Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

Sounds like Conlon is best used further forward more as a 10 after listening to the Vale fan on the Phone in.

Assuming we will stick with a midfield 3, sounds more like a Sheron replacement and McGahey to stay in the holding role. In which case, we need another CDM to play that role. 

Unless Mellon wants to use him in the holding role, which might help his injuries ? 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Sounds like Conlon is best used further forward more as a 10 after listening to the Vale fan on the Phone in.

Assuming we will stick with a midfield 3, sounds more like a Sheron replacement and McGahey to stay in the holding role. In which case, we need another CDM to play that role. 

Unless Mellon wants to use him in the holding role, which might help his injuries ? 

Until such times we have a decent midfield, I'd rather have Sheron in the holding role and drop McGahey. OK, so we lose the one tackle a game from McGahey for a bit more mobility from Sheron. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Lags said:

Until such times we have a decent midfield, I'd rather have Sheron in the holding role and drop McGahey. OK, so we lose the one tackle a game from McGahey for a bit more mobility from Sheron. 

agreed.

Sheron cannot play as the holding player because he struggles to pass a football, he's fine further up the pitch pressing the opposition but it kills us when we have to play through him.

Lundstrum should hold for me as he isn't really contributing in an attacking sense and he can look after the football a bit better.

McGahey just doesn't convince me, I know he's doing a job to a degree but I can't see him being a MM type player.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sheron cannot play as the holding player because he struggles to pass a football, he's fine further up the pitch pressing the opposition but it kills us when we have to play through him.

Lundstrum should hold for me as he isn't really contributing in an attacking sense and he can look after the football a bit better.

McGahey just doesn't convince me, I know he's doing a job to a degree but I can't see him being a MM type player.

Agree that Sheron is better utilised 10 yards further forward, which is why I think Conlon will replace him, especially in the long term. 

I don’t think MM trusts Sheron as the CDM which is why we are seeing McGahey play that position for now.

I think Lundstrum is more of a traditional 8 and should continue playing that role. If we could get a holding midfield player in, assuming it’s not what Conlon has been signed for, the midfield could look a lot better. 

Sheron and Ward on the bench providing cover, and get rid of Gardner and Shelton. 

• Like 1

Having paid to watch Saturday's game on NLTV I found I had access to other NL games including a level down so was keeping an eye on Bishop's Stortford v Blyth Spartans which kicked off at 1pm.  Didn't realise at the time that I was watching a Latics player as the somewhat mysteriously signed keeper, Dan Langley, is on loan at Blyth.  Can't say I recall anything god or bad in particular!

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Didn't realise at the time that I was watching a Latics player as the somewhat mysteriously signed keeper, Dan Langley, is on loan at Blyth.  Can't say I recall anything god or bad in particular!

His signing has been very strange. 

Signed a short term deal and immediately loaned out. I can only think there was plans to get rid of Norman and he was cover,  but it didn’t materialise. 

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Signed a short term deal and immediately loaned out. I can only think there was plans to get rid of Norman and he was cover,  but it didn’t materialise. 

Wasn't Norman injured in training the week of Langley's signing ?

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

or maybe we were just one keeper short of being a normal Football Club?

lno we may have thought two was normal, but it isn't. 

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Thought the injury to Norman was earlier than that 

It was a second injury. First was early in the season which led to Hudson getting his chance. Then later in the season Langley was on the bench for the games against Newport and Eastleigh.

I wondered if Steve Collis, or whoever scouts keepers for us, had seen something in Langley as per Hudson, and Norman as well to a certain extent.

Edited by Hemel latic

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

It was a second injury. First was early in the season which led to Hudson getting his chance. Then later in the season Langley was on the bench for the games against Newport and Eastleigh.

I wondered if Steve Collis, or whoever scouts keepers for us, had seen something in Langley as per Hudson, and Norman as well to a certain extent.

Yep they said he'd been here in the summer training.

On the keepers, the youth keeper that has been around the first team squad as the 3rd choice before Langley came in looked to be extremely small for a keeper. 

Maybe we don’t have a decent youth keeper coming through so we got a young keeper from another club to develop instead ? 

45 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Not a bad judge given Hudson's progress from his pre-Latics career

28 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

On the keepers, the youth keeper that has been around the first team squad as the 3rd choice before Langley came in looked to be extremely small for a keeper. 

Maybe we don’t have a decent youth keeper coming through so we got a young keeper from another club to develop instead ? 

Who was the last youth keeper to come through?  Coleman I guess?  Before that Gerrard?  It's hardly a conveyor belt!

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

or maybe, as the manager has said and l have repeated above on his behalf, Football Clubs have three goalkeepers but you have been gaslit into accepting that two is normal by a previous silver tongued coin grabber.

?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Who was the last youth keeper to come through?  Coleman I guess?  Before that Gerrard?  It's hardly a conveyor belt!

Mackenzie Chapman currently warming the bench for Blackpool