MATCH: Southend United (H) 18/04/23

It's clear that Wrexham and Notts County are anomalies. The rest of this division is much of a muchness. Genuinely surprised that with a couple more wins we'd have been going into the last two games with a chane of getting into the top 7. 

Given the money we're likely to spend, we should, undoubtedly, be up there this time next year. I'm still not pro-Unsworth but he's done enough to start next season. We should be aiming for automatic next season though. Can't see it taking 100 points.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4th in the league based on results since new year. With the squad likely to improve over the summer and Wrexham and/or Notts County to go up I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest we'll be minimum top 7 all season.

4 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Is it just me who thinks ‘in and around the playoffs’ next season isn’t enough. I don’t fancy watching Rhinoball next season if we’re bobbing around between 6th and 9th. It’s got to be a full on tilt at winning the league. 
With the right additions and poor quality of the bulk of the opposition it should be the only aim.

As everyone one says it’s a hard division to get out of, buts that mainly because only one goes up automatically. Why aim for the playoffs then?

My "in and around the play-offs" comment was more me making a point about how good the Athleticos will be with even the slightest bit of success. I agree with many on here that just finishing 7th isn't good enough. I'd like to think with some added quality in the summer we'd be looking at top 3 but I can see us finishing in the top 5.

16 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Sutton was MOM for me ... 

Really? He was hopelessly out of position or wrong side of the player on a few times. When he shanked that ball in the second half over to two surprised yellow shirts I knew then he definitely wasn't a full back. Yarney, Hogan and Reid all had better games.

Good kid, lots of promise but far from the finished article. A ready-made replacement for Hogan in 2024-25 for me, Jeff. 

8 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Lots of raving about this winger who certainly looked dangerous. But I'd hope that scouting goes into a bit more depth than seeing someone have a good game and going for them.

I thought he was dangerous and had a good match. However then I think he had Will Sutton and Hallam Hope up against him which somewhat tempered my viewpoint. There's a reason why ALL the play ended up down our right flank.

5 hours ago, nzlatic said:

4th in the league based on results since new year. With the squad likely to improve over the summer and Wrexham and/or Notts County to go up I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest we'll be minimum top 7 all season.

apparently so we are already a top 7 side. All we have to do is maintain it.

8 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Lots of raving about this winger who certainly looked dangerous. But I'd hope that scouting goes into a bit more depth than seeing someone have a good game and going for them.

I've seen him before, he's a very good player indeed, probably  Championship bound eventually, but affordable now.

You are perhaps confusing my report on Crowther of Kings Lynn who took my eye and I thought worthy of a follow up.

This player is quality and ready made.

8 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Is it just me who thinks ‘in and around the playoffs’ next season isn’t enough. I don’t fancy watching Rhinoball next season if we’re bobbing around between 6th and 9th. It’s got to be a full on tilt at winning the league. 
With the right additions and poor quality of the bulk of the opposition it should be the only aim.

As everyone one says it’s a hard division to get out of, buts that mainly because only one goes up automatically. Why aim for the playoffs then?

You are right, just a few quality players like other top teams in this division have picked up will make a massive difference.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I thought he was dangerous and had a good match. However then I think he had Will Sutton and Hallam Hope up against him which somewhat tempered my viewpoint. There's a reason why ALL the play ended up down our right flank.

He looked dangerous but had minimal end product first half, dancing about with the ball a bit too much. Was better second half when running behind but your point that he didn't really have an experienced full back against him devalues his performance a bit.

I text my mate at half time saying I’ve never seen such an undeserved goal. Although Southend didn’t test Norman that much, they cut us up through the middle with ease and pressed our back four at every opportunity. Saying that, our strikers stayed alert despite feeding on the scrappiest of scraps and Reid took his opportunity.

I don’t think any of us thought Rooney would play most of his games for us at the left of midfield, but he was poor yesterday. He seemed to spend his 45 minutes floating around in the centre circle giving the ball away and flapping his arms at team mates. 

Second half we seemed to make more of a fist of it. And although I couldn’t say we completely clicked in the change of formation, the subs looked lively and we took our second goal very well. We did deal better with the opposition midfield though, and Yarney and Hogan put in a very good display, despite someone losing their man and Southend hitting the post.

At full time I left the ground feeling really good. It was weird. The Maidenhead game was so bloody dull despite us winning and keeping a clean sheet. However last night it felt like we’d beaten a better side by improving mid game when things weren’t going our way and being clinical. Not playing well for anywhere near 90 minutes but still winning. And shiny new floodlights. And my pie was nice. 

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I remember Alan Groves playing for Bournemouth against us. He murdered us with his skill and pace and I think 2 weeks later he signed for us. He was a fantastic player for us.

So seeing someone play well against us can work.

5 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

I remember Alan Groves playing for Bournemouth against us. He murdered us with his skill and pace and I think 2 weeks later he signed for us. He was a fantastic player for us.

So seeing someone play well against us can work.

I was at Bournemouth for that match. Like yourself sometimes players can impress so much on first sight you just know they are the real thing  🙂

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I was at Bournemouth for that match. Like yourself sometimes players can impress so much on first sight you just know they are the real thing  🙂

Clearly Hull thought the same when they saw Harry Vaughan.Shame DU didn't see it.

6 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Clearly Hull thought the same when they saw Harry Vaughan.Shame DU didn't see it.

I think all who saw Harry's debut knew his technical ability and big heart would result in a move eventually to at least the EFL.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He looked dangerous but had minimal end product first half, dancing about with the ball a bit too much. Was better second half when running behind but your point that he didn't really have an experienced full back against him devalues his performance a bit.

All about opinions, but I maintain he's  way above our level and one I'd certainly bring here if possible.

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

Work with a Hull fan who does local aways. He couldn't have been more complimentary. Has is own song already apparently.

Archived