Wrexham away

6 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I just tend to find that Carveries sell terrible beer and lack lots of soul and character. Green King tend to run these kind of places and are the pioneers of terrible beer. The place at scunny away being the prime example.

They’ve severely damaged their reputation over the years. For the record, though, the Abbot Ale served by the landlord of the Champion of the Thames in King Street, Cambridge in the late 1970s (and into the 1980s) remains one of the greatest beers I’ve ever drunk anywhere in the world.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2023 at 11:13 PM, Red Adair said:

Looking forward to this one. Should be a good atmosphere with another 10k crowd.  Everyone got their tkts? I see your results have been a mixed bag in recent weeks and I’m expecting a close game. 

You've only gave us 800 tickets. All sold out, I don't think they got to open sale.

We took 800 to Torquay, but I know why you only gave us that many.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:33 PM, welshgaz said:

Any recommendations for a family friendly pub that lets away fans in?

No Green King pubs or Carveries please.

The football ground guide https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/conference/conference-premier/wrexham-afc-racecourse-ground.html has a number of recommendations for away fans. 

One of which is the Plas Coch (Red Dragon to most of us) https://www.plascochpub.co.uk/ that is a Marston's, are they connected to Greene King?

16 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

The football ground guide https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/conference/conference-premier/wrexham-afc-racecourse-ground.html has a number of recommendations for away fans. 

One of which is the Plas Coch (Red Dragon to most of us) https://www.plascochpub.co.uk/ that is a Marston's, are they connected to Greene King?

No

The Carrion Crow on Huddersfield Road is/was a Marston's pub under the old landlord, Tony. The beer was always excellent when he had it and they were often in the Good Beer Guide which isn't easy to achieve for a community pub in an unglamorous area. Should say the beer may still be excellent but I've not been in for a while. 

They are prob top lg2 / bottom lg 1 standard, but everyone is beatable on the day. It’s a free hit and if we go out work hard play freely we have a few decent players who could nick a goal. However, I expect us to be beat in the changing room before kick off when we set up on edge of box with no clear counter attack plan. 

albeit the negativity do want to comment that it was good to see Unsy say post Wealdstone that those are games next year we have to win so he does understand the task ahead. Just hope he see’s this as a free hit rather than try and sneak a 0-0 

18 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

They are prob top lg2 / bottom lg 1 standard, but everyone is beatable on the day. It’s a free hit and if we go out work hard play freely we have a few decent players who could nick a goal. However, I expect us to be beat in the changing room before kick off when we set up on edge of box with no clear counter attack plan. 

albeit the negativity do want to comment that it was good to see Unsy say post Wealdstone that those are games next year we have to win so he does understand the task ahead. Just hope he see’s this as a free hit rather than try and sneak a 0-0 

I think he said this last time about the game against these in the cup and we were embarrassing.

I hope he does his research and comes up with a robust plan of how to beat these.  This is his last chance of the season to show what he's really about.  Show us that we're scared of no one and give a genuinely good account of ourselves against a good side.

A good opportunity if we want to lay down a marker for next season if these players in this team are serious about being an integral part of a promotion chasing team next season then this would be a good test for them.

The fact that they need to win probably helps if anything the pressure will be on them abd as results at Chesterfield and Barnet and even the home win against Woking show we are probably better of when playing against teams who will try and take the game to us. Wouldn't be surprised to see us sneak a result here. Then again I thought we'd do that in the reverse fixture early in the season and we were until the 89th minute.

1 hour ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I know you're right but I don't know how that's possible

Well there were some problems with people's requests going through so it looked like they bought 2 tickets instead of 1.

There's usually some people who: 

1.) end up staying in the pub, it was such a nice day I don't blame them. 

2.) don't make the game for traffic etc. 

3.) Think there may have been a few who couldn't get out of their local bed after going too strong the night before too. 

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Thanks mate. Not sure but we’ve agreed to meet at one of the ones mentioned further up this thread. 

Do we expect to set up 532 given their attacking prowess and the way we finished the game against Wealdstone? As much as the formation Clarke offers calmness, leadership and reassurance to the other players as much as the fans. I'm fascinated as to whether we sign him next season, he's good enough for this division for me and there are so many additional benefits.

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Do we expect to set up 532 given their attacking prowess and the way we finished the game against Wealdstone? As much as the formation Clarke offers calmness, leadership and reassurance to the other players as much as the fans. I'm fascinated as to whether we sign him next season, he's good enough for this division for me and there are so many additional benefits.

I'm convinced we'll match them up with a 352. So the midfield 3 would be interesting. Would have to be Sheron, Shelton and Rooney for me but we finished with Chapman on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

When we play 352 it invariably looks more like 532, I think it does for most teams. I don't think Chapman is particularly effective defensively although he does have a good engine so Rooney might survive, I hope so.

Not sure about that as Kitching especially plays quite far forward. It depends on the opposition I guess, so against Wrexham it probably would be more defensive as they're more likely to push us back.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:11 PM, O.A.F.C. said:

Is there anywhere to drink near the ground? Or is everywhere home fans only? 

The Plas Coch pub allows away fans. Very near to the ground.

The city centre pubs and bars will welcome anyone not in dickhead mode. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:33 PM, welshgaz said:

Any recommendations for a family friendly pub that lets away fans in?

No Green King pubs or Carveries please.

The Plough in Gresford.  Just off the A483 and 5 mins drive from the Racecourse

On 3/28/2023 at 6:21 PM, daniel said:

Anyone know of any nearby pubs showing the dinner time BT game that are obviously safe and allow away fans?

Hill Street Social.  A 3 floor sports bar in the city centre. (Owned by ex footballer Barry Horne)   Does get busy but a good atmosphere. 

Archived