Who plays in Midfield?

11 games to go and there is plenty of rotation in the midfield- (barring Sheron- just saying 😂) we bypass them at home, and if they do get the ball they’re all hopeless in possession. Away from home they have a footballing transplant and suddenly look better players. 

So. . .

Who is your midfield 3 for the run in? 

What role should they be given. 

Are you playing a settled 3 (barring injury) or do you keep rotating? 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So you’d play 5 5 and sack them all off? 😂

No 7 at the back is the starting point. 

I don't care who he plays in midfield it's up to Mellon to make it work, we need to have some width in the side, a mate of mine forever bangs on about BP being to wide for us and other teams love it. 

More important to the midfield success is having players with pace on the flanks, Green and Kitching either side of a back three gives us that, inside they are all much of a muchness but if we lined up at Wembley on Sunday I'd probably go with either Conlon or McGahey as the holding midfielder who we play through with Hammond and Sheron more advanced. Options are still sparse in there and if any of those are not at it we have few options, I'm hoping Lundstrum gets his shit together when he returns and is more positive and brave on the ball. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed Eddie. That’s my 3. 

Lundy gets nowhere near. 

Gardner and Magehy if need be. 

Honestly id have Gardner in more if he didnt have quavers for ankles. Only midfielder who creates space for himself frequently and has the vision n technique to be creative.

Hope Lundstram can find some form while competing for a place with Hammond. There is a player in there.

1 minute ago, LaticsEddie said:

Honestly id have Gardner in more if he didnt have quavers for ankles. Only midfielder who creates space for himself frequently and has the vision n technique to be creative.

Hope Lundstram can find some form while competing for a place with Hammond. There is a player in there.

Gardner has a tendency to over play it, as you say he's prone to breaking down as well, I don't think Mellon fancies/trusts him.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Gardner has a tendency to over play it, as you say he's prone to breaking down as well, I don't think Mellon fancies/trusts him.

I dont mind that as long as its not every other pass, which it isnt with Gardner. I'd rather a player with some intent at least. I remember him saying that Mellon encourages him to play that way so I think MM just doesn't trust the injury record rather than him as a player. IMO equally our most gifted and injury prone midfielder

• Like 1

I'd play conlon behind Sheron and Hammond. I'd have Sheron and Hammond effectively playing as a number 10s picking up second balls. If you look at the first goal on Tuesday it comes about from Sheron winning a second ball high up the pitch knocking it on to Garner and him using his experience and doing the rest. With 2 upfront and Sheron and Hammond high up the pitch you can really press teams high up the pitch centrally and push them back. Keep doing it I say.

Edited by GlossopLatic

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd play conlon behind Sheron and Hammond. I'd have Sheron and Hammond effectively playing as a number 10s picking up second balls. If you look at the first goal on Tuesday it comes about from Sheron winning a second ball gish up the pitch knocking it on to Garner and him using his experience and doing the rest. With 2 upfront and Sheron and Hammond high up the pitch you can really press teams high up the pitch centrally and push them back. Keep doing it I say.

If we are going to persist with the way we play, which we obviously will do, then we have ensure we are consistently winning the 2nd ball. Kidderminster was frustrating as we hardly won any, the ball was coming straight back at us each time. 

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If we are going to persist with the way we play, which we obviously will do, then we have ensure we are consistently winning the 2nd ball. Kidderminster was frustrating as we hardly won any, the ball was coming straight back at us each time. 

It's too late in the season to make radical changes but we can make a few tweaks which can get us up. Get Hammond and Sheron pressing high up the pitch we can win second balls and any team playing out from the back can be put under immediate pressure.

McGahey is the man in possession after the win over Eastleigh. Conlon is clearly a very good footballer but he was awful against Kidderminster (weren't they all).

Sometimes the best team is not necessarily your best eleven players. 

The midfield three against Eastleigh would stay for me until there's reason to change it. Would hope the three clear days between h=games means there's no need to rotate on Saturday.

After watching the Eastleigh game and listening to MM rave review of Macgahey 's midfield performance during his post match interview, then he won't change the midfield 3, not for the time being anyway. 

We had legs in midfield with Sheron and Hammond who both had some freedom to get forward get up the pitch and support the front 2, which then closed down their midfield and back 4, squeezing the space so the Eastleigh midfield couldn't dictate the play.  With Fondop and Garner you also have willing runners to support the press.  

If its not broken then don't fix it.  

Conlon and Norwood both on the bench for Saturday all being well it certainly gives us options. 

• Like 2

Mcgahey deserves to keep his place after Tuesday.I also think Conlon would be more effective playing further forward so wouldn’t mind him and Hammond eventually in front of Mcgahey.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:49 PM, League one forever said:

11 games to go and there is plenty of rotation in the midfield- (barring Sheron- just saying 😂) we bypass them at home, and if they do get the ball they’re all hopeless in possession. Away from home they have a footballing transplant and suddenly look better players. 

So. . .

Who is your midfield 3 for the run in? 

What role should they be given. 

Are you playing a settled 3 (barring injury) or do you keep rotating? 

https://www.facebook.com/share/xAUN7Lcr1FrWGgXi/

Get Alfie in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Exactly. Even though he’s young he’s physically up to it, certainly got a better physique than Hammond.

should certainly be ahead of Walker on the bench as a minimum.

Have you seen him play?

59 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Have you seen him play?

I have, he's a tough lad afraid of no one with a passion, desire and and skill set I've rarely seen in a youth.

Such is his ability I can't understand MM not considering him to start when far lesser players are shoe ins.

Actually I'd play both Atherton and Walker on the flanks, but MM is unwilling to change his preferred 5 centre backs so he's unlikely to do that.

As I've said before if it carries on like this we won't ever see him in the first team, he will go to an EPL club instead.