The Next Oldham Manager

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Why, because he’s still in a job?

It could literally be anybody still in employment couldn’t it?

I like the story... as far fetched as it may sound.

Can't announce it until next week as we play them at weekend.

Thomo and Redders had to leave before Saturday as it wouldn't be right if they won being in charge then we got rid of them only to appoint the losing Manager.

If they lose and we won and appointed him then who cares?

All sounds feasible and would be a very well kept secret, but worth a fiver (I have given in to Victor!) 8/1.

Watch the odds drop now! I'm just another mug....😃

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

All seems a bit of a mess this. Why tell ST he hasn't got the job until you've got the new man in? We now look like going into an FA Cup tie with an interim for the interim in charge. There's been a split with regards to who the manager should be, it will be 4 weeks on Saturday since Unsworth was sacked. They need to get a grip of the situation and get the new man in asap now. Imo they dithered getting rid of Unsworth and are now compounding the error. Can you be confident they will really get the man the board wants now and if not will he get the support, backing and time Unsworth was afforded? We are in danger of setting up the next man to fail.

How the hell do you know they told him he hadn’t got the job?

There could be any number of reasons for him leaving!!

The new man may be en route to BP, having verbally agreed, just waiting to formally sign. Could be waiting to be introduced to players/staff before announcement. A myriad of perfectly sensible reasons.

Why can't we just be patient instead of all this speculation, some of which has now descended into s**t stirring from the usual suspects.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

The new man may be en route to BP, having verbally agreed, just waiting to formally sign. Could be waiting to be introduced to players/staff before announcement. A myriad of perfectly sensible reasons.

Why can't we just be patient instead of all this speculation, some of which has now descended into s**t stirring from the usual suspects.

Are you speculating there 😉 

Just now, Boyyou said:

I fully understand what you are saying but good grief I can’t blame them if they’re  running a bit low on patience , I don’t just mean this current situation. This last 12 months we’ve been told to be patient  over and over again for different things, DU will come good, we’ll get on a run, watch us climb the table, players still bedding in, it’s the injury situation, he’s inherited somebody else’s players , it’s this , it’s that. It’s now nearly a month since they finally got shut of DU. They need to announce the new man ASAP. Get it done. Sorry I’m running out of patience just thinking about it 😂

My money is on ST going to the board and asking did he have the job knowing he's identified the players he wants in. Or at least knowing he'd need these extra players in to advance the form. 

One of the scenarios muted on here must be right.....or must it?

Sooner rather than later all will be revealed. It's never dull being a Tic.

13 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

It better not be Ten Hag. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

How the hell do you know they told him he hadn’t got the job?

There could be any number of reasons for him leaving!!

I think there's a pretty good chance he was told he hadn't got the job before he walked don't you?

18 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Where is this new man en route from? Tuesday Tommo walked, that's 2 days now with nobody really taking training in preparation for an important cup tie. Given ST had given the players the day off on Monday it does seem we might be a little unprepared come Saturday especially as one of the coaches currently taking training is unavailable on Saturday due to commitments with another team.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

To all those expecting Parkinson or an incumbent manager somewhere- it aint happening. We’re not paying Unsworth off and then shelling compensation out when they’re 60 applicants out of work. 

It’s Bowyer or Mellon. 

Or Bunn unless the compromise at board level is that none of them get their preferred choice!!

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

To all those expecting Parkinson or an incumbent manager somewhere- it aint happening. We’re not paying Unsworth off and then shelling compensation out when they’re 60 applicants out of work. 

It’s Bowyer or Mellon. 

I agree, and although neither sets my world alight I think either will be better than what we’ve had . 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s Bowyer or Mellon. 

Fair point but perhaps he would be on less money than the two higher profile names you mention, which would negate the compensation owed over the duration of a contract? 

My thoughts is the board are looking for a manager who knows the division very well, and know what personnel is required to get you at the right end. I don't believe Bowyer offers that, so my instinct is Mellon or Parkinson from Alty are the two best suited. I'm not entirely sure if Parkinson has even applied, but I'd expect they will have been approached by the club given the work he's done on such a small budget there.

There's clearly been a disagreement and fallout from a meeting this week. I'm not overly investing in this. Heads butting amongst upper management often happens in large organisations when key decisions (which will have an affect long term) are made.

I like ST, if only for the absolute honesty he has, particularly when dealing with the media. He did strike me as a coach first and manager second and a nagging doubt I had was why he hadn't taken a management role in the past (although I'd have accepted it if he was the chosen one).

3 minutes ago, chickenbaltipie said:

Fair point but perhaps he would be on less money than the two higher profile names you mention, which would negate the compensation owed over the duration of a contract? 

Possibly. 

But if say, Williamson or Parkinson are on 1k a week, are they really moving to a bigger club (from a steady job where they’re going well) and not getting their market value to negate the compo? They don’t owe us anything, they’re rightly after the best deal they can get. The club either pays it or they don’t. 

Or put another way. 

I want 2k a week. 

But we need to give your club x amount so we can only offer 1.5 a week 

Well that’s what I want, otherwise it’s not worth it. 

Might as well just give it to Mellon or Bowyer at 2k a week and save a bit of cash. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Possibly. 

But if say, Williamson or Parkinson are on 1k a week, are they really moving to a bigger club (from a steady job where they’re going well) and not getting their market value to negate the compo? They don’t owe us anything, they’re rightly after the best deal they can get. The club either pays it or they don’t. 

Or put another way. 

I want 2k a week. 

But we need to give your club x amount so we can only offer 1.5 a week 

Well that’s what I want, otherwise it’s not worth it. 

Might as well just give it to Mellon or Bowyer at 2k a week and save a bit of cash. 

I'd like to think the extensive recruitment process has led to the man identified as the best rather who is unemployed and/or pals with D & J.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I'd like to think the extensive recruitment process has led to the man identified as the best rather who is unemployed and/or pals with D & J.

So I would I. . . 

But I’m not naive either. There was a man unbeaten in 6 and averaging two points a game deemed not good enough. So I can only presume the power point presentation was out of this world. 

I'd say Parkinson probably couldn't apply while under contract at Alty. We would have had to approach Alty first to talk to him while under contract

And I can't see it this close to use playing them. Imagine if we won there in Saturday and the manager left to come here a day or 2 later

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Hate to say it, but I think the fake/real Barry Owen might be right about things going on at the club. Something is seriously off about all this to me ? 

To an extent he probably is, however he's probably blowing it out of proportion to deliberately shit stir.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hate to say it, but I think the fake/real Barry Owen might be right about things going on at the club. Something is seriously off about all this to me ? 

I'd be worried if the club was giving Shitpeas the time of day. We have moved beyond his arse licking, freeloading type hopefully. 

55 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

My thoughts is the board are looking for a manager who knows the division very well

FWIW the person I was chatting to on Sunday said the exact opposite  i.e. someone with experience further up the footballing chain was desired.

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

My hunch is there’s a power struggle for football decisions. 

At best- healthy robust debate. 

At worst- divisive. 

(But none of that means I’ll listen to a single thing shitpeas has to say) 

• Like 1