MATCH: Gateshead (A) 21/02/23

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He was on a decent run of conceding goals too...

That’s when his CB partner was Hogan. Might be seen as more desperate chopping & changing, but would be keen to see how a Clarke / Yarney partnership performs. Or a Sutton / Clarke / Yarney CB three. But scrambling round for a RWB. 

No cohesion, no movement, poor passing, no pressing, and poor tactics! 
We don’t seem to get any time on the ball whilst continually giving the opposition the freedom of the park!

We are saying exactly the same things week after bloody week and absolutely nothing is changing.

We could quite easily have lost that game 6-2 and I’m dreading Saturday.

I just can’t see where the five or 6 wins are coming from and another poor run of results will kill us off!!

I don’t think the club could survive another relegation and Frank and the board will surely have to act if we were to lose the next couple of games!!

I don’t know what Unsworth’s plan is but plain as day it is simply not working!!

5 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

That’s when his CB partner was Hogan. Might be seen as more desperate chopping & changing, but would be keen to see how a Clarke / Yarney partnership performs. Or a Sutton / Clarke / Yarney CB three. But scrambling round for a RWB. 

Have we forgotten how awful we were in a back 5 for half a season? It's a formation that's used by bigger name managers like Conte who want to be able to call defensive tactics at home games a 3 at the back to make it sound attacking rather than defensive, it doesn't work with players at our level who aren't familiar with the system

28 minutes ago, St92 said:

Have we forgotten how awful we were in a back 5 for half a season? It's a formation that's used by bigger name managers like Conte who want to be able to call defensive tactics at home games a 3 at the back to make it sound attacking rather than defensive, it doesn't work with players at our level who aren't familiar with the system

Yeah we were pretty crap with a back 5. But that was with Maynard, Okabue & Carragher in there. It is desperate chopping and changing, but Sutton, Clarke & Yarney as a CB three could work with Kitching at LWB. And someone to plug the gap at RWB. 442 is the preferred formation at the moment and has got a few results, albeit some minging performances. And we have a CB at RB. And had two wingers on the bench tonight. 

Says a lot when we can all suggest various different formations and players, but each suggestion has probably been tried and failed miserably already or just creates a new problem within the team.

Then it must be the manager and coaching team who take the biggest share of the blame.

12 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Yeah we were pretty crap with a back 5. But that was with Maynard, Okabue & Carragher in there. It is desperate chopping and changing, but Sutton, Clarke & Yarney as a CB three could work with Kitching at LWB. And someone to plug the gap at RWB. 442 is the preferred formation at the moment and has got a few results, albeit some minging performances. And we have a CB at RB. And had two wingers on the bench tonight. 

Says a lot when we can all suggest various different formations and players, but each suggestion has probably been tried and failed miserably already or just creates a new problem within the team.

Then it must be the manager and coaching team who take the biggest share of the blame.

There's definitely no issue with Sutton playing RB in my opinion, he's looked better than anyone else we've tried there

I don't think the formation matters at all until we are more brave tactically though. Sitting off means all formations are likely very similar because the attacking players drop back out of position.

Realistically I'd like to see a 433 with a midfield of Shelton, Sheron, and Rooney playing more advanced almost like a 10, and a front 3 of Tollitt, maybe Green, and one of the ST (rather than playing an ST out of position)

Or a 4231 

But in either case, we'd have to be brave enough to say to the LW/RW to play further up the pitch, rather than as LB/RB#2

I'd take Williamson from Gateshead, got them playing some decent stuff on an absolute shoestring budget, made Unsworth look like a chump over the three games where we have been completely dominated, out fought and out played and been lucky to only concede the seven, it could/should of been double.

If he doesn't go now we might as well all pack it in and do something else because it's becoming nauseous and embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Dave’s interview after Maidstone mentioned the importance of this game and how playing Gateshead was very fresh in the mind and the lads will need no geeing up or team talk from him for this one!!!

Also, these played away at Southend on Sat with 10 men and a small squad. Hoped we’d be the brighter & fitter team!

Carbon copy of when we played Barnet at home on a Saturday and Alty went to Torquay for a Saturday evening kick off. They probably got home at 2am Sunday morning then rolled us over 2 days later as we put in the worst performance of the season. This time, it’s an even worse team than Alty and they’ve got barely any players to play. 

And there’s people still defending this prick for this sort of stuff that’s still happening 4 months later. Mind boggling stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd take Williamson from Gateshead, got them playing some decent stuff on an absolute shoestring budget, made Unsworth look like a chump over the three games where we have been completely dominated, out fought and out played and been lucky to only concede the seven, it could/should of been double.

If he doesn't go now we might as well all pack it in and do something else because it's becoming nauseous and embarrassing. 

In tonight's interview he praises Gateshead for their excellent  football, particularly in the first half.

He didn't mention most of his players looked as though they couldn't care less and just let them dictate play.

We also heard his favourite half time word 'tweak'.

You don't need to tweak DU if you get it right in the first place.

1 hour ago, south east latic said:

Another Unsworth omnishambles.

Hogan has been diabolical for weeks yet Unsworth’s ego won’t drop him for Clarke because he’s had a bust up.

We nearly got away with it with yet another great long range strike but, alas, we finally came up against a team with a backbone.

I said after Maidstone that I just didn’t feel as though the positive results were sustainable based on our performances. Tonight’s performance was not much difference to any others over the past few weeks. We had a good 10 minute spell, that’s all. We still didn’t muster any shots inside the box from what I can remember.

It’s utterly dire and there’s STILL no real signs of improvement. Are we allowed to complain this week?

No you’re not or you’ll get classed as wanting us to lose to get Unsworth out. 

He will manage to do that all by himself. Unless Darren Royle really does want to look completely incapable of running Franks club. Relegation isn’t an option and I hope he knows it!!!

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m no Unsworth Fan. 

But plenty on here have said that even winning is shit with Unsworth. 

If that isn’t wanting him out at any cost- I don’t what it is. 

Hasn’t the argument been (as has mine) these “shit” wins aren't sustainable particularly when we play better teams. And that no prolonged success can come of it. The past few weeks have been massive wall papering exercises. I know people want to show loyalty and be brave but I’m afraid now isn’t the time. We got a 6pt gap more thru fortune than design. The luck of easy home games & defender howlers has dried up. 

I personally didn’t think it would hit home for others vs Gateshead tonight but that was as alarming as a game can be. I’ve wanted him gone since Notts County away (it most likely would’ve been Gateshead at home but it got called off in a run of 5 games I gave him to get 3 wins) & I won’t change my stance unless there’s sustained reason to. Only a top half finish would have me even entertaining him staying. Doesn’t mean I want us to lose…it’s sadly that I expect us to. Quite a lot. 

48 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Hasn’t the argument been (as has mine) these “shit” wins aren't sustainable particularly when we play better teams. And that no prolonged success can come of it. The past few weeks have been massive wall papering exercises. I know people want to show loyalty and be brave but I’m afraid now isn’t the time. We got a 6pt gap more thru fortune than design. The luck of easy home games & defender howlers has dried up. 

I personally didn’t think it would hit home for others vs Gateshead tonight but that was as alarming as a game can be. I’ve wanted him gone since Notts County away (it most likely would’ve been Gateshead at home but it got called off in a run of 5 games I gave him to get 3 wins) & I won’t change my stance unless there’s sustained reason to. Only a top half finish would have me even entertaining him staying. Doesn’t mean I want us to lose…it’s sadly that I expect us to. Quite a lot. 

No- that’s what it has been dressed up as. Because fans don’t want to be viewed as wanting somebody to fail- as they know it looks incredibly churlish to moan at winning.

I largely agree with you in the overall picture of things.

But you, or nobody else can discount winning as papering over the cracks. 

If he rightly takes the criticism for losing. 

He gets the praise for winning. 

. .   . Unless you don’t want him under any circumstances then even winning isn’t good enough because it’s just papering over the cracks- which is exactly what you’ve just said. 

You don’t want him. Fine. It’s very hard to make a case for keeping him, but it’s disingenuous to say you don’t want him to fail- because your post says it without explicitly saying it. 

8 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Apparently I'm in the top 2 most reported forum members so any opinions that may offend or upset are strictly off the menu now.

Really, I don't think I have read any of your posts that are offensive, controversial maybe, but ffs. 

8 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Really, I don't think I have read any of your posts that are offensive, controversial maybe, but ffs. 

Yes, I have obviously offended and upset a lot of people, or a small number of people many times over, so can only apologise for that.

Good morning to everyone, hope y'all have a great day.

Feels like we actually went up there yesterday with the “let’s not lose” mindset. This is obviously 4th from bottom Gateshead away. Scraping gates of a 1000 together and being outplayed, over awed, bullied by them.  Fooking unbelievable. 

Franks loyalty is failing him. I can understand it because of his age.

I would expect more from his children though who I hope are young enough to consider that there might be other points of view and opinions than Darren Royles. They’d be very naive to continue sinking money into the club without considering alternative ways of doing things. 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

I’m no Unsworth Fan. 

But plenty on here have said that even winning is shit with Unsworth. 

If that isn’t wanting him out at any cost- I don’t what it is. 

They'll never be a stage where we win more games than lose under Unsworth,

This thick skinned rhino is immune to any criticism and if by chance we do manage to get safe,

Planning for next season wouldn't include him, regardless of how much he's left on his crazy contract.

His interviews comment wind me up. “If we had gone 2-1 up the game would have been all but over’’. What game were u watching. They created chance after chance all night and should have scored 4 easy including a few in last 20. We don’t look solid and haven’t all season. 

Archived