Who was he

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Dean Furman, Toddy Orlygson. 

I was going to suggest John Sheridan and Mike Milligan as they both played for the Republic of Ireland but its non-british Isles.

Edited by GlossopLatic
Actually if its none British Isles then no they don't qualify, carry on

Just now, disjointed said:

Right so we are assembling a side that isn't from the United Kingdom and Ireland. 

Yep. Let's exclude,  for the sake of political clarity, any players we might have had from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man which are not part of the UK but are part of the British Isles 

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

No our midfield would be John Sheridan and Mike Milligan both played for the Republic of Ireland. Even though both are thoroughly Mancunian they qualify on the fact they represented the Republic of Ireland 

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Irish players were considered overseas players when there was a restriction in European competitions. One of the reasons the United team from the mid 90s didn't win the Champions league imo, because i felt the 94 team was better than the treble winning side but the likes of Irwin and Keane were considered as overseas so they never were able to get their full strength side out. Anyway, scrap my suggestion of Denis!

From the Irish perspective, some[according to whom?] consider "The British Isles" as a political term rather than a geographical name for the archipelago because of the Tudor conquest of Ireland, the subsequent Cromwellian activities in Ireland, the Williamite accession in Britain and the Williamite War in Ireland—all of which resulted in severe impact on the Irish people, landowners and native aristocracy. From that perspective, the term "British Isles" is not a neutral geographical term but an unavoidably political one.[citation needed] Use of the name "British Isles" is often rejected in the Republic of Ireland, because some claim its use implies a primacy of British identity over all the islands outside the United Kingdom, including the Irish state and the Crown dependencies of the Isle of Man and Channel Islands, that was historically dominating and is currently inaccurate, since Ireland is neither Britain nor British.[

If you want to include Ireland then it should be referred to as IONA (Islands of the North Atlantic)

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Stefan Stam.

The Italian chap who LJ sold to his Dad at Yeovil was pretty decent..

Matteo Lanzoni bit gutted we only got 10 games out of him could have been really good here. Was a handsome bastard aswell.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Irish players were considered overseas players when there was a restriction in European competitions. One of the reasons the United team from the mid 90s didn't win the Champions league imo, because i felt the 94 team was better than the treble winning side but the likes of Irwin and Keane were considered as overseas so they never were able to get their full strength side out. Anyway, scrap my suggestion of Denis!

UEFA considered Welsh players (and Scottish) to be overseas for English clubs for a period. 

Quite rightly too, especially as it stopped United winning.

Are you even a proper Oldham fan if you can compliment the 1994 Man United team? Very sus, as the kids say.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

UEFA considered Welsh players (and Scottish) to be overseas for English clubs for a period. 

Quite rightly too, especially as it stopped United winning.

Are you even a proper Oldham fan if you can compliment the 1994 Man United team? Very sus, as the kids say.

Don't get me wrong, i hated them! In fact it gives me great pleasure that we had that team of theirs by the b***ocks. It was undoubtedly a great side and the fact we were narrowly beaten 3-2 at Old Trafford and were then within a minute of beating them at Wembley 6 days later was a fantastic achievement. You can appreciate good sides whilst not liking them you know. 

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

From the Irish perspective, some[according to whom?] consider "The British Isles" as a political term rather than a geographical name for the archipelago because of the Tudor conquest of Ireland, the subsequent Cromwellian activities in Ireland, the Williamite accession in Britain and the Williamite War in Ireland—all of which resulted in severe impact on the Irish people, landowners and native aristocracy. From that perspective, the term "British Isles" is not a neutral geographical term but an unavoidably political one.[citation needed] Use of the name "British Isles" is often rejected in the Republic of Ireland, because some claim its use implies a primacy of British identity over all the islands outside the United Kingdom, including the Irish state and the Crown dependencies of the Isle of Man and Channel Islands, that was historically dominating and is currently inaccurate, since Ireland is neither Britain nor British.[

If you want to include Ireland then it should be referred to as IONA (Islands of the North Atlantic)

I'm not looking at it from the Irish perspective. And just for clarity I love Ireland. My partner is Irish and I have been there dozens of times. God alone knows why you want to turn this into a political debate.

22 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Don't get me wrong, i hated them! In fact it gives me great pleasure that we had that team of theirs by the b***ocks. It was undoubtedly a great side and the fact we were narrowly beaten 3-2 at Old Trafford and were then within a minute of beating them at Wembley 6 days later was a fantastic achievement. You can appreciate good sides whilst not liking them you know. 

Oh Yes, you can but not them. Never them.