Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Rooney spit his dummy out and was left out.

Timmy - manager spoke supporting words for one of his players, hardly raved about him.

Willoughby hasn't set the world on fire when played and looks a little overweight to me.

Willoughby isn't overweight and keeping him on the bench won't help the cause, maybe he hasn't trained well as Rob suggests but he knows where the goal is and is a player I feel we've been crying out for, unless he was bought to start why have we even gone in for him?, he isn't a player who would make an impact from the bench. 

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Willoughby isn't overweight and keeping him on the bench won't help the cause, maybe he hasn't trained well as Rob suggests but he knows where the goal is and is a player I feel we've been crying out for, unless he was bought to start why have we even gone in for him?, he isn't a player who would make an impact from the bench. 

yep. lve not looked at his stats but l bet he started most games for Chester where he was top scorer and a cult figure.

17 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Didn’t Unsworth bring John Rooney in and then banish him.

Raved about Timmy and then bombed him out as well.

Diabolical what he is looking like doing to Willoughby but he seems to have form for it

Going to do the same with Green if not careful.

I’ve not seen enough of Willoughby to be demanding he starts, and think Unsworth’s getting some unfair stick here. All this ‘why sign him and not play him’ seems over the top to me. The season hasn’t even started yet so let’s see how it unfolds.

As we have four strikers one of them is going to be fourth choice, and as Unsworth signed three of them there’s a fair chance he’ll have ‘chased’ whoever it is. 
It looks like it’s Willoughby at the moment but let’s see what happens first before condemning him for not picking him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Going to do the same with Green if not careful.

don't you mean Sutton? Green speaks highly of The Gaffer and starts most matches for him.

altho Rhino does also speak glowingly of Sutton too, it's just that's who you said last time..

3 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I’ve not seen enough of Willoughby to be demanding he starts, and think Unsworth’s getting some unfair stick here. All this ‘why sign him and not play him’ seems over the top to me. The season hasn’t even started yet so let’s see how it unfolds.

As we have four strikers one of them is going to be fourth choice, and as Unsworth signed three of them there’s a fair chance he’ll have ‘chased’ whoever it is. 
It looks like it’s Willoughby at the moment but let’s see what happens first before condemning him for not picking him.

this is a fair standpoint to take, but its also fair criticism if DU talks about fitness and trying different things and imposing ourselves on teams. and then when we play 'warm up games' he doesnt let everybody get warm.

Seems to be confusion within some Latics fans between the current truth vs. assumptions on assumptions on assumptions.

One person's opinion, guess or rumour, and it's speculated knock on effect, can quickly become some people's version of the truth around here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Lot of absolute hysteria on Willoughby based on nothing but assumptions and the fast he’s had less game time in PSF’s. 

I’m sure he’ll be on the bench first match with Fondop. I expect he’ll get his chance.

It just looks a bit odd given the fuss they made at the time of him signing.

If there is anything in the Norwood rumours then you'd have to think him or Reid's game time will be very limited.

23 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Lot of absolute hysteria on Willoughby based on nothing but assumptions and the fast he’s had less game time in PSF’s. 

I’m sure he’ll be on the bench first match with Fondop. I expect he’ll get his chance.

Steve Whitehall scenario. Top scorer from a division below and big things expected. 

I do think he'll end up being a first choice and scoring goals though (based on nothing other than soundbites from Chester fans). I imagine he's getting to grips with the fitness levels a division higher (again based on guesswork).

Bit premature to talk of him being banished.

Edited by longtimeblue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Steve Whitehall scenario. Top scorer from a division below and big things expected. 

I do think he'll end up being a first choice and scoring goals though (based on nothing other than soundbites from Chester fans). I imagine he's getting to grips with the fitness levels a division higher (again based on guesswork).

Bit premature to talk of him being banished.

defo. but its also not too soon to note that some players have not had enough game time. 

its also perfectly plausible he is fit as a fiddle from training, but these matches were also supposed to be about integration of the new boyz.

Squadrophobics out in force.  It's a long season but condensed. We'll need everyone at some point. I'd rather have competition on the benches from players who believe they should be starting than youth teamers or perennial back up players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Didn’t Unsworth bring John Rooney in and then banish him.

Raved about Timmy and then bombed him out as well.

Diabolical what he is looking like doing to Willoughby but he seems to have form for it

I've no problem with a manager bringing a player in, not fancying him and moving quickly to remedy it rather than keep playing him in the forlorn hope he might come good.....

Get the Royle's & Rothwell's on the same track with regards to managers and we've cracked it....😁 

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

don't you mean Sutton? Green speaks highly of The Gaffer and starts most matches for him.

altho Rhino does also speak glowingly of Sutton too, it's just that's who you said last time..

Both, I meant not using them in their best positions.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It just looks a bit odd given the fuss they made at the time of him signing.

If there is anything in the Norwood rumours then you'd have to think him or Reid's game time will be very limited.

It's a long season.

They'll all get a chance at some point with injuries, poor form and Big Mike's red cards.....

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Squadrophobics out in force.  It's a long season but condensed. We'll need everyone at some point. I'd rather have competition on the benches from players who believe they should be starting than youth teamers or perennial back up players.

its only squadophobia if we don't use it!!!

he's clearly (actually l should say almost certainly) not been banished, but we are in danger of sweeping extremes of opinion.

he hasnt been banished, l want a big squad AND there have been plenty of useful minutes needlessly denied. first time he comes there will literally be players he has never passed to or recieved a pass from. that is unacceptable when he has been available for six games. there'll be sumat stupid like he makes too many runs behind bc the man in pissession likes to find feet rather than thread a thru ball. you work shit like that out against mansfield in a friendly. not at 1-1 with 5mins left in a league match.

42 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

If we do get another forward in, be it Norwood or someone else, I wonder if that's on Joe Royle's say so moreso than Unsworth's....

He liked to collect strikers and it usually served him well, us included.... 

this big Joe love in needs to stop. It was a different era, he failed when he briefly took over (bigged up Ryan Brooke if I remember rightly).

leave it in the past, he’s an antique now

11 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

this big Joe love in needs to stop. It was a different era, he failed when he briefly took over (bigged up Ryan Brooke if I remember rightly).

leave it in the past, he’s an antique now

He's a much loved and very valuable antique!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Why would you put our stand out striker from pre season on the bench first game?, Fondop has been a consistent danger and looks fitter and more focused than ever, my only disappointment in that is that we've yet to see Fondop paired with Willoughby, I think these two would compliment each other and in at least half a dozen pre season games we've hardly seen them on the pitch together.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Why would you put our stand out striker from pre season on the bench first game?, Fondop has been a consistent danger and looks fitter and more focused than ever, my only disappointment in that is that we've yet to see Fondop paired with Willoughby, I think these two would compliment each other and in at least half a dozen pre season games we've hardly seen them on the pitch together.

If Fondop and Willoughby are our starting strikers I don’t think we are even getting playoffs. Just my opinion and it will be Nuttall and Fondop that starts on Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If Fondop and Willoughby are our starting strikers I don’t think we are even getting playoffs. Just my opinion and it will be Nuttall and Fondop that starts on Saturday. 

lm expecting 60 goals between Nuttall, Fondop, Reid and Willoughby 😳

We have been grinding out decent results since January but for some reason I still have this feeling of dread when we play, the nagging doubt that we are good enough or will become good enough to rise out of this league. Don’t know if it’s the “method”  style we play, the late goals we concede or a combination that has me constantly thinking after a win “were we lucky, we’re the opposition just so bad”.

• Like 1