BPAS PODCAST: 6th Mar '23, S3:E28: At Least It Wasn't 0-7!

I'd have taken 6 points from the last 9 if you'd have offered them to me before the last three games. It's just bumps in the road...

Find all our links here!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking here

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Thought Paddy and I might be in trouble on the Laticsmind front for a moment..

I'm hoping that while there are people working behind the scenes to find new recruits - it's always Unsworth who has the final say on signings.  As Pete Wild said on the phone-in the other week, that's how it works for him.  If the players we're signing aren't "his" then I don't think that's the right way of doing it - Unsworth's got to work with them and will be in the firing line if it goes wrong (as he should be).

"It wasn't a bad day at the office".  Jeez...

Couple of talking points. 

We keep talking about the squad and how it still isn’t good enough- yet in the same breath saying; Boreham wood and Barnet have small squads, are bang average but are just well organised and difficult to beat. 

So by definition- they’re in the play offs with players that have far less pedigree/ability and with nowhere near the depth we have. . 

The squad obviously needs trimming, and needs one or two additions but there is no way we don’t have the basis of a squad that isn’t good enough in my view. 

The jury is out on the manager not the core squad. 

Matt and Andy said- there is no way he is telling the players to sit deep, and not do a high press. . . . I think that’s exactly what he’s telling them. Which is clearly evidenced in the games. 

If we had a style so far- I would it is defensive counter attacking. When it goes to plan, we play deep and with very little space between defence and attack. When we win the ball we try to break quickly, but usually because we are so deep we rarely have an out ball, so we lose possession and quickly have to get back into the defensive shape. 

I’m a pragmatist- and if this style gets results I couldn’t care less. But let’s call it for it was it is- defensive counter attack. 

I'll try to phrase it another way then;

Boreham Wood & Barnet have small squads, but are well balanced within them and have a strong enough starting 11, without having many standout players/names - other than the likes of Lee Ndlovu or Idris Kanu - to grind out enough wins to be near the top of this godawful league.

We, on the other hand are bloated yet still imbalanced, even with 3 or 4 "big names" for this level, and whatever starting 11 we put out there is always an obvious weak spot to exploit, without having enough creativity to break down an organised opposition.

This is not (entirely) the fault of the Head Coach in our opinion. It is a combination of the Legacy of poor ownership combined with panic buying whatever has been available and looks like an improvement, to ensure we are comfortably clear of the trap door this season.

With a summer to prepare, with a clear out of deal wood - lots of dead wood - and a handful of materially better signings (assuming they're available and we can afford them - what with all the dead woos that'll need paying off), we should be aiming for Top 7 (at least) next season. One hopes the tactics will be less sit deep and counter, which is not what the 2nd half at Barnet was, nor for much of the game on Saturday.

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

Boreham Wood & Barnet have small squads, but are well balanced within them and have a strong enough starting 11, without having many standout players/names - other than the likes of Lee Ndlovu or Idris Kanu - to grind out enough wins to be near the top of this godawful league.

We, on the other hand are bloated yet still imbalanced, even with 3 or 4 "big names" for this level, and whatever starting 11 we put out there is always an obvious weak spot to exploit, without having enough creativity to break down an organised opposition.

This is not (entirely) the fault of the Head Coach in our opinion. It is a combination of the Legacy of poor ownership combined with panic buying whatever has been available and looks like an improvement, to ensure we are comfortably clear of the trap door this season.

With a summer to prepare, with a clear out of deal wood - lots of dead wood - and a handful of materially better signings (assuming they're available and we can afford them - what with all the dead woos that'll need paying off), we should be aiming for Top 7 (at least) next season. One hopes the tactics will be less sit deep and counter, which is not what the 2nd half at Barnet was, nor for much of the game on Saturday.

I’d love to know where accountability lies for style of play when looking at a player. . . because either Unsworth is steering the club or he’s got players that don’t play how he wants. I think the evidence suggests- he largely gets the type he wants but not the specific player sometimes - (budget/availability etc) 

As you said - we lack creativity in centre mid. We had Sheron but then the ‘transfer committee’ have all agreed on Chapman and Shelton, both of which don’t bring that. So either they just think they’re good players and Unsy has to coach them,  or the committee are being asked to not look at creative players for the style of play. . . 

Personally I think he wants grafters over creativity, and the signings reflect that. 

For a relatively simple set up- the only really obvious gap that needs filling is a wide left player, as Dave the guest said - Kitching is pretty much doing all the work down the left side. 

Norman

Sutton

Hogan

Yarney

Kitching

Green

Sheron/Chapman

Shelton/Rooney

New player. 

Reid 

Nuttal/Fondop 

With the dead wood gone (not cheap) and another 3 or 4 signings to add some quality and depth; that core squad should be good to challenge next season. 

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

I know it isn't going to happen, but it wouldn't bother me if we were to dispense of Unsworths services once we are safe. 

It's only a small point, but the one player I wouldn't have subbed on Saturday was Rooney, if we were ever going to nick 3 points which we should have been looking to, then John Rooney needed to be on the pitch. 

41 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’d love to know where accountability lies for style of play when looking at a player. . . because either Unsworth is steering the club or he’s got players that don’t play how he wants. I think the evidence suggests- he largely gets the type he wants but not the specific player sometimes - (budget/availability etc) 

As you said - we lack creativity in centre mid. We had Sheron but then the ‘transfer committee’ have all agreed on Chapman and Shelton, both of which don’t bring that. So either they just think they’re good players and Unsy has to coach them,  or the committee are being asked to not look at creative players for the style of play. . . 

Personally I think he wants grafters over creativity, and the signings reflect that. 

For a relatively simple set up- the only really obvious gap that needs filling is a wide left player, as Dave the guest said - Kitching is pretty much doing all the work down the left side. 

Norman

Sutton

Hogan

Yarney

Kitching

Green

Sheron/Chapman

Shelton/Rooney

New player. 

Reid 

Nuttal/Fondop 

With the dead wood gone (not cheap) and another 3 or 4 signings to add some quality and depth; that core squad should be good to challenge next season. 

Personally I've only be asked to specifically look at 2 players, one an attacking midfielder and the other a box to box midfielder. I highly recommended both, but for reasons I wasn't privy to neither were signed. Other than that I've submitted many recommendations of my own.

I would have liked to have seen Macclesfield left winger James Berry here, but that wasn't to be.

As it happens I hear he's now out for the season anyway.

As Pete Wild said the manager stands or falls by his own decisions and I have to agree Yarney is an excellent addition.

More with his ability and attitude and DU won't go far wrong.

• Matt featured this topic
24 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I know it isn't going to happen, but it wouldn't bother me if we were to dispense of Unsworths services once we are safe. 

It's only a small point, but the one player I wouldn't have subbed on Saturday was Rooney, if we were ever going to nick 3 points which we should have been looking to, then John Rooney needed to be on the pitch. 

I don't think it is inconceivable there is a parting of the ways in the summer, circumstances depending.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Couple of talking points. 

We keep talking about the squad and how it still isn’t good enough- yet in the same breath saying; Boreham wood and Barnet have small squads, are bang average but are just well organised and difficult to beat. 

So by definition- they’re in the play offs with players that have far less pedigree/ability and with nowhere near the depth we have. . 

The squad obviously needs trimming, and needs one or two additions but there is no way we don’t have the basis of a squad that isn’t good enough in my view. 

The jury is out on the manager not the core squad. 

Matt and Andy said- there is no way he is telling the players to sit deep, and not do a high press. . . . I think that’s exactly what he’s telling them. Which is clearly evidenced in the games. 

If we had a style so far- I would it is defensive counter attacking. When it goes to plan, we play deep and with very little space between defence and attack. When we win the ball we try to break quickly, but usually because we are so deep we rarely have an out ball, so we lose possession and quickly have to get back into the defensive shape. 

I’m a pragmatist- and if this style gets results I couldn’t care less. But let’s call it for it was it is- defensive counter attack. 

100% agree with this, we have a team that is over coached with the number one priority being the shape out of possession, it's why we look so clueless with the ball particularly as a game wears on. 

It can work backing yourself to keep it tight and pinching the wins here and there but we just don't have the players for the level to see it through, we get very few clean sheets which means invariably we need a Plan B or C and on them occasions we look fucked.

You could argue it works and frustrates against the teams at the top end of the table who want to play but it is totally ineffective against teams like Boreham Wood and Wealdstone who come for a 0-0 but invariably go away with three points as we can't work them out. It will be much the same against Woking if we don't get an early goal. This is where the manager and coaching staff earn their crust by finding a way.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't think it is inconceivable there is a parting of the ways in the summer, circumstances depending.

I'd be surprised if we got rid of him in the summer.  He's pretty much hit his target for this season (survival).  I think the next window for him leaving is probably if we're struggling in October/November next season.

If he changes the majority of what he says and does, there's no reason why he isn't the man to take us forward...

Just now, JoeP said:

I'd be surprised if we got rid of him in the summer.  He's pretty much hit his target for this season (survival).  I think the next window for him leaving is probably if we're struggling in October/November next season.

If he changes the majority of what he says and does, there's no reason why he isn't the man to take us forward...

I'm not having it that survival was the target this season, if it was they may as well left Shez in charge.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Think if we limp to the end of the season and finish 18/19th then the heat is going to be on again.

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not having it that survival was the target this season, if it was they may as well left Shez in charge.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was no league position target for this season, other than avoid relegation at all costs. That’s different to saying that the target is survival. 

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Agreed on the first paragraph. 

On the second bit- looks like he’ll have to become someone else. . . 👀😂

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Think if we limp to the end of the season and finish 18/19th then the heat is going to be on again.

The heat's been ignored so far.  Relegation and relegation only will be the only thing that'll cause the board to act before next season, I reckon..

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Norman

Sutton

Hogan

Yarney

Kitching

Green

Sheron/Chapman

Shelton/Rooney

New player. 

Reid 

Nuttal/Fondop 

Of that lot, for next season, Green could be gone, Chapman sent back to Cheltenham. Only one of Sheron, Shelton or Rooney starts with 3 new midfielders in a 4......  

Or we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. with 3 CM's. You'd want to try to get Tollitt in a 4-3-3 for starters.

This requires us to pay off; which won't be cheap....

Leutwiler

McGahey

J. Clarke

Gardner

Burgess

Windass

I’m not sure I agree with what they were saying on the pod that he doesn’t tell them to sit back. It seems most games were happy to let the opposition to have the ball try and hit them on the break, and I’ve not noticed any change since he’s been here. 
I can’t understand why he wouldn’t try and impose the style of play he wants on the players he has available. That’s surely what any good manager should do, and should be his job anyway. 
All this ‘survival first’ bollocks is just that. We weren’t in a relegation battle when he got here. The season wasn’t even ten games old and we weren’t at the bottom, and he was talking about promotion at first.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I was a big advocate of parting with Sheri, but this is true. Even he would have kept us up.

As for the pod, another great listen, apart from the 90 seconds or so when David Unsworth said losing 0-2 at home to Boreham Wood was a good day at the office...

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I think he'd have been in bother if we'd had a bad afternoon at Chesterfield last week, but he's dodged that bullet and is here to stay...

16 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think he'd have been in bother if we'd had a bad afternoon at Chesterfield last week, but he's dodged that bullet and is here to stay...

Probs why he came across clapping. He knew the pressure was on that game. 

4 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Of that lot, for next season, Green could be gone, Chapman sent back to Cheltenham. Only one of Sheron, Shelton or Rooney starts with 3 new midfielders in a 4......  

Or we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. with 3 CM's. You'd want to try to get Tollitt in a 4-3-3 for starters.

This requires us to pay off; which won't be cheap....

Leutwiler

McGahey

J. Clarke

Gardner

Burgess

Windass

I think Green and Chapman will sign, and the likes of tolitt and couto give us a solid 17/18

I think you’d then expect to add 4/5 signings, but not many more- because like you say it won’t be cheap getting rid of the above,  but is a necessary evil. 

The biggest point for me though is this,  since he took the job- very significant money has gone into that squad already, and while it needs trimming and adding a bit. It doesn’t need an overhaul, it needs the manager to get more consistency from an evolving but talented squad. As other clubs are doing far more with far less on their relative budget.

38 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A crisis is never far away with this expectant fanbase, especially as plenty seem to have got it into their heads that we have a good squad...

32 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A crisis is never far away with this expectant fanbase, especially as plenty seem to have got it into their heads that we have a good squad...

That's quite a leap, I don't think too many imagine we have a good squad, whereas a lot think another manager may get more out of the players we have.

Every clubs fanbase are expectant, most don't get what they desire. 

Archived