The Next Oldham Manager

19 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Indeed. I think, especlally this season, some of the football might be attritional at times. He be under pressure from the off and will need results, or at least to match the 45% win ratio he's bobbed along with throughout his career. Should we be in the same division next season, I would think he'll have more wriggle room to build a mentally tough, physical and dangerous team. The last two matches suggest we're nowhere near mentally tough or physical. I'm expecting a complete overhaul in midfield (probably via loans) and wouldn't be surprised if one or two 'luxury' players will be out of favour quite quickly.

I've had chance to think more about this appointment. It's a calculated decision from the board. They clearly want a man with a proven track record at this level and also the one above. He's a good play-offs man, given both Tranmere ones came via that route and this season, realistically, is about the best we can achieve. He was the only candidate who stood out who has that success in the bank. Even if it doesn't work out for him, I can't fault the board for picking him out on this occasion. It's worth noting that he picked out Jamie Vardy when he was Fleetwood manager so he's certainly a good judge of a player one would feel.

Fully behind the appointment, even though I'd perhaps not have gone for him myself. 

I didn’t actually realise how decent his record was in management until I read up on him. He’s proven and I think the board have done right with him. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Indeed. I think, especlally this season, some of the football might be attritional at times. He be under pressure from the off and will need results, or at least to match the 45% win ratio he's bobbed along with throughout his career. Should we be in the same division next season, I would think he'll have more wriggle room to build a mentally tough, physical and dangerous team. The last two matches suggest we're nowhere near mentally tough or physical. I'm expecting a complete overhaul in midfield (probably via loans) and wouldn't be surprised if one or two 'luxury' players will be out of favour quite quickly.

I've had chance to think more about this appointment. It's a calculated decision from the board. They clearly want a man with a proven track record at this level and also the one above. He's a good play-offs man, given both Tranmere ones came via that route and this season, realistically, is about the best we can achieve. He was the only candidate who stood out who has that success in the bank. Even if it doesn't work out for him, I can't fault the board for picking him out on this occasion. It's worth noting that he picked out Jamie Vardy when he was Fleetwood manager so he's certainly a good judge of a player one would feel.

Fully behind the appointment, even though I'd perhaps not have gone for him myself. 

I want two things, and it can come in whatever style he wants. 

Bully at home. 

Dig in away from home. 

Winning is that matters. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He sets-up like Unsworth, but can get the best out of James Norwood?

That sounds like a bit of a contradiction..

Here’s the thing-

Theres nothing wrong with hard to beat as long as you’re bullying and harassing and ultimately winning. 

The issue is when you’re passive with it, like Unsy was. 

I’d love nothing more than to be that horrible side that no one wants to play. 

• Like 3

Very satisfied with this appointment. Success is never guaranteed, even Guadiola wouldn’t be a shoe in at this level. But Mellon is successful and knowledgeable in this League. Just as important most potential signing’s will probably know him and his methods before committing to the cause . 
All aboard. 

42 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He's fucked then if we don't do that, right?

Every manager we could appoint is though. Cos of the position we are in (ie. Our lowest level) - only winning matters.

"Nice football" and mid table might be ok if we were in league one... not here. Win games.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Who's said he sets up like Unsworth?

I slightly misread a previous post.

There seems some concern with his style of play.

I don't pay much attention to other manager's style of play to be honest so I've no opinion on him, but I'm not sure how someone can play "bad" football but still get the best out of James Norwood.

I'll reserve judgement until I see his team in action, but he doesn't come with the immediate scepticism that Unsworth brought..

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't pay much attention to other manager's style of play to be honest so I've no opinion on him, but I'm not sure how someone can play "bad" football but still get the best out of James Norwood.

I'll reserve judgement until I see his team in action, but he doesn't come with the immediate scepticism that Unsworth brought..

He might get 15 games rather than 10 then before the boo bus is on his back... 😅

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I seem to recall he had Tranmere playing some bright, attacking football in his first spell. Second time around he was hamstrung by the owner being a bit of a pillock.

His overall record suggests he knows how to win. 45 per cent career win rate is pretty damn good. 

Let's hope he can quickly sort out our team of mard arses.

3 hours ago, Wardie said:

It's all part of the package which made him accept the offer. It means nothing in terms of longevity as we all know from the managerial merry-go-round. I don't get your problem, we have to trust the owners, the board and their decisions, let's just get the fuck on with it.

The "problem" comes from doing as you urge and trusting the owners and the board for far too long. The culture around the club is one of 'once bitten, twice shy'  and so laying in and telling people to follow decision-making on nothing but blind loyalty is more frustrating to me than the ultra cynical group of our supporters.

That said, I see no issue with a three-year deal, precisely because it provides stability. We also have to take into account what Mellon has asked for, after all he has those five promotions to negotiate with.

All in all, a good appointment. I'm still unconvinced that we will make a challenge for promotion this year - and winning promotion in two seasons of relegation from League Two remains an exception to the general rule - but he has time. Some early momentum, on the back of the stabilising effect of Thompson, and we could have a tilt at the play-offs. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

I seem to recall he had Tranmere playing some bright, attacking football in his first spell. Second time around he was hamstrung by the owner being a bit of a pillock.

His overall record suggests he knows how to win. 45 per cent career win rate is pretty damn good. 

Let's hope he can quickly sort out our team of mard arses.

Coincidentally had a meeting with that owner this morning but thought better stay of the subject of our managerial appointment!

Ok, monumental cock-up regarding DU's appointment. In my opinion, ST and Redders can count themselves unlucky not to have been given a go (and I think there is more to that than meets the eye, again just my opinion) but happy to get behind Latics 100% under a new manager who has decent credentials. Onwards and upwards.

I think he will get more patience from fans, simply because he does have a good track record and will know what to do to put things right on the pitch.