MATCH: Bromley (H) 05/03/24

Think some latics fans are still living in the dream were a league side. We played a team last night that not only got to the playoffs last season but have been in the top 3 all this .

we restricted them to very few chances and created 3-4 excellent chances ourselves especially in the first 15 mins. Yes the 2nd half was a bit turgid but although they stepped up a little Hudson  had little to do. Yeah you can argue poor finishing but so was ours in 1st half .

MM has made it clear that he doesn’t have a particular style of play but plays a style to suit the players he has and to try & win the game . This season after the DU spell we would all have taken a play off spot so who cares how it’s achieved. If we don’t go up this season I’m sure that MM will sort out what he needs in the summer.

Time to stop moaning and start supporting.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Please tell me you are not serious and you are saying these things just to fuel a debate??!!!

A manager has to come in mid-season, get rid or massively improve all the old under performing players and then every player he brings in either by loan or transfer has to immediately be perfect.

Ohh yes you are right!!! That happens with every other manager, so why not ours. I see it now that is plenty of time, MM out!!

There is no doubt though home  performances are worse than we've ever seen before and MM has to take the rap for that.

15 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Please tell me you are not serious and you are saying these things just to fuel a debate??!!!

A manager has to come in mid-season, get rid or massively improve all the old under performing players and then every player he brings in either by loan or transfer has to immediately be perfect.

Ohh yes you are right!!! That happens with every other manager, so why not ours. I see it now that is plenty of time, MM out!!

If that's what I had said you might have a point...

11 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

4 in 7 probably

Just what Alex Reid was doing then.

Perhaps he'd have better off putting his dummy back in over that and spent his budget elsewhere, he might not have alienated his main supply threat in Kitching in the process...

9 hours ago, doctor evil said:

Oh and can someone remind the ball boys what their job is. Won't move unless the ball is right next to them, lazy shits

Yes. Never mind the deficiencies in the team, it is about time we got some new ball boys as they move at the speed of arthritic hamsters with some heavy shopping. We waste so much time getting the ball back that it breaks up any momentum.  At one point Hudson had to get a new ball because the lad in the Chaddy End couldn't find the ball when it had only gone 4 rows back!

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Just what Alex Reid was doing then.

Perhaps he'd have better off putting his dummy back in over that and spent his budget elsewhere, he might not have alienated his main supply threat in Kitching in the process...

Alex Reid is a totally different player to Stones and Garner, but I get his GPG is similar. Problem is, Reid has been reprimanded for multiple violations of his contract regarding social media use and has now been told he doesn’t have a future at the club, Mellon would be weak to go and back track on that. Even more so considering Norwood is back from injury and we have a full supply of strikers.

as for Kitching; correlation doesn’t always equal causation. He’s not a wing back and so I’m not surprised his form has dropped. To question his professionalism because his mate broke his contract is clutching at straws

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If that's what I had said you might have a point...

You have mentioned in previous posts he has had "plenty of time" and "made 7-8 signings" indicating all these signings should have worked.

So I read that as exactly what you said. I just jokingly agreed with you as I assumed you were also joking also. No?

3 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

Alex Reid is a totally different player to Stones and Garner, but I get his GPG is similar. Problem is, Reid has been reprimanded for multiple violations of his contract regarding social media use and has now been told he doesn’t have a future at the club, Mellon would be weak to go and back track on that. Even more so considering Norwood is back from injury and we have a full supply of strikers.

as for Kitching; correlation doesn’t always equal causation. He’s not a wing back and so I’m not surprised his form has dropped. To question his professionalism because his mate broke his contract is clutching at straws

You are right Kitching is no wing back neither are any of our right backs, the answer is 442, but MM with his multiple centre backs just won't play that tactic.

Edited by BP1960

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There is no doubt though home  performances are worse than we've ever seen before and MM has to take the rap for that.

I agree it is bad at home. I was replying to the "plenty of time" comment, which if was genuine is why undue and unfair extra pressure is put on managers too soon.

I have assumed it was a wind up

8 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

You have mentioned in previous posts he has had "plenty of time" and "made 7-8 signings" indicating all these signings should have worked.

So I read that as exactly what you said. I just jokingly agreed with you as I assumed you were also joking also. No?

Of course not every signing works out, my point was in response to the idea that he is working with scraps and hasn't had the time to do anything in the transfer market.

15 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I agree it is bad at home. I was replying to the "plenty of time" comment, which if was genuine is why undue and unfair extra pressure is put on managers too soon.

I have assumed it was a wind up

You haven't attended every home game I assume?

The manager has had ample time to sort out the problem but just repeats the same turgid tactics over and over again.

Edited by BP1960

48 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are right Kitching is no wing back neither are any of our right backs, the answer is 442, but MM with his multiple centre backs just won't play that tactic.

Interested to hear who you would drop from the CB trio? I'm struggling personally.

A lot of teams play with 3-5-2 in this league and so I'd favour a 4-3-3, if we were to change. Keep the 3 centre halves occupied with runners and still keep a 3 in midfield as I think it would to be our detriment to revert to 2 in the middle. 

5 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We aren’t going to drop the three centre backs. It keeps us strong at the back. I think only Bromley and Halifax have conceded less.

We are talking about home games and fans deserting as a result of the tactics.

A point gained said MM today when he should have said 2 points lost.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We are talking about home games and fans deserting as a result of the tactics.

A point gained said MM today when he should have said 2 points lost.

We were playing second in the league. We aren’t going to change formula which has got us to 5th…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Funny how almost all posting within an hour of the match ending come out with total drivel.

McGahey, as crude as he is, only gets that spot because without him our back line is constantly exposed to waves of attacks. He plugs the hole and prevents Sheron from naturally dropping deep (Where he's at his worst). If you can't see what McGahey brings to the team in that respect then you're a moran IMO. It's not pretty, but we're a far more resolute team who will compete and battle against the physical teams of the division. When your key midfield signings of last summer don't even make the bench (with one out on loan), it illustrates what a terrible job was done in that area. 

Shit, scrappy match, which is what the opposition dictated, and to come away with a point is some kind of progress. Can easily see us losing those type of matches previously. The play offs is six teams from eight now with Alty winning. Next two matches are crucial with four points minimum the aim.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Great post. 

Who else is there to break up play and sit in front of the back four.  

Lundy

Conlon

Sheron

None of them can do it. 

MaGahey isn’t playing because he’s pirlo in disguise he’s playing because there’s no one else. 

So basically we are playing 6 at the back at home because Mcghahey is needed to plug the gaps and break up play that 5 defenders can't cope with, we were playing at times last night with four centrehalfs, two full backs and Conlon and Sheron on the centre backs toes, as a result the only ball out was a 60 yard cross field punt that we had to hope stuck to Norwood and Garner (which invariably it didn't). 

Now I know some will argue we haven't the players but I'm getting the feeling this is what Mellon is asking them to do, where was the outball last night, where were the legs and the willing runners, three of our most effective players in recent weeks were left out and replaced with players who couldn't match their performances, I know Green was injured but where was the attacking intent out wide, Walker not even in the matchday squad despite being fit to play, Atherton can't get a sniff even from the bench because Micky doesn't trust you unless your 35. Hammond whose ran at teams in recent weeks dropped and Dallas looks like a raffle winner who needs game time but you couldn't trust him to give you anything.

It was dire again yet most of our fans are celebrating the fact we've took a good point off fucking Bromley at home, really. A point a game at home under Mellon is embarrassing, that's not progress as evidenced by the piss poor crowd again last night.

Finally if McGahey is the answer we're fucked, Mellons had ample opportunity to bring in the players we need but we still look absolutely devoid of ideas and attacking intent, we were told by all those ITK that we'd play better against the better teams in the division at home, well I think that myths been debunked, it's awful, mind numbingly shite to watch us at home yet Mellon continues to stick to his guns churning out the same shite week after week and is that stubborn he'll stick to his guns, if the away form slips at any stage we'll probably slip out of the playoffs which is criminal really given the money being blown on this squad.

• Like 1

I’ve resigned myself to these mind numbingly boring tactics at home as a means to an end. Basically, if it somehow results in a promotion out of this division in May it will all have been worth it.

However, I will not accept these sort of tactics if they continue into next season, whatever division we are in!

• Like 2

It seems people are becoming impatient..

Relax guys , the club has been taken ( from a combo of poor management and poor recruitment, to the brink of extinction.

Things take time , we'll get there..

Edited by ghost of Leonard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve resigned myself to these mind numbingly boring tactics at home as a means to an end. Basically, if it somehow results in a promotion out of this division in May it will all have been worth it.

However, I will not accept these sort of tactics if they continue into next season, whatever division we are in!

2 points away and 1 at home isn't a formula many managers will use for success.

1 hour ago, Bluemood said:

Think some latics fans are still living in the dream were a league side. We played a team last night that not only got to the playoffs last season but have been in the top 3 all this .

we restricted them to very few chances and created 3-4 excellent chances ourselves especially in the first 15 mins. Yes the 2nd half was a bit turgid but although they stepped up a little Hudson  had little to do. Yeah you can argue poor finishing but so was ours in 1st half .

MM has made it clear that he doesn’t have a particular style of play but plays a style to suit the players he has and to try & win the game . This season after the DU spell we would all have taken a play off spot so who cares how it’s achieved. If we don’t go up this season I’m sure that MM will sort out what he needs in the summer.

Time to stop moaning and start supporting.

Great Post. 100% agree. Christ some oldham fans are living on planet Zorg. 5PM is doing a very good job. We are on track to be in the playoffs. If he was here from the start we'd be comfortably top 3.

He has added a steel to us that gives us a decent shout in the playoffs.

OK its not pretty at times, but you know what, we just need promotion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Agreed.

Only my opinion but my money would be on us staying where we are,the team isn't strong enough just yet.

Next season we should all be hoping for top spot, with a few signings I think we will go  for it..

Edited by ghost of Leonard

We have to play 3 centre backs as we are overloaded with centre backs, we don’t have a competent midfield combination for either a 2 or a 3, hence McGahey plays the holding role and we have no wide players. We have overloaded on strikers so we also can’t play wide players as it means a striker drops out, but even if we wanted to we don’t have the wide players to do it. 

People just need to accept we are a compact team that will try and battle in games. We will just hope the quality of the strikers see us over the line. 

How many goals have the wing backs scored? The centre backs ? Only Sheron has chipped in with a few goals from midfield. It’s pretty poor really. 

Until we get the balance of the squad correct, this is us. The crazy thing is, it might even be enough to get out this shit league. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

So basically we are playing 6 at the back at home because Mcghahey is needed to plug the gaps and break up play that 5 defenders can't cope with, we were playing at times last night with four centrehalfs, two full backs and Conlon and Sheron on the centre backs toes, as a result the only ball out was a 60 yard cross field punt that we had to hope stuck to Norwood and Garner (which invariably it didn't). 

Now I know some will argue we haven't the players but I'm getting the feeling this is what Mellon is asking them to do, where was the outball last night, where were the legs and the willing runners, three of our most effective players in recent weeks were left out and replaced with players who couldn't match their performances, I know Green was injured but where was the attacking intent out wide, Walker not even in the matchday squad despite being fit to play, Atherton can't get a sniff even from the bench because Micky doesn't trust you unless your 35. Hammond whose ran at teams in recent weeks dropped and Dallas looks like a raffle winner who needs game time but you couldn't trust him to give you anything.

It was dire again yet most of our fans are celebrating the fact we've took a good point off fucking Bromley at home, really. A point a game at home under Mellon is embarrassing, that's not progress as evidenced by the piss poor crowd again last night.

Finally if McGahey is the answer we're fucked, Mellons had ample opportunity to bring in the players we need but we still look absolutely devoid of ideas and attacking intent, we were told by all those ITK that we'd play better against the better teams in the division at home, well I think that myths been debunked, it's awful, mind numbingly shite to watch us at home yet Mellon continues to stick to his guns churning out the same shite week after week and is that stubborn he'll stick to his guns, if the away form slips at any stage we'll probably slip out of the playoffs which is criminal really given the money being blown on this squad.

To come in mid-season, perform open heart surgery on a bloated squad that just isn't fit for the physicality of non-league football and get us into a play-off berth is not 'ample time' to present a Chesterfield-esque dominating machine to our long-suffering home supporters.

MM has tried setting us up in a more attacking way which failed miserably in the first half vs Boreham Wood. He has been open and honest to deduce that the players he has inherited simply don't have the quality or consistency to be able to execute an attacking, free-flowing gameplan.

As has said before, McGahey is simply an adequate stopgap to ensure our back line isn't exposed. I feel we've the best centre halves in the division, but they're no good if an opposition payer is allowed to waltz straight through to the edge of our penalty area unchallenged. The results of which, whilst ugly, are yielding enough results to keep us in a play-off place.

I'm hopeful the team we can put on the pitch next season, further cleansed by MM and GB's judgement will result in a more attractive proposition. I'm happy to put up with it in the meantime as a means to get us competing in the play-offs.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

You haven't attended every home game I assume?

The manager has had ample time to sort out the problem but just repeats the same turgid tactics over and over again.

I have been to every home game and a few away.

The football is bad at home , I have never denied that .

I assume you have seen a lot of football in general over the years and so must know how difficult it is to sort out a terrible mis-managed team.

MM is trying to make us hard to beat and it is not working yet at home, no-one can deny that, it is away though so there is progress, but for you to come to the conclusion he has had ample time to sort it is laughable.

Why after all these years of struggle are we thinking this manager will change it in a few months? What is the alternative? Another manager? Who? Where are these great managers waiting in the wings to give us fast, dynamic winning football within a week of appointment?

We have tried every combination of manager. None have worked. I feel this one will but only when given ample time which at the moment he hasn't had.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I have been to every home game and a few away.

The football is bad at home , I have never denied that .

I assume you have seen a lot of football in general over the years and so must know how difficult it is to sort out a terrible mis-managed team.

MM is trying to make us hard to beat and it is not working yet at home, no-one can deny that, it is away though so there is progress, but for you to come to the conclusion he has had ample time to sort it is laughable.

Why after all these years of struggle are we thinking this manager will change it in a few months? What is the alternative? Another manager? Who? Where are these great managers waiting in the wings to give us fast, dynamic winning football within a week of appointment?

We have tried every combination of manager. None have worked. I feel this one will but only when given ample time which at the moment he hasn't had.

You are missing my point, he's had ample time to change the failed home tactics, but refuses to do so.

They have proven to work well away so keep them for those matches, but not at home. Attacking the opposition with 2 wingers and direct  running  central midfielder is my suggestion.

Edited by BP1960