BPAS PODCAST: 20th Mar '23, S3E30: Apocalypse Now

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think I'm repeating myself here, but it's possible for the board to have given him this season as a freebie given what's happened at the club, but for them to be much more expectant next season. It may even have been discussed at the start... eg "we're not going to apply any pressure for results this season because we're all rebuilding, but next season we expect to be challenging at the top of the division".

Just because they've been relaxed about league position this season doesn't mean they will always be so.

Yes, that’s fair and certainly feasible. 

I just think they believe in him and he’ll be given a hefty amount of leeway. In part for continuity and letting him ‘build,’ and in part because of much publicised relationship with Joe and Darren. 

Time will tell. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Royle taking over was before my time - what was his remit back then?  To maintain our (old) second division status or take us up in two seasons?  If it wasn't the latter, the comparison makes even less sense...

Unsworth has to completely change his approach to games for the promotion push next season.  It needs more than just signings - it needs a different mentality.  From game one we need to be going for the jugular.  The "new players will take time to bed in" excuse after we lose 2-0 at home to fucking Eastleigh or someone on the first day of the season won't be acceptable.  It's not just one game he'll have had - it'll be almost a full season and one game to get the system right.

Pressure should rightly be on from the off..

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Joe Royle taking over was before my time - what was his remit back then?  To maintain our (old) second division status or take us up in two seasons?  If it wasn't the latter, the comparison makes even less sense...

Stop us going bust, basically

53 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Unsworth has to completely change his approach to games for the promotion push next season.  It needs more than just signings - it needs a different mentality.  From game one we need to be going for the jugular.  The "new players will take time to bed in" excuse after we lose 2-0 at home to fucking Eastleigh or someone on the first day of the season won't be acceptable.  It's not just one game he'll have had - it'll be almost a full season and one game to get the system right.

"Joe, bring in few bargains from Manchester City and Leeds United and a player you liked when he was at Halifax.

Any who can be sold on for £1 million will be appreciated".

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Still bargains to be had, football never changes.

Indeed.  Unsworth (or whoever's supposed to be in charge of signings) aren't exactly pulling many rabbits out of any hats on that front either..

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Do you think if he’s doing ok next season, (8th - 12th ) he’ll lose his job? 

Not would you sack him, but what do you think the club will do? 

Personally I think he’s on the golden ticket for the smallest incremental improvement, and won’t be under pressure in the above circumstance. 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Personally I think he’s on the golden ticket for the smallest incremental improvement, and won’t be under pressure in the above circumstance. 

If we finish 14th, 12th and 10th in his 3 seasons do you think they’ll give him a new contract?

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

No, although I'm hoping Frank et al will find a mean streak that demands more...

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Yarney's done alright.

I can't see any of the others turning into the next Earl Barrett, though.

It would be quite a surprise if a left back, a right winger and a striker turned into the next Earl Barrett - albeit that Earl was played out of position for most of his career.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If we finish 14th, 12th and 10th in his 3 seasons do you think they’ll give him a new contract?

Frank might have run out of money by then with disillusioned fans and gates back to 3,000.

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It would be quite a surprise if a left back, a right winger and a striker turned into the next Earl Barrett - albeit that Earl was played out of position for most of his career.

Not really the point I was making.  Royle brought in players he can improve to sell on for a (sometimes massive) profit.  We might be able to do that with Yarney.  Doubt we will with the others.. 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Not really the point I was making.  Royle brought in players he can improve to sell on for a (sometimes massive) profit.  We might be able to do that with Yarney.  Doubt we will with the others.. 

I missed off my smiley face... :)

52 minutes ago, JoeP said:

not massive, but sounds like Tollitt will be sold. 

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Still bargains to be had, football never changes.

The big difference nowadays is that nobody can match the enormous salaries "earned" by top flight reserves/rejects bar those in the Championship gambling on getting in to the Premiership.

The game is, sadly, totally money orientated so picking up an Irwin, Barrett or Warhurst or a waning Johnstone, Quixall or Wilson is nigh impossible so we have to trade in the bargain basement and non-league.

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And Unsworth for extending the contract?

The fact that Unsworth went off him so quickly after he signed the contract suggests that the contract extension might be one of these "club decisions"!

Archived