29 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We could smash this league from the start with a bit of luck however If we start slowly which I suspect we will, it’s going to be toxic on here and in the ground.

There are 5 or 6 new players to integrate so it It may well take a month or two to settle.

If we don't get off to a decent start I think I'll stay off here for a while!  As, in contrast to just about every other season in memory, we got the bulk of our business done early I'd hope that the pre-season training and friendlies greatly reduces the need to wait a while to gel.

• Like 1

In addition to my last post, I don't see why there is anger on repeat about the playing style from a number of posters. It's been relatively constant since Unsworth joined. If the club and Unsworth were promising attractive attacking football but not delivering then fine. But they aren't. He's been pretty clear about it. The only type of football they want is winning football, so judge him on that.

Win, lose or draw we'll probably see it all this season too. It's repetitive and tedious.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

In addition to my last post, I don't see why there is anger on repeat about the playing style from a number of posters. It's been relatively constant since Unsworth joined. If the club and Unsworth were promising attractive attacking football but not delivering then fine. But they aren't. He's been pretty clear about it. The only type of football they want is winning football, so judge him on that.

Win, lose or draw we'll probably see it all this season too. It's repetitive and tedious.

Yep, agreed. 

I do wish people would stop hoping/thinking he will evolve. 

He won’t.

He’s playing the football he was known for at Everton, and is just continuing it here. The term Rhinoball has become glib but it’s a definite style he wants to play. Which is fine as long as we win.

We’ll do better this year, not because his style has evolved but because quite simply we’ve got fitter, faster and generally better players. 

I will keep saying this as well; hard to beat, must not lose first -  is fine as long as you win! But without the result some need to understand why fans get frustrated, because there is absolutely no denying we’re not great to watch without the result. 

54 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Anger? Some of us want to see attractive football, Unsworth isn't going to deliver that, therefore it has to be tedious stuff with results, I don't think he is good enough to do this either. It's only my opinion, I hope I'm wrong. 

FFS. It took Wrexham 14 years and a billionaire to get out of this league, Notts County 4 years and a joblot of cash and it's Chesterfields 5th season I think this year who are also splashing the cash.

All this bollocks about we should be getting promoted in style and flexing our muscles is irrelevant! 

We just need to win 30 games or so in any way we can and we should go up...end of. Being solid, organised and compact first is the way to go as we have enough up top to score plenty of goals. 

I'd take the 1-0 to the Arsenal approach any day of the week if we win 30 games 1-0 and go up.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

FFS. It took Wrexham 14 years and a billionaire to get out of this league, Notts County 4 years and a joblot of cash and it's Chesterfields 5th season I think this year who are also splashing the cash.

All this bollocks about we should be getting promoted in style and flexing our muscles is irrelevant! 

We just need to win 30 games or so in any way we can and we should go up...end of. Being solid, organised and compact first is the way to go as we have enough up top to score plenty of goals. 

I'd take the 1-0 to the Arsenal approach any day of the week if we win 30 games 1-0 and go up.

And it seems like many have forgotten we won 4 and drew 2 of our last six games last season, and have in my view an already more balanced and higher quality squad, so can some people cheer the fuck up!!🙂🌞

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

It took Luton a fair few goes too til they cracked it. Didn’t seem to hold them back much. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Pep Guardiola's fault. He might have "changed football" at the highest level, but people (not just our fans) watch his team on sky play all the tippy tappy bollocks and expect lower league plodders to be able to do it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Just seen the highlights from Saturday and am struggling to see why Nuttall would get a yellow, never mind a straight red.

Unless he swore at the Ref or farted out of turn it seems an official playing "Billy Big Bollocks".

He literally hits him in the face 10ft from the referee and whilst clearly being watched by the lino too.

image.png

This should start almost exactly as he does it :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Pep Guardiola's fault. He might have "changed football" at the highest level, but people (not just our fans) watch his team on sky play all the tippy tappy bollocks and expect lower league plodders to be able to do it.

Plenty of lower league teams playing football that is easy on the eye.

8 minutes ago, Ackey said:

He literally hits him in the face 10ft from the referee and whilst clearly being watched by the lino too.

image.png

This should start almost exactly as he does it :)

Sorry, missed that was just looking at the "handbags" bit earlier.

Not much gets past you Ackey !!!  👍  😳 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

It also only took Grimsby one season after a summer change of ownership...🤷‍♂️

Our owners have been fantastic and have given Unsworth a competitive budget.

If he's not going to entertain, then he has to win and the pressure should rightly be on from the off.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

The lad who elbowed willoughby should have gone too.

There were a few nasty challenges from Southport players just in those brief highlights. Stupid from Nuttall but the guy tried kicking him which then carried on and he went back at him 2 or 3 times. Should have hit him harder!

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If he's not going to entertain, then he has to win and the pressure should rightly be on from the off.

I think the point about it taking some teams a few seasons is not that that is the only way, more that if it does take that long then it's not the end of the world. Obviously not preferrable, we'd rather go up this season, but the way some talk is as if it's all or nothing.

Regarding pressure from the off, I'm certain it will be with a chunk of the fan base. But again, this new board do not seem to be reactionary bedwetters. As long as we're in the hunt he'll be given time to achieve. Doesn't mean they won't get rid though if he's not achieving in their eyes of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

14 years, 4 years, 5 years - how many years of those 5, 4 or 14 was the running of those clubs stable/stablish giving them the ability to recruit a bit/quite a bit better than the rest?

That's the key and that's what we're told we've got. 

We should be at the end of our "it took Oldham x years to get out of this league" as opposed to in the mires Wrexham, Notts & Chesterfield were once in during/before the timescales you've used. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Agreed he seems to have been given the budget to improve the squad which I think its safe to say he appears to have done so....on paper anyway!

So are you now saying you'd be happy if we play "unentertaining" football but win most weeks?

24 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Agreed he seems to have been given the budget to improve the squad which I think its safe to say he appears to have done so....on paper anyway!

So are you now saying you'd be happy if we play "unentertaining" football but win most weeks?

I think I'd struggle to get enthusiastic about it until it did actually look like we were going up but would accept it is what it is...

I wouldn't feel guilty about missing the odd home game. I want to, though. I want to feel like I'd be missing out. 

Oh and I'd fucking moan about it on here..

Edited by JoeP

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It took Luton a fair few goes too til they cracked it. Didn’t seem to hold them back much. 

It took them 4 goes including 2 play off final defeats 1 of which was on penalties no doubt both will have been gut wrenching. They pretty much were stable throughout I think they had their turnaround season in season 1. After that it was promotion challenges until they got out.

From now on I expect for every season we are in this division for us to be challenging for promotion we've built the foundations now assuming Frank won't start turning into Simon Corney in the next 2 years We should be 1 of the favourites to go up aslo g as we are in the national league.

Edited by GlossopLatic

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

14 years, 4 years, 5 years - how many years of those 5, 4 or 14 was the running of those clubs stable/stablish giving them the ability to recruit a bit/quite a bit better than the rest?

That's the key and that's what we're told we've got. 

We should be at the end of our "it took Oldham x years to get out of this league" as opposed to in the mires Wrexham, Notts & Chesterfield were once in during/before the timescales you've used. 

Notts lost in the playoffs 3 years in row before their last minute winner in this year's final, and Chesterfield have also lost in the playoffs in last 3 years. Both were backed with decent budgets over those periods but didn't go up. 

I'm just saying it's bloody hard and we have no right to assume just because we are Oldham, and have spent a few quid we will walk the league playing entertaining football....we won't! Wrexham Notts and Chesterfield were mile's better than us last season even though we got a couple of flukey results against them so we have a fair way to go in my humble opinion.

I'd settle for a scrambled 6th place finish...playing solid football...and an extra time winner in the playoff final....just like Grimsby did🙂

• Like 1