MATCH: Southend United (H) 18/04/23

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Just seen the highlights, do we touch the ball onto Reid for his disallowed goal from Norman's goal kick?  

The linesman seemed to flag very late.

Reid gets a yellow card for saying that exact same thing but with an angrier face and maybe swearing and possibly suggesting the officials don't know the rules.

44 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Just seen the highlights, do we touch the ball onto Reid for his disallowed goal from Norman's goal kick?  

I didn't think so. If there was a touch I thought it came off a defender.

16 hours ago, diggleblue said:

I remember Alan Groves playing for Bournemouth against us. He murdered us with his skill and pace and I think 2 weeks later he signed for us. He was a fantastic player for us.

So seeing someone play well against us can work.

John Keeley might be the exception. 

19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I was at Bournemouth for that match. Like yourself sometimes players can impress so much on first sight you just know they are the real thing  🙂

Same for me when I saw Colin Garwood play for Peterborough and scored twice and joined us soon after.Apololgies for being nostalgic. And also Alan Groves when he tore through our  defence when he came here with Shrewsbury 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

True, I often wondered if  Tommy Lee and Eric Nixon were only outstanding against us.

Was that the reason we signed Kilcline do you think ? Cos he was a donkey if ever there was one.🐴

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I was level with it and thought it was onside even if one of ours had touched it on to him.  The lino took ages to flag as well. 

lno we don't have VAR and that so theres no actual reason for them to wait. do we have vibrating watches for the ref? maybe thats why. somehow. in FA 'thinking'.

thinking= sitting round a table thinking up stupid law amendments which will keep you sitting round the table, recieving lots of money for sitting round a table. talk about vicious circles.

1 hour ago, Andyt84 said:

I was level with it and thought it was onside even if one of ours had touched it on to him.  The lino took ages to flag as well. 

Main problem I have with linesman these days is they don't make a single decision, at our level  even throw ins are voiced to them from the referee, that can't be right surely?

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Main problem I have with linesman these days is they don't make a single decision, at our level  even throw ins are voiced to them from the referee, that can't be right surely?

annoying when they wait for the ref and then flag the way the ref pointed 🤬

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

lino's are told to wait these days. lve been saying for a while that somebody will get seriously injured soon whilst theyre waiting.

Couldn't agree more - this is one of my bugbears. Sooner or later there'll be a one v one, striker v goalkeeper, and one/both will be injured, when a timely offside flag could have avoided it. It's particularly stupid when there is no VAR.

I did see a PL game recently where for once the linesman not raising his flag straight away did make sense - can't remember the game/circumstances - but I'd much rather go back to flagging as soon as the linesman thinks a player is offside. Of course they'll make mistakes from time to time, but is that worse than a serious injury?

3 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Couldn't agree more - this is one of my bugbears. Sooner or later there'll be a one v one, striker v goalkeeper, and one/both will be injured, when a timely offside flag could have avoided it. It's particularly stupid when there is no VAR.

I did see a PL game recently where for once the linesman not raising his flag straight away did make sense - can't remember the game/circumstances - but I'd much rather go back to flagging as soon as the linesman thinks a player is offside. Of course they'll make mistakes from time to time, but is that worse than a serious injury?

Rashford?

these round table barry types have never actually played the game, theyve blighted the game for years.

even the laws they jizz over like the passback rule spawned players jockeying the ball 50+ meters for half a minute or more whilst committing about eight obstructions to get a goalkick. taking farrrr more time out of the game and causing an existing law to be ignored. theyve almost ruined it for everybody else to 'justify' themselves.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
On 4/20/2023 at 5:42 PM, Monty Burns said:

Rashford?

these round table barry types have never actually played the game, theyve blighted the game for years.

even the laws they jizz over like the passback rule spawned players jockeying the ball 50+ meters for half a minute or more whilst committing about eight obstructions to get a goalkick. taking farrrr more time out of the game and causing an existing law to be ignored. theyve almost ruined it for everybody else to 'justify' themselves.

I informed Barry of the changes to the offside law (although he called it a rule) 18 months after it had changed and we’d actually had the change affect us in the first game of the season before.

He isn’t as good at the paperwork as some at the club tried to make out. 

Archived