MATCH: Gateshead (H) 23/12/23 ๐ŸŽ„

15 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

ย 

You don't say...but the answer is to sack him then?

ย 

Didn't say that, new players are needed, butย 

his home tactics have been abysmal. Trying to replicate away tactics repeatedly at home has proven a disaster and he needs to rethink that policy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Looking at our match day squad what formation would you suggest?

ย 

3 players who have a bit of pace and work hard at pressing oppents Fondop, Hope and Willoughby didn't start.ย  Yet MM plays extra 3 central defenders.

I'm thinking now we couldn't do worse with Hallam Hope at right back as he's often seen deep and can get forward.

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

ย 

Halfย  a dozen players who are quick and can pass a ball. Gateshead on a much smaller budget found then so have Altrincham.

Almost 7,000 fansย 

deserve better footballers than this lotย 

We do indeed, itโ€™s ridiculous we havenโ€™t won at home since sept, I actually thought weโ€™d draw or get beat but didnโ€™t think weโ€™d be so bad with it.ย 

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought he was absolutely piss poor for the 2nd goal...

ย 

I prefer Norman, he has a much stronger penalty area presence.

However, for some reason he's not considered and its not as though he was playing badly enough to be dropped.

26 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Hudson

ย 

Sutton. RB!! Shit

Hobson

Hogan

Kitching

ย 

Green. Injured/shit

Shelton. ย Youโ€™re jokingโ€ฆ. shit

Gardner Injuredย 

Sheron

Dickinson Injured/shit

ย 

Norwood

ย 

Regardless itโ€™s all just damage limitationโ€ฆ.the fact we canโ€™t compete head to head with fucking Gateshead at home and havenโ€™t beaten them yet is whatโ€™s seriously pissing me off!!

ย 

All them shit players and we took the game to them, nullified their threats and frustrated them. Until we can impose ourselves on teams, create an identity and change the mindset within the group it is going to be all about damage limitation and incremental improvement, you asked how we should have set up and I gave you an example of when we went there under Rhino and got a decent result, should have won and tactically out thought them. It was three month ago.

ย 

ย 

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1

I took my brother yesterday to his first game since 1978. He quite enjoyed it, but then he wasn't emotionally invested.

ย 

Mellon would have been well aware of the abilities of most members of this squad as most of them have played in games he's been involved in.ย  I'm therefore surprised that he's so perplexed about how to get anything out of them.

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Not sure if itโ€™s been mentioned, but wasnโ€™t the first Gateshead goal massively offside? Looked like it for me sat in line and the linesman was nowhere near up with play.ย 

ย 

A couple of yards off, I was in line with it. The lower main stand paddock were going apeshit at the lino all half after that. Having saying that, we all know how poor officials are in this division, yet we try and play an offside trap which is soleley reliant on competent officials. Far too risky for me.

ย 

Agreed with @Lee Sinnott, keeper should have claimed that far post cross with ease. Stupid free kick to concede too by Sutton. That said, those that are blaming Hudson for most of our conceded goals recently need to give their heads a wobble. He has weaknesses (distribution), but he's pulled off some excellent saves too, one of them yesterday.

ย 

Gateshead are, probably the best actual football side in the division. They move the ball around so well with such good tempo. Massive caveat to that is for 45 minutes we just stood back and let them, and didn't bother pressing and harrying them as we did for the last 15 minutes of the first half. If you get up close to them and press high (as Stones showed) they get knocked off the ball rather easily. We can only seem to do our pressing in short bursts so until this changes to all match then we're going to be routinely subjected to these kind of capitulations.

ย 

Lundstram's carrying a knock isn't he, so it's understandable it flares up. But we need more players with his calmness on the ball. Set up our goal well and that turn and drive forward just before he went off was what I love to see. McGahey, as much as I admire him for coming back off an awful injury, doesn't have the guile and class to be effective as a CDM. Over time, McGahey and Sheron will be replaced for classier, high-energy players.

• Like 2

Letโ€™s have it right, this playing 5 centre backs is a joke. Solihull we got away with it, but that first half was shocking and Solihull just bottled it.ย 
ย 

Yesterday was awful and I like Mellon and think heโ€™s the right man. But Hope has come on recently and scored goals. Kurt came on at home playing behind the two strikers and made a difference. Yet he brought on Kofi who was clearly out of his depth.ย 
ย 

Playing Sutton at RWB is a sackable offence. Iโ€™m also at the point of looking at the board and questioning them on this right back situation.ย 
ย 

McGahey is an overweight 28 year old centre back playing centre mid, another question mark.ย 
ย 

The players take responsibility as some are dreadful and inconsistent at best. But the board for me need questioning on the right back and centre midfield situation. Mellon needs to get his act together with home tactics and thinking itโ€™s okay to play Sutton at RWB.ย 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Clip on twitter shows Hogan playing him on ( while sticking his arm up appealing)!

ย 

I don't think that clip is conclusive at all. It's at an angle. He was offside as soon as the ball was poked through. People on Twitter mentioning Kitching (out of shot) but he was miles further forward.

ย 

The most amusing thing was the notion of Hogan spending less time with his arm up and more time getting towards the player. Well, he'd be just arriving at him about now.

7 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

ย 

It's absolutely infuriating when Hogan does this. He's often too busy making appeals than doing his job.

He does some great things then backs it up with something you'd see on Clayton playing fields on a Sunday morning. Not the only one mind, every one of them centrehalfs has mistakes in them.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

He does some great things then backs it up with something you'd see on Clayton playing fields on a Sunday morning. Not the only one mind, every one of them centrehalfs has mistakes in them.

Sack Hogan off as a last 10/20 min man to see out games and play McGahey or Sutton in that position. Hogan is crap.ย 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Sack Hogan off as a last 10/20 min man to see out games and play McGahey or Sutton in that position. Hogan is crap.ย 

I watched a re run of class of 92 the other day, and Hogan is playing for Salford in his peak years in the division below. .ย I donโ€™t think heโ€™s crap, but heโ€™s not the answer moving forward and will get released in the summer when his contract is up.ย 

ย 

ย 

56 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

ย 

Mellon would have been well aware of the abilities of most members of this squad as most of them have played in games he's been involved in.ย  I'm therefore surprised that he's so perplexed about how to get anything out of them.

His post home match interviews are sounding the same every timeโ€ฆ.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

ย 

He's managed over 700 games.ย  Given I would struggle to name many opposition player from the last 10 years+, I think it's a bit harsh to assume he'd have comprehensive knowledge on every player from games he's been involved in..

ย 

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

His post home match interviews are sounding the same every timeโ€ฆ.

ย 

How is he supposed to sugar-coat it?

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

How is he supposed to sugar-coat it?

Heโ€™s not, and shouldnโ€™t.ย 
ย 

Thatโ€™s not the point.

Fan sympathy wears thin when the man in charge keeps saying the same things- itโ€™s his job to change it, and if the players canโ€™t or wonโ€™t - the board need to help him as much as they can.ย 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I watched a re run of class of 92 the other day, and Hogan is playing for Salford in his peak years in the division below. .ย I donโ€™t think heโ€™s crap, but heโ€™s not the answer moving forward and will get released in the summer when his contract is up.ย 

ย 

ย 

Na I think heโ€™s below the standard of player we need. He got caught on the ball easily yesterday, canโ€™t pick a forward pass. Heโ€™s okay in a physical battle and thatโ€™s about it.ย 
ย 

On that, when are the defenders going to start chipping in with goals from corners ?ย 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Heโ€™s not, and shouldnโ€™t.ย 
ย 

Thatโ€™s not the point.

Fan sympathy wears thin when the man in charge keeps saying the same things- itโ€™s his job to change it, and if the players canโ€™t or wonโ€™t - the board need to help him as much as they can.ย 

ย 

He has tried changing it - almost on the weekly basis, but the results are largely the same, so I can't see what he's saying in interviews changing that much until - as you say - the board steps up.

ย 

Apportioning the blame to Mellon at this stage is nuts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Na I think heโ€™s below the standard of player we need. He got caught on the ball easily yesterday, canโ€™t pick a forward pass. Heโ€™s okay in a physical battle and thatโ€™s about it.ย 
ย 

On that, when are the defenders going to start chipping in with goals from corners ?ย 

When the start making runs as the ball is being played instead of grappling with their markers.

And for god's sake someone get across the near post !!ย ย ๐Ÿฅต

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

ย 

He has tried changing it - almost on the weekly basis, but the results are largely the same, so I can't see what he's saying in interviews changing that much until - as you say - the board steps up.

ย 

Apportioning the blame to Mellon at this stage is nuts.

So we donโ€™t question or discuss Mellon at all?
ย 

What has he tried changing at home?ย 
ย 

442 to 352. Thatโ€™s it.ย 
ย 

The performance is largely same. Start really passive, sometimes come into game, sometimes donโ€™t.ย 
ย 

The same players go out and play much better away from home. So they can do it.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™s not ALL on the players.ย 

ย 

I have full confidence that given his own players heโ€™ll get us where we want to be- but there is a limit to that this season. So just saying the squad isnโ€™t good enough, when the week before they played well itโ€™s absolute nonsense. He himself says all the time itโ€™s on us not them.ย