Peter Clarke

Peter Clarke - nothing but respect for him.

Time waits for no man and Clarkey is only human. If, however, scores of players for Latics over the years had shown his grit, determination and professionalism, we probably wouldn't be in non-league, even in spite of shit ownership for a long time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shrek said:

Could we not have signed an experienced warhorse centre half who can still perform instead?

Plenty of those knocking about.

Signing for the fans was Clarke, not the manager IMO.

It depends if the club wanted some of his age and experience to play every game. . . and I don’t think he was brought in for that, so your point is moot.

He’s at an age now, where I’d still offer him another year- purely to help us see out games next season, or play the odd game as and when required. His character and leadership would be invaluable.

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It depends if the club wanted some of his age and experience to play every game. . . and I don’t think he was brought in for that, so your point is moot.

He’s at an age now, where I’d still offer him another year- purely to help us see out games next season, or play the odd game as and when required. His character and leadership would be invaluable.

He made the team worse when he played though. Why sign someone on such a wage if we aren't going to play him? 

We don't need him to close games off. He's not good enough now. Time to move on.

40 minutes ago, Shrek said:

He made the team worse when he played though. Why sign someone on such a wage if we aren't going to play him? 

I don’t agree he’s made the team worse. I think he’s played his part in our upturn in results since Christmas, and certainly more than about 56 other players we have in the squad who haven’t played at all.  Nor do they bring his character and leadership in the dressing room- which for you isn’t important, but for me has been invaluable. 

49 minutes ago, Shrek said:

We don't need him to close games off. He's not good enough now. Time to move on.

Moving forward- yes- perhaps. But I wouldn’t be upset if he signed another year for the reasons I said in my previous post. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t agree he’s made the team worse. I think he’s played his part in our upturn in results since Christmas, and certainly more than about 56 other players we have in the squad who haven’t played at all.  Nor do they bring his character and leadership in the dressing room- which for you isn’t important, but for me has been invaluable. 

Moving forward- yes- perhaps. But I wouldn’t be upset if he signed another year for the reasons I said in my previous post. 

Whether he gets a playing contract or not, I'd hope a coaching role could be found for him, provided of course it's what he wants. So much experience and motivational know-how there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Peter Clarke - nothing but respect for him.

Time waits for no man and Clarkey is only human. If, however, scores of players for Latics over the years had shown his grit, determination and professionalism, we probably wouldn't be in non-league, even in spite of shit ownership for a long time.

if we had binned Gerrard rather than Clarke (whoever decision that was) we would not have gone down from League 1 I’m sure of it 

• Like 2

Is McGahey even still under contract next season? Wasn’t he part of the fiasco with offering 2 year contracts whilst not allowed to do so? He’s been here 2 years now, so surely out of contract and won’t be renewed?

10 minutes ago, daniel said:

Is McGahey even still under contract next season? Wasn’t he part of the fiasco with offering 2 year contracts whilst not allowed to do so? He’s been here 2 years now, so surely out of contract and won’t be renewed?

good point. based on this lm coming down on the side that he will have an excellent season.

11 minutes ago, daniel said:

It’s been quoted he has another year, probably part of the fiasco (ie go back to one year with 2 year option) 

On 4/14/2023 at 8:27 PM, Monty Burns said:

hes actually alright, Gerrard .if you look at what he actually says and the place he says it from, he is usually in the right.

just the accent tho init 🤮

Unless he's taking about vaccines when he's dead wrong.