Just now, Wardie said:

It's the Latics way, to press the red button. marked 'Pissboil'. :D 

Because unfortunately that's just the way things are run, four weeks in to a recruitment process, guys unbeaten in 6, two points a game and they are moving him out in favour of a new man.

Brave move this one when we could have just steadied the ship.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Because unfortunately that's just the way things are run, four weeks in to a recruitment process, guys unbeaten in 6, two points a game and they are moving him out in favour of a new man.

The ship is steady but who wants bloody steady!

18 months ago I would have taken steady but now I want a manager with some experience and drive who can get us out of this division.

ST in my view wasn't the right man to do this so I look forward to seeing who we appoint.

Frank Rothwell is a doer and my guess is this time round he will be having a big influence on the type of individual who gets the gig.

Btw thanks Thomo for being a great ship steadier!👍

59 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm in the wait and see the full story camp.

We might not be a bad place to manage now, supportive board, decent budget for the league but we are still 5th tier. League 1 in 5 years maybe.

Might not be the clubs decision say for instance  Redders has got another gig lined up and ST has resigned to go with him?

Maybe we might then say 'ah but if we had offered him £x sooner he might have stayed'

Time will tell- it could be a too good to refuse offer.

Total disaster for the board. Whatever has happened, whether they have been lied to and treated badly, or got another job the hoard should have managed this better. 

additionally the whole point of the recruitment manager was to try and get continuity in signings ect. Now we are going to get new manager, with new ideas and a total change of personnel. May be needed, may not but upheaval like this doesn’t happen to teams in seasons they get promoted 

• Like 1

So if the rumours are true- the football men have won the day. It’s a big call, and one the football men need to get right because if the new guy struggles after getting rid of unbeaten manager the pressure will be straight back on. 

I wonder if ST isn’t wanted because if their mate Unsworth had to go, so did ST. . . 

• Like 1

If Unsworth had got those last 6 results with exactly those performances not a single person would have changed their opinion on whether he should be sacked or not.

That's not to say ST couldn't have come good as he seems a very honest bloke with years of top coaching experience. It's more that going unbeaten as we did but being regularly out played against teams at the bottom is not a high bar for the new boss to beat.

• Like 1

The new man will come in knowing a proposition of the fan base wanted ST and him being unbeaten in 6 games. A hard run of games coming up and it could be a huge call this. 

We cannot get in the situation we did with Unsy and not the new man not winning a game and blaming fitness / players. 

We need a good start. 

What I would like to know is why he has lost his old job. He should be able to return to it if he wants to.

He stepped in to help and I assume they "promoted him" as they thought he was decent at his job otherwise you wouldn't have put him in charge.

In my job if you go on secondment you are legally bound to go back to your original job. 

• Like 1

Just now, nzlatic said:

If Unsworth had got those last 6 results with exactly those performances not a single person would have changed their opinion on whether he should be sacked or not.

That's not to say ST couldn't have come good as he seems a very honest bloke with years of top coaching experience. It's more that going unbeaten as we did but being regularly out played against teams at the bottom is not a high bar for the new boss to beat.

You best believe no one will talk about the performances. They will talk about how ST wasn’t given the job after taking us from relegation zone to 3 points outside the playoffs, whilst unbeaten averaging 2 points a game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

What I would like to know is why he has lost his old job. He should be able to return to it if he wants to.

He stepped in to help and I assume they "promoted him" as they thought he was decent at his job otherwise you wouldn't have put him in charge.

In my job if you go on secondment you are legally bound to go back to your original job. 

Perhaps the position is now redundant.

10 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Why assume he wanted it?

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Disagree.  

For most fair minded fans, the noise stopped when Unsworth (playing some of the worst football I’ve ever seen) started winning games at the end of last season. 

If Unsworth had had ST’s run this season he’d still be in a job, the board have already demonstrated they will accept abject but winning football. 

So why is ST any different, and after a few poor performances, but averaging two points a game?  

Lots of people saying Mellon is direct, so if the football is shit but we’re winning- what again, what difference is he to ST? 

The only way your point stands, is if they appoint a Williamson type. But if the new guy is direct, then it’s just rinse and repeat. 

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Why assume he wanted it?

What? Do you mean assume he wanted his old job?

My first sentence was that I wanted to know and then said normally when you temporarily take over another job your old job is still waiting for you to go back to.

I just thought he was fine within his own role and only stepped in to help out because Unsworth left. So that's what I want to know ,  what has changed to make him leave completely?

3 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

My first sentence was that I wanted to know and then said normally when you temporarily take over another job your old job is still waiting for you to go back to.

I just thought he was fine within his own role and only stepped in to help out because Unsworth left. So that's what I want to know ,  what has changed to make him leave completely?

I have no idea and just speculating. But ST wanted the job, applied and didn’t get it. He was unbeaten in 6 and salvaged a terrible start to the season. 

He is probably, and understandably, pissed off. As you can’t argue with the turn around he did for us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Mellon wants his own staff?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Who knows?  He'd already stepped up from his recruitment job when Jeffers left.  You said he should be able to return to his old job if he wants to - but we have no idea if he did

The MailOnline states: "Steve Thompson resigned as Oldham Athletic’s interim manager after his position became untenable. The 58-year-old spent just three-and-a-half weeks at the helm, assisted by Neil Redfearn, and left the Latics following a meeting with the club’s hierarchy on Wednesday."

However, they don't say why his position became untenable!

The Oldham Times states: "Thompson left after a meeting with board members on Tuesday and will not be returning to the club in any capacity."