33 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

From what we've heard about Mellon from previous club's fans Sheron would be one of the first on the team sheet, unless he can sign an upgrade. I think Nuttall and Tollitt are the ones who should be worried. 

25 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

the what????

have you ever played the game? and l mean really played it, for years, with referees, linesthem, crowds, stewards and sometimes even the police?

if so did you often find yourself helping the manager during matches!!!!

Players Player of the Year is the only individual award worth winning other than Top Goalscorer.

Considering Murray played McGahey in CM on the weekend, supports the argument that both Shelton and Sheron are way below par. I know Sheron played, but one of them had to. 

Sheron plays because he is always available (to be praised for) and we have  limited options.

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Considering Murray played McGahey in CM on the weekend, supports the argument that both Shelton and Sheron are way below par. I know Sheron played, but one of them had to. 

Sheron plays because he is always available (to be praised for) and we have  limited options.

But many were calling for out of favour players to be given a run out

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

thats not what l picked you up on tho is it?

21 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

thats not what l picked you up on tho is it?

You asked a number of bizzare questions. I’ve played the game yeah, police, no. Crowds, to an extent but not to the level I assume you are thinking. 

He probably got players player because he played a number of positions, was a consistent in the team throughout the season and works very hard. 

Doesn’t mean he’s good enough. I expect better from a CM. I had exactly the same issue with players like Sylla and Fane. But people like them because they run and pass the ball 5 yards.

I prefer a CM such as Chris McCann who plays the CDM role with intelligence so doesn’t need to run a marathon to correct his own mistakes and can actually pass and look after a football. 

58 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Players Player of the Year is the only individual award worth winning other than Top Goalscorer.

Correct, but Sheron picking up the PP award is hardly a ringing endorsement in one of the most underwhelming seasons I can remember and especially when practically everyone around him was at best bang average!

He won it (and rightly so) because he puts a shift in and played practically every minute of every game but if we have ambitions to win this league anytime soon he will be a squad player at best!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

You asked a number of bizzare questions. I’ve played the game yeah, police, no. Crowds, to an extent but not to the level I assume you are thinking. 

He probably got players player because he played a number of positions, was a consistent in the team throughout the season and works very hard. 

Doesn’t mean he’s good enough. I expect better from a CM. I had exactly the same issue with players like Sylla and Fane. But people like them because they run and pass the ball 5 yards.

I prefer a CM such as Chris McCann who plays the CDM role with intelligence so doesn’t need to run a marathon to correct his own mistakes and can actually pass and look after a football. 

again, thats not what you said.we wouldnt be here if you did, bc l would have agreed!!

so, tell me again which player wins players player but do it without unnecessarily tryna de egrate it, hide behind a witty reply or confuse one simple urstion with 'lots of bizarre ones' 🙄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

again, thats not what you said.we wouldnt be here if you did, bc l would have agreed!!

so, tell me again which player wins players player but do it without unnecessarily tryna de egrate it, hide behind a witty reply or confuse one simple urstion with 'lots of bizarre ones' 🙄

I have no idea Monty sorry 😂

5 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

The old players player award. Sheron can’t pass a football, I don’t care about awards he gets for being a long distance runner. I’m sure Mellon will get rid / drop him asap. 

We'll soon see, won't we? The notable thing is, the award was given by his peers and tells me a lot about what he's like in the areas we don't see (or appreciate as much). I won't derail this into a Sheron thread, but you can't argue his effort, commitment and energy even if he "cant pass a ball" like you say. It's also notable that in the last 2½ seasons he's played under four managers and only been subbed four times in 88 appearances which tells me I'd more weight on that than what a nesbit on OWTB thinks.

Anyway, like someone else says. I really think Sheron will be a Micky Mellon type of player.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

the what????

have you ever played the game? and l mean really played it, for years, with referees, linesthem, crowds, stewards and sometimes even the police?

if so did you often find yourself helping the manager during matches!!!!

Best awards: 

1. Top Shagger 

2. Junior Latics Player of the year 

3. Top Goalscorer 

4. Players player

5. Fans player 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

We'll soon see, won't we? The notable thing is, the award was given by his peers and tells me a lot about what he's like in the areas we don't see (or appreciate as much). I won't derail this into a Sheron thread, but you can't argue his effort, commitment and energy even if he "cant pass a ball" like you say. It's also notable that in the last 2½ seasons he's played under four managers and only been subbed four times in 88 appearances which tells me I'd more weight on that than what a nesbit on OWTB thinks.

Anyway, like someone else says. I really think Sheron will be a Micky Mellon type of player.

I see both sides of the argument with Sheron. He’s a battler, and always puts a shift in. But is he a promotion winning midfielder- IE do you see him linking defence and attack and or playing the killer pass- not for me. 

Having said that, I’d like to see him and Lundy for a few games to see if they can gel. Because if Lundy can be the link player and he does dirty work then there could be potential there. If he is replaced though, I’d definitely still have him in every match day squad because he’s a fantastic utility player who won’t let you down. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I see both sides of the argument with Sheron. He’s a battler, and always puts a shift in. But is he a promotion winning midfielder- IE do you see him linking defence and attack and or playing the killer pass- not for me. 

Having said that, I’d like to see him and Lundy for a few games to see if they can gel. Because if Lundy can be the link player and he does dirty work then there could be potential there. If he is replaced though, I’d definitely still have him in every match day squad because he’s a fantastic utility player who won’t let you down. 

Having watched the England match tonight here is a Sheron analogy for you.

Phillips played in midfield-was lucky to stay on after 2 bad tackles but this is basically all he did. No lack of effort yet almost every pass was a wall pass or went backwards BUT he was surrounded by better players who both covered and compensated for his weakness.

Can see why he struggles to get in the City side but is an almost automatic pick for England.

Can England win the Euros with him in the squad?

17 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Phillips played in midfield-was lucky to stay on after 2 bad tackles but this is basically all he did. No lack of effort yet almost every pass was a wall pass or went backwards BUT he was surrounded by better players who both covered and compensated for his weakness.

Can see why he struggles to get in the City side but is an almost automatic pick for England.

I didn’t see the game mate- did he play in a 3? Or sit as the holder?  Because if he did then Phillips like Sheron are probably best suited to them roles- because all they have to do is graft, tackle, break down play and pass it 5 yards to the two more expansive midfielders. In the right formation It’s a simple but highly effective role. 

The problem comes in a two IMO. 

Imagine England playing 442 with Bellingham and Phillips. . . there’s one player there linking defence and attack and dictating the game. Which leaves the risk of getting overrun, because you can’t keep the ball for long enough. 

8 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Phillips is not good enough for City. Sheron is not good enough for Latics.