Peter Clarke

I wanted to start a new thread about the great man as we come towards the end of this season.

I’ve spoke to many fellow fans who feel he won’t be here next season and he has been a bit part player of late as he doesn’t get in ahead of Hogan. 

I still feel he has a lot to offer at this level and would like to see him under contract for next season. However, I don’t think he’d accept being a squad player and there will be plenty of takers at conference level who would take him. 

A legend of the game and certainly a legend at our club after he virtually single handedly kept us up in league one a few years back. I’d like to know his intentions for next season as if he was retiring, a guard of honour at the last game would be a great way to send him off. We often talk about players coming and going and struggling to have an affiliation with players. I’m sure we can all agree, whatever your opinion on his current capabilities that the the term legend isn’t too far off for Clarkey.

Edited by welshgaz
  • Like 7

Unfortunately his legs have gone even for this level and I think  he’ll probably drop down another level to get his 1000 games.

He’s been a great servant to every club he’s represented and a model professional on and off the pitch.

I don’t think he’ll be here, but what an asset to have around the club.

2 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Unfortunately his legs have gone even for this level and I think  he’ll probably drop down another level to get his 1000 games.

He’s been a great servant to every club he’s represented and a model professional on and off the pitch.

I don’t think he’ll be here, but what an asset to have around the club.

I think it’s a big ask for him to play left of a back 3. He struggled at Wrexham but the they all did. I’d have no worries with him centre half in a back 4 alongside a packet player. This won’t happen mind with Hogan contracted. 

l'll never forget him looking upset and acting like we lost after we beat fulham, asif it was his retirement match. like the club was secretly folding and only he knew about it.

l'd like to keep him as a squad player, but could understand him not wanting the same.

56 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He'll do alright against the donkeys that Maidenhead will have up front. But his performance at Wrexham was as bad as we've probably seen this season from a Latics player. Shake his hand and say "thanks for 2016-2019, but you've not been very good this time around..."

Age has caught up with him but as always he’s given his all…

• Like 1

I wish I’d asked the question at the Fans Forum of the likelihood of Clarkey staying on with us in some capacity next season. 

Anyway, for me, It’s a no brainer.
A player, part-player, coach, mentor and 
his influencial presence around the club is worth the offer of a 12 month contract.
Show him this job description and let him decide. 
Respect your decision either way Peter, but at least we tried. 🤞

• Like 3

I love the man but depending on his wages he may be the worst signing of Unsworth's reign so far. He was always slow but now he's weak.

100% a Darren Royle signing by the way.

We need fast mobile atheltic players in this league.

At least he'll get the social media send off many craved last time.

41 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I love the man but depending on his wages he may be the worst signing of Unsworth's reign so far. He was always slow but now he's weak.

100% a Darren Royle signing by the way.

We need fast mobile atheltic players in this league.

At least he'll get the social media send off many craved last time.

We were also probably lacking in character and leadership when he was brought in. 

His goal against Barnet was pretty much his own making. Insisting on players getting forward for the corner and for the corner to be put into the box as it looked like he fancied himself against his marker. Should be a valuable lesson to some of the other players who retreat all too easily at the end of the game. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

It was worth bringing him in for that alone, never mind his performances. It’s no coincidence in my view that results picked up after he came in. 

Could we not have signed an experienced warhorse centre half who can still perform instead?

Plenty of those knocking about.

Signing for the fans was Clarke, not the manager IMO.

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'll raise you Niall Canavan...

He’s their captain and has played for Barrow in just about every game this season…why would he be interested in a move down the leagues and more importantly why would Barrow, who paid a fee for him 12 months ago, want rid?

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s their captain and has played for Barrow in just about every game this season…why would he be interested in a move down the leagues and more importantly why would Barrow, who paid a fee for him 12 months ago, want rid?

Because Oldham are bigger than Barrow and can pay more money than Barrow...