On 10/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, Longlostfan said:

you may well be right- I wasn't saying that did happen just offering a scenario in which I could imagine say Redders wanting a bit more than petrol money he might have been taking whilst helping his mate short term.

Looks more likely now they knew they hadn't got the job but................

They knew at the start of the week, they also knew the club wouldn't have Mellon in place for the FA cup game. Club hadn't planned on announcing anything until Monday. Contract only signed Friday and they'd had to rush that to get something out last week.

Both Thompson and Redfearn are absolute wankers in my book. Neither with an ounce of care about the club, the fans and the cup game.

Paul Murray proper latics cult hero.

13 minutes ago, Shrek said:

They knew at the start of the week, they also knew the club wouldn't have Mellon in place for the FA cup game. Club hadn't planned on announcing anything until Monday. Contract only signed Friday and they'd had to rush that to get something out last week.

Both Thompson and Redfearn are absolute wankers in my book. Neither with an ounce of care about the club, the fans and the cup game.

Wankers ? Really ? They probably felt they had done enough to get the job, wanted the job and didn’t get it. When Mellon was all but confirmed they decided to leave, knowing Murray was in the position to take charge. 

It would have been nice to have one more game so the fans could voice a thanks given they salvage a fuck up from Unsy. 

Anyhow, we move forward with Mellon. 

13 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Bit harsh in your level of personal criticism but agree they've not handled rejection very well.

Staying another couple of days would have shown a bit more class.

34 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Wankers ? Really ? They probably felt they had done enough to get the job, wanted the job and didn’t get it. When Mellon was all but confirmed they decided to leave, knowing Murray was in the position to take charge. 

It would have been nice to have one more game so the fans could voice a thanks given they salvage a fuck up from Unsy. 

Anyhow, we move forward with Mellon. 

They sulked off. Whether they incorrectly thought they'd got the job their remit was to caretake until the new manager came in.

Both talked of their affection for the club, all nonsense. 

Murray wasn't set for Saturday, his assistant was playing for Radcliffe!

3 hours ago, Shrek said:

2 hours ago, Shrek said:

They sulked off. Whether they incorrectly thought they'd got the job their remit was to caretake until the new manager came in.

Both talked of their affection for the club, all nonsense. 

Murray wasn't set for Saturday, his assistant was playing for Radcliffe!

We have a new contender for Ridiculous Post of the Year and I'm not sure I can see either of the above being beaten.

In what other walk of life would a stand-in manager on learning he hadn't got the job he'd applied for be condemned for leaving and seeking a role elsewhere? If you want loyalty, get a dog.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

We have a new contender for Ridiculous Post of the Year and I'm not sure I can see either of the above being beaten.

In what other walk of life would a stand-in manager on learning he hadn't got the job he'd applied for be condemned for leaving and seeking a role elsewhere? If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Difference being Thommo was still employed by the club and was only called in as Interim. 

6 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Difference being Thommo was still employed by the club and was only called in as Interim. 

I don’t get the issue with him leaving straight away. 

Yeah, he had a role at the club- but that changed when he got his first taste of management. Nothing wrong with feeling differently after the experience and wanting another challenge. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

So what? You expect him to hang around for a few more days and oversee the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup? Seriously? And when he doesn't does that justify him being called a wanker? I don't see a difference sorry. We don't even know whether his old role was still open to him.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t get the issue with him leaving straight away. 

Yeah, he had a role at the club- but that changed when he got his first taste of management. Nothing wrong with feeling differently after the experience and wanting another challenge. 

Exactly. And when a club fires a manager he has to walk straight away, why should Thompson be condemned for doing exactly that?

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I don't think Shrek/Clifford is too far off the mark. He's obviously thrown his toys out of the pram after not getting the job. Look forward to rubbing his face in it when we stuff Fylde in just over a week...

Is that where Thompson has gone? 

56 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I don't think Shrek/Clifford is too far off the mark. He's obviously thrown his toys out of the pram after not getting the job. Look forward to rubbing his face in it when we stuff Fylde in just over a week...

Given your track record on forecasting results, God help us in that game then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I've seen agency many times not get a gig but see their role out. Says more about you that you think it's ok he left early and quit his other role.

Thommo spouted his desire to build a legacy, his connection with the club. He couldn't even stomach taking on the last game because he was throwing a tantrum.

Maybe the club were shocked to hear him say that he 100% wanted the job. I was. Thought he was just keeping things ticking over and was happy as Head of Recruitment. I’m glad Thommo did well although they were 6 games I’d expect us to get points from. The club were in a tough position once Thompson declared interest whilst they were interviewing for a new manager.

It is hard to look past his involvement in a scattergun recruitment strategy. And was his parting gift extending Sheron’s contract?

8 hours ago, Shrek said:

I've seen agency many times not get a gig but see their role out. Says more about you that you think it's ok he left early and quit his other role.

Thommo spouted his desire to build a legacy, his connection with the club. He couldn't even stomach taking on the last game because he was throwing a tantrum.

your post both contradicts itsself and looks dense AF. well done!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

It is hard to look past his involvement in a scattergun recruitment strategy. And was his parting gift extending Sheron’s contract?

It's hard to level what was directly his recruitment and what wasn't. Personally I don't think the recruitment's been too bad as I've said before. Players of the calibre of Hobson, Kitching and Norwood have been exactly who we need. The very nature of the "get bodies in" approach last season will result in a couple of rash signings (Rooney, Shelton, Abraham etc). 

I'm sure Sheron's contract was an appearance based trigger anyway and I still think he's a decent squad player. He won players player of the season by being nominated by the very lads he trains and plays with after all.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Shrek said:

I wouldn't be surprised if agency staff stayed in their role after being unsuccessful for the permanent position. It is much easier to do mentally.

Those acting up from within though I think are another matter. We also don't know where Thompson got to in the interview process, if he didn't make the final 3, then I am really not surprised he left when he did.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's hard to level what was directly his recruitment and what wasn't. Personally I don't think the recruitment's been too bad as I've said before. Players of the calibre of Hobson, Kitching and Norwood have been exactly who we need. The very nature of the "get bodies in" approach last season will result in a couple of rash signings (Rooney, Shelton, Abraham etc). 

I'm sure Sheron's contract was an appearance based trigger anyway and I still think he's a decent squad player. He won players player of the season by being nominated by the very lads he trains and plays with after all.

The old players player award. Sheron can’t pass a football, I don’t care about awards he gets for being a long distance runner. I’m sure Mellon will get rid / drop him asap. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The old players player award. Sheron can’t pass a football, I don’t care about awards he gets for being a long distance runner. I’m sure Mellon will get rid / drop him asap. 

From what we've heard about Mellon from previous club's fans Sheron would be one of the first on the team sheet, unless he can sign an upgrade. I think Nuttall and Tollitt are the ones who should be worried. 

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

the what????

have you ever played the game? and l mean really played it, for years, with referees, linesthem, crowds, stewards and sometimes even the police?

if so did you often find yourself helping the manager during matches!!!!

Players Player of the Year is the only individual award worth winning other than Top Goalscorer.

Edited by Monty Burns
final para
  • Thanks 1