25 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

the wolves are already circling. l thought they would at least wait for the actual Football to start, but it seems they are sucker punching their cyber low blows already.

The football under Unsworth started well before this pre-season!

It's nothing personal against him. Why would it be?

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

You're right, but man it's shite to watch..

I think Frank should be demanding something more convincing from the investment he's put in...

He probably just wants wins for his investment. Maybe he should interfere in selection or go in the changies and speak to the players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He probably just wants wins for his investment. Maybe he should interfere in selection or go in the changies and speak to the players.

And being in some #frenchlads...

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

If Nuttall plays 30 games he gets double figures.

The same will also apply to Fondop and Reid, I presume Willoughby would also get there, but not having seen him play I am not as certain.

If he takes the penalties I'm sure he may come close to double figures in 30 games. You have more faith in him than me. I really haven't seen anything to suggest he is a prolific goalscorer. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Steve_R said:

it’s pre season. It’s about getting the players sharp for the season ahead. We can only comment on what we see though.

My view having seen both games is that we look solid, organised at the back, the Altrincham lad looks decent in the middle, but we look lightweight upfront. Despite plenty on here pulling their pipe over Nuttall I’ve still yet to see it, but I’m not writing him off yet.

in short, nothing to get either exited or worried about, which is what I expected really 

😮Are you telling me the league campaign hasn't started yet and these were a couple of meaningless friendlies?

Less of that common sense posting, please.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

the wolves are already circling. l thought they would at least wait for the actual Football to start, but it seems they are sucker punching their cyber low blows already.

The Gaffer has already said he is pushing them really hard so that they will purposely be leggy so that they can build resiliance. some have chosen to ignore this.

It's incredible isn't it. A couple of training sessions against other teams and some people think the roof has already fallen in. 

If pre-season friendlies don't enthuse, there's a simple solution - don't watch them.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Has anyone said that. If they have I must have missed it. 

tbf it was last season, but its the same people who stopped 'supporting' us when results improved. now theyve popped back up again because training isnt up to their standards.

37 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Has anybody any idea as to why Nuttall was sent off yesterday?

It seems a little ridiculous to be sent off in a ‘friendly’

It was brewing with their number 15, things were being said with a bit of shoving off the ball. Then Nuttall purposely barged into him again infront of the ref.  

13 hours ago, JoeP said:

The football under Unsworth started well before this pre-season!

It's nothing personal against him. Why would it be?

It's clearly an agenda people are completely ignoring the clear and obviously progress that was made in the league between Jan and April,  and are now getting amped up about a couple of pre season games where all we are doing is building up fitness and trying things out.

We had Will Sutton in midfield last week and Hobson at right back yesterday, why? Because that is what pre season is for, to experiment, to try people in different positions, and different formations. Otherwise what is the point of pre season.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's clearly an agenda people are completely ignoring the clear and obviously progress that was made in the league between Jan and April,  and are now getting amped up about a couple of pre season games where all we are doing is building up fitness and trying things out.

We had Will Sutton in midfield last week and Hobson at right back yesterday, why? Because that is what pre season is for, to experiment, to try people in different positions, and different formations. Otherwise what is the point of pre season.

I didn't see much experimenting with formation.  It seemed standard Rhinoball - let the opposition come at us, hope they're not any good at finishing and then assume someone up front pulls something out of the bag for us if the ball comes their way.

I get that it's just a friendly, but as I say there will have to be a drastic change once the season starts if we're not just repeating the approach to games we had last year.  If it gets the results for the entire season like we got from January to April then fine, I guess.  It won't be a very enjoyable watch until the business end of the season, mind.  We've signed some exciting players, but I don't think we're going to use them in a way that they can actually be exciting. 

• Like 2

He’s definitely insistent on playing a grinding, defensive game, which is fine if we come away with the points when we do it. A few games towards the end of the season back fired though and we conceded late on. There’s a lot more practice needed if he want to be successful with this method of playing .  It’s certainly hard to watch but if it eventually gets us out of where we are then so be it. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I didn't see much experimenting with formation.  It seemed standard Rhinoball - let the opposition come at us, hope they're not any good at finishing and then assume someone up front pulls something out of the bag for us if the ball comes their way.

I get that it's just a friendly, but as I say there will have to be a drastic change once the season starts if we're not just repeating the approach to games we had last year.  If it gets the results for the entire season like we got from January to April then fine, I guess.  It won't be a very enjoyable watch until the business end of the season, mind.  We've signed some exciting players, but I don't think we're going to use them in a way that they can actually be exciting. 

It's the national league it's a standard that is lower what we are used to. The most popular teamtalk in the away dressing room will be get men behind the ball and quieten the crowd. So at times it will be ugly and we might have to win ugly. I doubt many teams will come to Boundary Park and try and be open and expansive they know by doing so they will get beat. 

That's going to pose its own problems. We are going to have to be prepared to take the initiative with possession of the ball something that we will need to improve on on last season. I agree with you on that after that illusive right back I wouldn't be against us signing a code breaker of a wide man/ attacking midfielder who can just provide that moment of quality to unlock a defense John Rooney for some of his faults was someone who could provide that. It's looking like we are going to have to replace that.

We are well over a month from the start of the season we are still forming the side which, while we've had a comparative amount of stability, it has had 5 new players starting yesterday and we still haven't fully finished our business. It might take us to a couple of games into the season where the team really begins to come together, we might not hit top gear until the second half of the season who knows. But when I look at where we have come from both on and off the pitch in the last 12 months or so and look at the trajectory we are on then I don't see how we won't be there or thereabouts come May. It won't always be pretty but if/when those games happen we find ways to win then I think we will all take it.

Edited by GlossopLatic

32 minutes ago, True Tic said:

He’s definitely insistent on playing a grinding, defensive game, which is fine if we come away with the points when we do it. A few games towards the end of the season back fired though and we conceded late on. There’s a lot more practice needed if he want to be successful with this method of playing .  It’s certainly hard to watch but if it eventually gets us out of where we are then so be it. 

It's unlikely to though is it, as for a defensive game our back line yesterday was as unorganised and disjointed as I can remember, my only hope is that he picked an eleven and sent them out to do whatever they wanted yesterday because there wasn't a plan. 

We didn't even grind nothing out yesterday for over an hour we actually didn't look like scoring and Southport had the majority of the play and chances, only when Nuttall went and they took their half dozen best players off did we look like scoring, huge worry for me as tactically we still look inept and seem to be bringing in players we don't need other than Lundstrum who looks EFL quality the couple of times I've seen him now.

Another problem I have now is that Nuttall looks undroppable in Unsworths eyes, what's he done to deserve this special treatment, as a player he really does think he's better than he is, his behaviour yesterday is evidence of that and yet again he was bullied by a physical centre half for the majority of the game who had him in his pocket, he does look fitter and sharper but to say we pushed the boat out for him in both the fee and wages is a worry, he's in danger of becoming an expensive flop and needs to concentrate on what he's being paid to do.

This pre season has all the hallmarks of last so far, let's hope they can turn it around and we can actually see some football as it's been painful viewing so far, get the midfield on the ball, dominate possession and take it to teams, surely that must be the plan if we are planning for promotion?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's the national league it's a standard that is lower what we are used to. The most popular teamtalk in the away dressing room will be get men behind the ball and quieten the crowd. So at times it will be ugly and we might have to win ugly. I doubt many teams will come to Boundary Park and try and be open and expansive they know by doing so they will get beat. 

That's going to pose its own problems. We are going to have to be prepared to take the initiative with possession of the ball something that we will need to improve on on last season. I agree with you on that after that illusive right back I wouldn't be against us signing a code breaker of a wide man/ attacking midfielder who can just provide that moment of quality to unlock a defense John Rooney for some of his faults was someone who could provide that. It's looking like we are going to have to replace that.

We are well over a month from the start of the season we are still forming the side which, while we've had a comparative amount of stability, it has had 5 new players starting yesterday and we still haven't fully finished our business. It might take us to a couple of games into the season where the team really begins to come together, we might not hit top gear until the second half of the season who knows. But when I look at where we have come from both on and off the pitch in the last 12 months or so and look at the trajectory we are on then I don't see how we won't be there or thereabouts come May. It won't always be pretty but if/when those games happen we find ways to win then I think we will all take it.

Not to be picky but it is less than three weeks until the start of the season...

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's unlikely to though is it, as for a defensive game our back line yesterday was as unorganised and disjointed as I can remember, my only hope is that he picked an eleven and sent them out to do whatever they wanted yesterday because there wasn't a plan. 

We didn't even grind nothing out yesterday for over an hour we actually didn't look like scoring and Southport had the majority of the play and chances, only when Nuttall went and they took their half dozen best players off did we look like scoring, huge worry for me as tactically we still look inept and seem to be bringing in players we don't need other than Lundstrum who looks EFL quality the couple of times I've seen him now.

Another problem I have now is that Nuttall looks undroppable in Unsworths eyes, what's he done to deserve this special treatment, as a player he really does think he's better than he is, his behaviour yesterday is evidence of that and yet again he was bullied by a physical centre half for the majority of the game who had him in his pocket, he does look fitter and sharper but to say we pushed the boat out for him in both the fee and wages is a worry, he's in danger of becoming an expensive flop and needs to concentrate on what he's being paid to do.

This pre season has all the hallmarks of last so far, let's hope they can turn it around and we can actually see some football as it's been painful viewing so far, get the midfield on the ball, dominate possession and take it to teams, surely that must be the plan if we are planning for promotion?

Not hard to imagine Reid and even Fondop getting pissed off pretty quickly playing second fiddle to him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I’ve not seen us yet but would like to think the players we’ve brought in will do a job for us IF played to their strengths. I still can’t figure out what the manager is trying to do sometimes but he’s the manager at the end of the day. We’ve got a very good squad in theory now, maybe another midfielder and obvs fullback but other than that we must be challenging up there this season, no excuses . 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But this is my issue with Unsworth - I don't think it's about signings, it's about his tactics.  It is a lower standard than we're used to, but we're supposedly going to be one of the big hitters next season, but I just don't think Unsworth knows how to set-up a team to take the initiative.  The whole way he sets up isn't going to change if he makes that one "code-breaker" signing.

We generally set-up for home games in the National League in the way I'd expect us to set-up in an away fixture at The Etihad.  With the players we've got, I don't think we should be afraid to have a go at any team from the off, but (unless something drastic changes in Unsworth's thinking between now and the start of the season) that's exactly how Unsworth will set us up.  If it gets results - fine (not great, but fine) but the second the results start to drop, he needs to go for me because it's not good enough.  From game one.

FWIW, I think Green is the most exciting player we have and Nutall should be last choice from our striking options.

• Like 1