tactical rethink mid match - simple huh?

We did improve second half and Reid maybe should have put that chance away. However we had Norman to thank for not conceding five in the first period.

Yet again another abysmal performance that does not fill me with any confidence for the tough run of games to come 😮

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, League one forever said:

No- that’s what it has been dressed up as. Because fans don’t want to be viewed as wanting somebody to fail- as they know it looks incredibly churlish to moan at winning.

I largely agree with you in the overall picture of things.

But you, or nobody else can discount winning as papering over the cracks. 

If he rightly takes the criticism for losing. 

He gets the praise for winning. 

. .   . Unless you don’t want him under any circumstances then even winning isn’t good enough because it’s just papering over the cracks- which is exactly what you’ve just said. 

You don’t want him. Fine. It’s very hard to make a case for keeping him, but it’s disingenuous to say you don’t want him to fail- because your post says it without explicitly saying it. 

No one wants him to fail - he IS failing!  The wins are flukes and the recent few positive results are not telling the proper story.  Form is temporary..

He changes pretty much every aspect about his game management and it's "Dave Unsworth's Blue And White Army!" all the way for me, but he just hasn't got it in him. If I'm honest, I do question the long-term benefit of getting the rub of the green in games recently - it's just kicking the can down the road.  The performances haven't improved - we've just got away with it.  There's no credit to Unsworth.

Last night is a truer reflection of where we're at.

I don't post much, but having watched the match via the NL video link, I think Hogan is a liability, he can't pass to an OAFC shirt just boots it up the park and his positioning is terrible. Whatever Peter Clarke has done must be sorted and PC must be swopped for Hogan, poor Yarney was covering for Hogan all the time. Last night Norman, Sutton, Yarney, Kitching, Rooney and Reid were the best of the bunch, so where were the other 5x players, again missing in action. Not going to mention Unsworth and his tactics, smug bastard he is.

25 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No one wants him to fail - he IS failing!  The wins are flukes and the recent few positive results are not telling the proper story.  Form is temporary..

He changes pretty much every aspect about his game management and it's "Dave Unsworth's Blue And White Army!" all the way for me, but he just hasn't got it in him. If I'm honest, I do question the long-term benefit of getting the rub of the green in games recently - it's just kicking the can down the road.  The performances haven't improved - we've just got away with it.  There's no credit to Unsworth.

They aren't flukes. The tactics just work against some teams and not against others. Hence why people say it's not sustainable if we are serious about challenging for promotion next season. We stand off and allow people time and space to make mistakes we can capitalise on.  Come up against a decent manager with an organised team, or better players who make fewer mistakes and we struggle to win.

I could sort of understand it as a short term fix when we were in the relegation spots. But now we're a few points clear we should be starting to plan properly for next season by playing in a way that takes more control of a game rather than be so passive.

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

They aren't flukes. The tactics just work against some teams and not against others. Hence why people say it's not sustainable if we are serious about challenging for promotion next season. We stand off and allow people time and space to make mistakes we can capitalise on.  Come up against a decent manager with an organised team, or better players who make fewer mistakes and we struggle to win.

I could sort of understand it as a short term fix when we were in the relegation spots. But now we're a few points clear we should be starting to plan properly for next season by playing in a way that takes more control of a game rather than be so passive.

Disagree - we rely too much on the opposition not taking chances.  Gateshead should have scored 5 last night, for example.  That's not tactical nous, that's just hoping for the best..

Unsworth after the HT tweaking….

“we got on the front foot and we were a lot more like ourselves from the start of the second half."

A lot more like ourselves……WTF is that supposed to mean?

The man is delusional!😡😡

2 hours ago, Careca9 said:

His interviews comment wind me up. “If we had gone 2-1 up the game would have been all but over’’. What game were u watching. They created chance after chance all night and should have scored 4 easy including a few in last 20. We don’t look solid and haven’t all season. 

Agreed. If he was referring to the Reid chance to make it 2-1, that came on 60 minutes. How would the game have been all but over? Especially as we were 2-0 up against these only a week ago and conceded in the 81st & 83rd minute. And has he forgotten the cup game against them where we conceded in the 86th & 90th minute? Saying if we’d gone into a (undeserved) lead would’ve killed the game is just very naive or words to try and blag the fans.

And the interviewer gives him an easy ride - describing the winner as a ‘cruel way to end the game conceding so late’. It wasn’t cruel, just shit. It wasn’t an injury time late late winner with no time to respond. It was 79 mins so with 4 mins of injury time we had 15 minutes still to salvage a point or even 3. 

11 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

And the interviewer gives him an easy ride - describing the winner as a ‘cruel way to end the game conceding so late’. It wasn’t cruel, just shit. It wasn’t an injury time late late winner with no time to respond. It was 79 mins so with 4 mins of injury time we had 15 minutes still to salvage a point or even 3. 

I'd just love it if the interviewer said "David, why was that performance so shit and what the fuck tactics are you trying to employ ?"

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

No- that’s what it has been dressed up as. Because fans don’t want to be viewed as wanting somebody to fail- as they know it looks incredibly churlish to moan at winning.

I largely agree with you in the overall picture of things.

But you, or nobody else can discount winning as papering over the cracks. 

If he rightly takes the criticism for losing. 

He gets the praise for winning. 

. .   . Unless you don’t want him under any circumstances then even winning isn’t good enough because it’s just papering over the cracks- which is exactly what you’ve just said. 

You don’t want him. Fine. It’s very hard to make a case for keeping him, but it’s disingenuous to say you don’t want him to fail- because your post says it without explicitly saying it. 

I want him to win every game. I expect him to lose many of them. That isn’t wanting him to fail at all. I’m not going to sit here after a win and say “oh, I’m not Unsworth out now” coz not only would that be fickle (been too many swinging gate fans doing this) but I know full well his football is unsustainable and the next bad run (when playing even slightly better teams) is right ahead.

Only something like 7 wins from 10 (as an example) would make a big difference. That isn’t ever happening. I don’t need to hope he fails coz I know he will. I’d love to be wrong but nothing at all suggests otherwise. We are just wasting time and seriously flirting with danger which is completely unacceptable at this point (with the backing he’s had). I’d not want to be going to Yeovil or having playoff chasing Barnet at ours needing a win under him to stay up. Shades of the season Wellens took us down. Couldn’t get a win in 8…we simply can’t do this again. 

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What about playing Yarney and Sutton at centre back, Shelton at right back and Rooney in the middle with Sheron...?

We can swop em around all over the place LS but the mindset won’t change. There is not a single leader anywhere in this team, even Hogan who is captain!

I don’t know whether there has been a fall out but for me even at 41, P Clarke in for Hogan is a no brainer!

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Maidstone are gone, Scunthorpe aren't going to get 10 more points than us in the remaining fixtures, the Dorking Warriors fluked a win last night but their form isn't sustainable.

A point a game for the rest of the season will more than suffice.

Looking at this lot last night it will not be an easy task!!

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What about playing Yarney and Sutton at centre back, Shelton at right back and Rooney in the middle with Sheron...?

@St92 nailed it for me when saying it probably doesn’t matter what formation we play (or combination of players) until we’re much braver tactically. The performances are always so similar because none of our attacking players are used high enough up the pitch. Sitting off just sees all our attacking options drop back out of position.

Agree that ‘resting’ Hogan and finding another CB combo might at least help tighten us up though.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Disagree - we rely too much on the opposition not taking chances.  Gateshead should have scored 5 last night, for example.  That's not tactical nous, that's just hoping for the best..

That's the same thing is it not?  Taking our situation out of it completely, if you did analysis on an opponent and saw they had a couple of midfielders who were dangerous 20 yards out but they were poor out wide, then you could let the team have space outside and focus more on shutting them down centrally.  If they had loads of space out wide and did nothing with it, that's not good luck, that's good planning.

My main issue with Unsworth is that it appears that our tactics are league based rather than team based. As if he's calculated that if we play this way against everyone we'll pick up enough points to move away from the relegation zone. He's probably right.  But it's not going to sell season tickets and it's not going to lead to a sustained challenge for promotion next season. It needs to change.

We have won one away game all season. And looked bloody awful in all of them.

We have won a few at home, but have looked awful in all of those too.

Unless someone addresses the problem,

there is a real danger that we will end up in the NLN.

And even though the players have proved to be nowhere near good enough, the team, and the club management must carry the can for the frighteningly precarious position that we find ourselves in. 

Just plodding on doing the the same old, same old, WILL lead to disaster. 

The problem needs addressing now. Over to you Frank.

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Question to Frank and the Royle's.

Why are you putting up with this drivel?

Exactly what we said after the match when we saw Frank and his entourage milling around the team coach after the match. I’m not sure if Frank knows much about football because if he does surely he can’t be happy with what he’s put some of his money into and what he’s getting in return. 

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

You and I both said for weeks, show us something, anything, to get behind.

He’s gone on a run of one loss in eight. 

Now it appears, your previous comments were hollow and nothing he can do will change your mind.

Fine. 

But just say that. 

No matter how many wins he gets from here you won’t him gone.  If we beat Chesterfield I’d expect you to say not good enough. 

I know he’s really struggling, I have said many times he isn’t capable of expansive football, and ultimately I don’t think he’ll be a success with us; which in itself is reason to let him go.

But not giving him any credit for a recent good run is just bizarre. 

Unworthy “we tweaked things at half time”.  Why? He had seen Gateshead play twice already against us and they played the same way each time. If he was any sort of a manager, he would have tweaked the way we play in training and before the kick off, not after a half that could easily have seen us 4-0 down. He plays a narrow midfield and defence giving space all night to their wingers and allows them to advance into our half with no serious challenge.

30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But not giving him any credit for a recent good run is just bizarre. 

I really don’t think the recent form is in anyway down to Unsworth. He hasn’t changed the tactics, he’s had to change the full back & striker due to injury & suspension, other than that it’s as you were….we have simply played some poor sides and got the rub of the green.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I really don’t think the recent form is in anyway down to Unsworth. He hasn’t changed the tactics, he’s had to change the full back & striker due to injury & suspension, other than that it’s as you were….we have simply played some poor sides and got the rub of the green.

I know - I’ve got it. 

Losses are his fault. 

Wins are his fault. 

Archived