MATCH: Southend United (H) 18/04/23

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The football may be shite - but by and large they are definitely playing for him. 

in winter when l was cold, rubbing my sore neck from another Hogan long pass and my Rhino horn was wavering l decided to watch the players closely to see if he really does tell them not to tackle. what l saw was that they were all grafting like fuck so l decided the players want him there. l added that to what Frank wants and what our legendary board wants and decided l wasnt joining the Unsworth Out Mob.

l really hate the Football its fuckin dire, but like lve said elsewhere it might feel different doing it at the top. well, lm actually expecting it to change with amazing summer signings so lets see.

pretty sure he tells people not to tackle tho, rather to intercept by positioning. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

in winter when l was cold, rubbing my sore neck from another Hogan long pass and my Rhino horn was wavering l decided to watch the players closely to see if he really does tell them not to tackle. what l saw was that they were all grafting like fuck so l decided the players want him there. l added that to what Frank wants and what our legendary board wants and decided l wasnt joining the Unsworth Out Mob.

l really hate the Football its fuckin dire, but like lve said elsewhere it might feel different doing it at the top. well, lm actually expecting it to change with amazing summer signings so lets see.

pretty sure he tells people not to tackle tho, rather to intercept by positioning. 

Yeah, style will always come second to results for me. If we are top 7 next season but it’s still not great to watch. I couldn’t care less. 

The problem that Unsy will always have though, is that you have to win with Rhinoball- because when you lose. . you have no result and no entertainment so it feels twice as bad. 

Also I noticed that we have won 11 games at home. Looking back I think it was the 2006-07 season when we last won at least 11 at home. 

I know it's not always been great, but as old codger said it is still pleasing to walk out of the ground with a win, and we have done that more times this season at home than for a long time.

Currently the football remains awful and tonight we were outpassed for 3/4  of the game. However we have now become hard to beat and carry a goal threat. The managers decision to change the formation shows some understanding of why we were being overrun and it worked. We have won 3 consecutive games without conceding.

Onwards and upwards. 

26 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Good on Southend  bringing over 300.Long trip back cursing their dodgy keeper

They also made some noise, fair play to them, but I must say our fans, inspired by the Athleticos, was the loudest i have heard for a while and kept that level of raucous noise going for nearly all the match. It was great!!

20 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

They also made some noise, fair play to them, but I must say our fans, inspired by the Athleticos, was the loudest i have heard for a while and kept that level of raucous noise going for nearly all the match. It was great!!

Our fans in the  RRE are superb home and away.with the noise.Let's hope next season all our fans get better from the team and manager.

Sutton was MOM for me ... Hogan  and Yarney were immense and Kitching didnt do much wrong. All of them were outshadowed by the second half performance of the Athleticos. They were top notch this evening and if they carry that form into the last 2 matches they will sing two further victories to end the season on a high. 

15 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

Sutton was MOM for me ... Hogan  and Yarney were immense and Kitching didnt do much wrong. All of them were outshadowed by the second half performance of the Athleticos. They were top notch this evening and if they carry that form into the last 2 matches they will sing two further victories to end the season on a high. 

It's a strange one with Sutton. He didn't seem to pass to a single Latics player all night when he had time, but his tackling and positioning was very good. The classic example being in the first half when he cleverly intercepted a dangerous pass and then promptly passed the ball back to them.

47 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Our fans in the  RRE are superb home and away.with the noise.Let's hope next season all our fans get better from the team and manager.

The Athleticos are fantastic aren't they. If we're in and amongst the play-offs next season, Boundary Park will be electric. 

5 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Sutton had his hands full tonight and in general did well, got caught a couple of times but played well like all the back 4.  Yarney is brilliant, the buy of the season, I honestly think we'd be in the shit without him.  Great win, great effort, well done lads 👍👍

Is it just me who thinks ‘in and around the playoffs’ next season isn’t enough. I don’t fancy watching Rhinoball next season if we’re bobbing around between 6th and 9th. It’s got to be a full on tilt at winning the league. 
With the right additions and poor quality of the bulk of the opposition it should be the only aim.

As everyone one says it’s a hard division to get out of, buts that mainly because only one goes up automatically. Why aim for the playoffs then?

15 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Is it just me who thinks ‘in and around the playoffs’ next season isn’t enough. I don’t fancy watching Rhinoball next season if we’re bobbing around between 6th and 9th. It’s got to be a full on tilt at winning the league. 
With the right additions and poor quality of the bulk of the opposition it should be the only aim.

As everyone one says it’s a hard division to get out of, buts that mainly because only one goes up automatically. Why aim for the playoffs then?

I think with a few additions and with Unsworth's style, we'll end up in exactly that position.

The division is really poor and it shouldn't be tough to grind out results with a bit of extra quality as we've seen.

We'll be floating around 7th by default due to the lack of other good teams, and it'll lead to fans being split down the middle. Half saying it doesn't matter if we're in and around the playoffs, with the other half saying it's shite and not good enough.

6 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

I think with a few additions and with Unsworth's style, we'll end up in exactly that position.

The division is really poor and it shouldn't be tough to grind out results with a bit of extra quality as we've seen.

We'll be floating around 7th by default due to the lack of other good teams, and it'll lead to fans being split down the middle. Half saying it doesn't matter if we're in and around the playoffs, with the other half saying it's shite and not good enough.

We’ll if it pans out like that I know which camp I’ll be in.

Unsworth has definitely found a way to win games, or certainly not lose them, and if we bring in the right players and be bolder during games we should challenge right at the top. It baffles me that people will be happy with 7th place.

26 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I have mixed feelings- my heart says we are one of biggest sides in the league and it shouldn’t even be a question that we are challenging for the league title next season. 

My head says- that’s pie in the sky. Unsworth isn’t good enough to sustain that kind of form, and top 7 is the best we can hope for. (I don’t think we’ll even get that)

Plus-  I don’t want eyrsey to tell me off for being entitled. 😂

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Last time we won three consecutive games without conceding was...?

I answered this on page 1 lol.

April 2019, Pete Wild. So to be fair to Unsworth he's managed something that Banide, Maamria, Kewell, Curle, Shez couldn't.

Every chance now of making it 4 if not 5 in a row.

Archived