Unsworth Out

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It isn't about one game in isolation. You have to earn the right to have high expectations, there has to be some acknowledgement of where you are starting from.

Thats right, luckily we are talking about 50 games… because that is where he started from.

The most recent eight of his 50 games have given us one win, and the performances in those games are no better (arguably worse) than last year. 

What is your limit? 

My 7 year old football mad grandson came on Saturday for the game.

After 15 minutes he spent most of the game in the box on his dads phone or watching the TV.

when I asked him after the game why.

He replies 

ITS BORING. 

how the hell can we attract new young supporters with the shit that his being served up week in week out.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

From one Rob to another we do support out team  and want the best for the club.That includes  making comments on here about things which plainly are not working .Sometimes my comments have been over the top and will now stop but that is how I feel after seeing over the past 12 months no improvement in our football despite having cherry picked some good players.We all want success for our club and to make it a joy to watch and be entertained but the time has come for many of us to say enough is enough and if he loves the club as we do he should walk out now. 

Better days will come. They probably won't be with this manager. They might not do with the next manager either. But the owners deserve more patience and support than what we seeing at the moment IMO.

3 minutes ago, JohnG123 said:

My 7 year old football mad grandson came on Saturday for the game.

After 15 minutes he spent most of the game in the box on his dads phone or watching the TV.

when I asked him after the game why.

He replies 

ITS BORING. 

how the hell can we attract new young supporters with the shit that his being served up week in week out.. 

How many of those attending regularly started coming when the football was great and we were winning? Not many I'd imagine. We've been good for about 5 years in the last 40 odd.

Most will come, as my kids do, because their parents have suffered and love the club and have raised their kids right so they know supporting either Manchester team or Liverpool is a big no no and they'd be a prick if they went and chose them over Oldham.

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Thats right, luckily we are talking about 50 games… because that is where he started from.

The most recent eight of his 50 games have given us one win, and the performances in those games are no better (arguably worse) than last year. 

What is your limit? 

Forget last season, we were starting from ground zero, any rookie manager deserves to go through a bad spell and come through the other side, which he did however uneasy on the eye it was.

Nobody can be happy with the start we've made, with some of the hysteria you'd think we'd lost six/seven out of the eight.

Not sure on my limit, if there was an obvious candidate who could come and immediately improve things then I'm all ears.

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

How many of those attending regularly started coming when the football was great and we were winning? Not many I'd imagine. We've been good for about 5 years in the last 40 odd.

Most will come, as my kids do, because their parents have suffered and love the club and have raised their kids right so they know supporting either Manchester team or Liverpool is a big no no and they'd be a prick if they went and chose them over Oldham.

I agree I started coming with my grandad aged 5 in the boom season 1967 after England had won the World Cup. I can honestly say in all those years since I cannot remember a more negatively set up team by any manager. Someone needs to reiterate we go to be entertained. I consider my self to be fortunate I have witnessed a few promotions  a cup final some great cup runs and relegations. Maybe my memory is not so good but I don’t recall a more boring set up than this team and I put that firmly down to Unsworth and his tactics. I would love to be a mind reader be interesting to read Joe Royles mind at 5 Pm after watching that last Saturday …… 

Just now, deyres42 said:

Forget last season, we were starting from ground zero, any rookie manager deserves to go through a bad spell and come through the other side, which he did however uneasy on the eye it was.

Nobody can be happy with the start we've made, with some of the hysteria you'd think we'd lost six/seven out of the eight.

Not sure on my limit, if there was an obvious candidate who could come and immediately improve things then I'm all ears.

You must have a limit… you just don’t want to admit it. Fair enough, not all of us have the strength of our conviction or like to put ourselves out there.

Only a fool (in sport) would stick with what they have, simply because they don’t know what they could get. This club would undoubtedly be attractive to many managers now. 

3 minutes ago, JohnG123 said:

I agree I started coming with my grandad aged 5 in the boom season 1967 after England had won the World Cup. I can honestly say in all those years since I cannot remember a more negatively set up team by any manager. Someone needs to reiterate we go to be entertained. I consider my self to be fortunate I have witnessed a few promotions  a cup final some great cup runs and relegations. Maybe my memory is not so good but I don’t recall a more boring set up than this team and I put that firmly down to Unsworth and his tactics. I would love to be a mind reader be interesting to read Joe Royles mind at 5 Pm after watching that last Saturday …… 

2016/17 we scored 31 league goals. Although the second half of the season was actually quite fun...

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

You must have a limit… you just don’t want to admit it. Fair enough, not all of us have the strength of our conviction or like to put ourselves out there.

Only a fool (in sport) would stick with what they have, simply because they don’t know what they could get. This club would undoubtedly be attractive to many managers now. 

I wouldn't shed any tears if he left tonight and he probably couldn't have any complaints.

The next manager will need to be a very strong character to be able to deal with the expectations, however realistic or unrealistic they may be. I'm not sure managing Altrincham or Gateshead equips you for that.

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I wouldn't shed any tears if he left tonight and he probably couldn't have any complaints.

The next manager will need to be a very strong character to be able to deal with the expectations, however realistic or unrealistic they may be. I'm not sure managing Altrincham or Gateshead equips you for that.

We’ll managing Everton’s kids hasn’t equipped him

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Genuinely. 

How low would we have to drop for you to not think it was entitled for us to expect to do well?

We are without question one of the two biggest clubs in this division, and we have a budget to reflect that. What is wrong with us expecting/demanding to be much higher up. It’s common sense that any fanbase in that circumstance would expect to compete. You talk as if we’re Dorking and we keep expecting to get promoted. . . 

It doesn’t need a big character. (Unsy is a big character with a massive ego) It needs an astute tactician, who has some emotional intelligence to man manage and get the best out of players. Marc White is successful because he’s relatable, he build’s rapport/trust very easily and talks common sense.

People buy off people. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Genuinely. 

How low would we have to drop for you to not think it was entitled for us to expect to do well?

We are without question one of the two biggest clubs in this division, and we have a budget to reflect that. What is wrong with us expecting/demanding to be much higher up. It’s common sense that any fanbase in that circumstance would expect to compete. You talk as if we’re Dorking and we keep expecting to get promoted. . . 

It doesn’t need a big character. (Unsy is a big character with a massive ego) It needs an astute tactician, who has some emotional intelligence to man manage and get the best out of players. Marc White is successful because he’s relatable, he build’s rapport/trust very easily and talks common sense.

People buy off people. 

As I said earlier, you have to earn the right to have high expectations. How do you earn it? Results. We haven't had a sustained period of good ones for many years.

Having a bigger budget than your rivals helps but you still have to spend it right.

Unsworth isn't a big character, he has shown weakness with things like I listen to my audience, two up front etc.

Any manager coming in now has to deal with a fanbase that expects to win virtually every game, that isn't for the lighthearted.

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I thought it just needed 442

For Unsworth to do anything - it does.
Because as you’re aware, and once again the results are backing me up- whenever he plays a formation with a 3 or 5 in it- we never win. Why? Because he isn’t good enough to coach it and/or implement it. 

I would hope a new manager has the tactical acumen to know how to play something other than a basic 442. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

As I said earlier, you have to earn the right to have high expectations. How do you earn it? Results. We haven't had a sustained period of good ones for many years.

Having a bigger budget than your rivals helps but you still have to spend it right.

Unsworth isn't a big character, he has shown weakness with things like I listen to my audience, two up front etc.

Any manager coming in now has to deal with a fanbase that expects to win virtually every game, that isn't for the lighthearted.

So. . . by your reckoning we can only expect 7 if we’re top 7. (Consistent results) 

Why does any manager ever get sacked then. . ??? Because by your logic there shouldn’t be any expectations until you win. 

You mention the budget helps- of course it does. . It also brings expectation, otherwise why spend the money? 😂

You say we expect to win every game? Why is that? Is it because we’re one of the biggest clubs in the division, it’s the lowest we’ve ever been in our history, and there has to be a point from which you can expect to compete? 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

So. . . by your reckoning we can only expect 7 if we’re top 7. (Consistent results) 

Why does any manager ever get sacked then. . ??? Because by your logic there shouldn’t be any expectations until you win. 

You mention the budget helps- of course it does. . It also brings expectation, otherwise why spend the money? 😂

You say we expect to win every game? Why is that? Is it because we’re one of the biggest clubs in the division, it’s the lowest we’ve ever been in our history, and there has to be a point from which you can expect to compete? 

Bit more nuanced than that. Difference between hope and expectation.

You would hope we would finish at the top end of the table but there's nothing in our recent history that says we should expect to do, once you go a long run of winning more than you lose you can start to have expectations of that continuing, at the moment the expectation is being driven by....you guessed it, entitlement. 😉😉

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit more nuanced than that. Difference between hope and expectation.

You would hope we would finish at the top end of the table but there's nothing in our recent history that says we should expect to do, once you go a long run of winning more than you lose you can start to have expectations of that continuing, at the moment the expectation is being driven by....you guessed it, entitlement. 😉😉

word salad of nonsense. 

• Like 4