2 hours ago, League one forever said:

So if the rumours are true- the football men have won the day. It’s a big call, and one the football men need to get right because if the new guy struggles after getting rid of unbeaten manager the pressure will be straight back on. 

I wonder if ST isn’t wanted because if their mate Unsworth had to go, so did ST. . . 

Or could it be that the previous "bad blood" between JR and NR had re-surfaced? They had a big fallout prior to NR's famous penalty to win us the title:-

"In his autobiography he says that he did not especially care about Oldham's situation, and that he only wanted to score to toss two more fingers at his manager Joe Royle, who had stopped picking him. Indeed Redfearn had asked for a transfer two days earlier, and the penalty would be his last kick for Oldham. It was a fitting twist for a man who would become the first occupant of English football's mezzanine level, the house for those not good enough for the Premier League and too good for the Championship."

Edited by wiseowl

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If Unsworth had got those last 6 results with exactly those performances not a single person would have changed their opinion on whether he should be sacked or not.

That's not to say ST couldn't have come good as he seems a very honest bloke with years of top coaching experience. It's more that going unbeaten as we did but being regularly out played against teams at the bottom is not a high bar for the new boss to beat.

With both Unsworth (when the results were decent) and ST I just thought meh, it might work. If they'd have sacked Unsworth in the close season I wouldn't have been disappointed, just like I'm not overly disappointed ST has gone. 

Hopefully we're getting someone where we can all think "yes, this is the man" and support him even when things aren't going well...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Or could it be that the previous "bad blood" between JR and NR had re-surfaced? They had a big fallout prior to NR's famous penalty to win us the title:-

"In his autobiography he says that he did not especially care about Oldham's situation, and that he only wanted to score to toss two more fingers at his manager Joe Royle, who had stopped picking him. Indeed Redfearn had asked for a transfer two days earlier, and the penalty would be his last kick for Oldham. It was a fitting twist for a man who would become the first occupant of English football's mezzanine level, the house for those not good enough for the Premier League and too good for the Championship."

I remember asking JR at the time why we had sold Redfearn and his answer was "he's a first division player with a 2nd division brain" Redfearn certainly went on to prove him wrong really and I think Joe got that one wrong, i'd have much preferred to keep him and not bring Milligan back from down the M62.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Do you think you might have gone a bit early on that?

Not really, we are in to the fourth week of recruitment and in a position where we have a guy whose returned two points a game effectively walking out of the club seemingly pissed off with what's going on, if the new man isn't currently employed and the front runners mentioned are not then why can't we get all this shite boxed off and move on, supposedly we have a board and CEO the envy of many an EFL team yet we are still going to rock up at Alty for an important cup game this weekend with our third manager in as many weeks, probably our fourth the week after at Dale, some might be comfortable with that but I just find it disappointing. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Hopefully we're getting someone where we can all think "yes, this is the man" and support him even when things aren't going well...

Don't get your hopes up. 

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

I remember asking JR at the time why we had sold Redfearn and his answer was "he's a first division player with a 2nd division brain" Redfearn certainly went on to prove him wrong really and I think Joe got that one wrong, i'd have much preferred to keep him and not bring Milligan back from down the M62.

Agree - I thought Redfearn was a very good midfield player for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Or could it be that the previous "bad blood" between JR and NR had re-surfaced?

ST- 'If I get the gig I want something for my mate Redders'

One or more of the board 'No chance'

ST- 'right then I'm off'

Possible? ST and Redders seem close. Close enough to give up a job for- don't know

31 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

ST- 'If I get the gig I want something for my mate Redders'

One or more of the board 'No chance'

ST- 'right then I'm off'

Possible? ST and Redders seem close. Close enough to give up a job for- don't know

no they wudnt have brought NR in just to keep ST and get rid of NR three weeks later

I have no idea what's going on and I don't claim to be ITK, but my take on what may have happened is.

ST gets interviewed for the job and stays in the job while they interview other candidates. Some point in the meantime, possibly Monday or Tuesday ST finds out he didn't make the second interview stage, so not in the top 3 candidates. Most people in that position don't act up any more and if they are at a senior enough level find work elsewhere pretty quickly, or quit.

I think it says something that the coach who got the same squad performing significantly better than DU wasn't able to get the job on a permanent basis. It reflects badly on DU and the board for appointing him in the first place 

10 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I have no idea what's going on and I don't claim to be ITK, but my take on what may have happened is.

ST gets interviewed for the job and stays in the job while they interview other candidates. Some point in the meantime, possibly Monday or Tuesday ST finds out he didn't make the second interview stage, so not in the top 3 candidates. Most people in that position don't act up any more and if they are at a senior enough level find work elsewhere pretty quickly, or quit.

I think it says something that the coach who got the same squad performing significantly better than DU wasn't able to get the job on a permanent basis. It reflects badly on DU and the board for appointing him in the first place 

You may be right Ben, but I take issue with the fact you say "the squad were performing significantly better". For me the last few games were very Unsworthesque, we may have cobbled some draws out of them but it was a hard watch. I can take unglamorous football if we are turning teams over but we haven't really dominated these games. For my money we need a experienced coach/manager who can get so much more from our squad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Not really, we are in to the fourth week of recruitment and in a position where we have a guy whose returned two points a game effectively walking out of the club seemingly pissed off with what's going on, if the new man isn't currently employed and the front runners mentioned are not then why can't we get all this shite boxed off and move on, supposedly we have a board and CEO the envy of many an EFL team yet we are still going to rock up at Alty for an important cup game this weekend with our third manager in as many weeks, probably our fourth the week after at Dale, some might be comfortable with that but I just find it disappointing. 

But it's not a shitshow or unmitigated disaster. We've enough experience of those over the last few years to recognise this as not being remotely on that scale.

48 minutes ago, disjointed said:

You may be right Ben, but I take issue with the fact you say "the squad were performing significantly better". For me the last few games were very Unsworthesque, we may have cobbled some draws out of them but it was a hard watch. I can take unglamorous football if we are turning teams over but we haven't really dominated these games. For my money we need a experienced coach/manager who can get so much more from our squad. 

12 points in 6 games is significantly better than 7 points in 9 games. It's more than double the points per game. 2 v 0.7777777...

Performances don't matter points do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

12 points in 6 games is significantly better than 7 points in 9 games. It's more than double the points per game. 2 v 0.7777777...

We played some poor teams who we should have been handing them their arse. I'm not saying Unsworth would have even got close to that, but we should really be better off points wise. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Agreed, but you can't ignore the quality of the opposition.

36 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Agreed, but you can't ignore the quality of the opposition.

What like that football powerhouse Dorking, who were injury hit, IIRC.

Do I think Unsworth gets more points that his 0.77777... points per game against who ST played, yes. Do I think he gets the 2 ppg that ST got, no.

• Like 2

Some extraordinarily OTT posts on here. Presumably ST would have had feelers out to other clubs in case he didn't get the gig, and once that was confirmed he maybe decided he didn't want to stay in any capacity but move on. Good luck to him regardless. Now let's calm down and await the appointment of the new manager.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

no they wudnt have brought NR in just to keep ST and get rid of NR three weeks later

you may well be right- I wasn't saying that did happen just offering a scenario in which I could imagine say Redders wanting a bit more than petrol money he might have been taking whilst helping his mate short term.

Looks more likely now they knew they hadn't got the job but................

1 minute ago, Longlostfan said:

you may well be right- I wasn't saying that did happen just offering a scenario in which I could imagine say Redders wanting a bit more than petrol money he might have been taking whilst helping his mate short term.

Looks more likely now they knew they hadn't got the job but................

lools like it doesnt it. this time yesterday l wasnt too enthused by MM but five promotions is pretty good