MATCH: Bromley (H) 05/03/24

39 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

So basically we are playing 6 at the back at home because Mcghahey is needed to plug the gaps and break up play that 5 defenders can't cope with, we were playing at times last night with four centrehalfs, two full backs and Conlon and Sheron on the centre backs toes, as a result the only ball out was a 60 yard cross field punt that we had to hope stuck to Norwood and Garner (which invariably it didn't)

Except for the part where we played well for half hour and created two great chances. 

42 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

yet most of our fans are celebrating the fact we've took a good point off fucking Bromley at home, really. A point a game at home under Mellon is embarrassing, that's not progress as evidenced by the piss poor crowd again last night.

The only embarrassing thing is rubbish like this Yardy. Literally no one is celebrating, you’re just making stuff up there for you rant. Yet again, you are concentrating solely on home games. His progress isn’t measured by home games only it’s measured by Home and away. The fact this constantly needs repeating is utterly mind blowing. 

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Finally if McGahey is the answer we're fucked, Mellons had ample opportunity to bring in the players we need but we still look absolutely devoid of ideas and attacking intent, we were told by all those ITK that we'd play better against the better teams in the division at home, well I think that myths been debunked, it's awful, mind numbingly shite to watch us at home yet Mellon continues to stick to his guns churning out the same shite week after week and is that stubborn he'll stick to his guns, if the away form slips at any stage we'll probably slip out of the playoffs which is criminal really given the money being blown on this squad.

No one said MaGahey is the answer, we’ve said he’s a stop gap. People wanted the oppo to stop waltzing through the midfield, Mellon sorts that- and then gets slated for it. 

Lastly. 

I genuinely don’t know why you and BP go to home games- all you do is absolutely slate everything about us. You offer no balance on the away games. Or acknowledge the bigger picture. All while knowing full well the manager has openly said he wants to play this way, and has a proven track record of success doing it. I don’t understand why anybody would do something that gives them so much displeasure. 

We’re 5th, have great owners and all some want to do is moan moan moan. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Of course not every signing works out, my point was in response to the idea that he is working with scraps and hasn't had the time to do anything in the transfer market.

I agree I am a bit disappointed with how some of the signings have played but your post implied you felt he had enough time to have sorted it all out. He hasn't.

Some will fail. That happens to every manager

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We are talking about home games and fans deserting as a result of the tactics.

Only one person is talking about that. Repeatedly.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are missing my point, he's had ample time to change the failed home tactics, but refuses to do so.

They have proven to work well away so keep them for those matches, but not at home. Attacking the opposition with 2 wingers and direct  running  central midfielder is my suggestion.

This is sometimes the problem with these posts as I think you are missing mine as well.

I would love attacking football exactly how you describe it but I still don't think we have enough quality players to do that yet, so we have got to become hard to beat first.

One of his signings in Conlon I thought would fit straight into that attack minded midfielder, but it hasn't quite worked yet but don't write it off so quickly

Again I agree with you it's not working yet, but to say he has had enough time to sort it is the bit I keep challenging. We have got to support him to get it right and your comments don't help with that.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

My impression is MM is so scared of losing home games he's happy with draws, which is why we saw McGahey sat in front of the back 3 and the wing backs deeper as the game wore on.

We need to be bold and  play attacking footbal to win home  games, not hoof it upfield only for the opposition to set up play again.

Ain’t gonna happen. We need to just suck it up. 

12 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

This is sometimes the problem with these posts as I think you are missing mine as well.

I would love attacking football exactly how you describe it but I still don't think we have enough quality players to do that yet, so we have got to become hard to beat first.

One of his signings in Conlon I thought would fit straight into that attack minded midfielder, but it hasn't quite worked yet but don't write it off so quickly

Again I agree with you it's not working yet, but to say he has had enough time to sort it is the bit I keep challenging. We have got to support him to get it right and your comments don't help with that.

A blind person could see that we needed a right back, a left sided midfielder, a proper defensive central midfielder.

The idea that he hasn't had time just doesn't stack up.

45 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are missing my point, he's had ample time to change the failed home tactics, but refuses to do so.

They have proven to work well away so keep them for those matches, but not at home. Attacking the opposition with 2 wingers and direct  running  central midfielder is my suggestion.

I'd wager his experience at getting out of this league trumps even someone as highly qualified as yourself though, BP. And whilst it may be a blunt instrument it's inarguably working right now. It could work better, it will or won't, but it's working. 

Anyone who has worked in, for, or with a dysfunctional team in their professional lives know how utterly infuriating it can be trying to change it - something which takes considerable time even when you're able to make personnel changes.

I think the broken record "change the system it fixes everything" angle is just that - broken. We can, should, do better - but the idea that a change in formation and playing a child in midfield will solve all problems and have us pip Chesterfield to first is bonkers. And yes, of course I am exaggerating the point for silliness's sake.   

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A blind person could see that we needed a right back

Sachdev

a left sided midfielder

Walker

a proper defensive central midfielder.

People were crying out for creativity not defensive therefore Conlon/Hammond

• Like 2

A blind person could see that we needed a right back, a left sided midfielder, a proper defensive central midfielder.

The idea that he hasn't had time just doesn't stack up.

He probably does but it doesn't necessarily mean he can get them.

You can't just magic up sufficiently decent players to fill those slots. Come on you know that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LaticsEddie said:

Sachdev

Walker

People were crying out for creativity not defensive therefore Conlon/Hammond

Sachdev a RWB. Who knows what Walker is, does he even exist. Mellon teams don't play with creativity so doubt that was on the wishlist.

3 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

He probably does but it doesn't necessarily mean he can get them.

You can't just magic up sufficiently decent players to fill those slots. Come on you know that.

He had time to get two strikers that arguably weren't needed so again I just can’t buy into that line of defence.

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He had time to get two strikers that arguably weren't needed so again I just can’t buy into that line of defence.

We most definitely did need Garner when Norwood was injured, still need him now, need 4 strikers to pick from. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Really? You think it is that easy? I wish I could live in your black and white world :) 

Many factors come into play before a signing can be done, some you get over the line and I would say a lot fail.

I was curious. As it stands (lies lies and damned statistics not withstanding) MM has the highest Points Per Game of any Latics manager ever (>19 games managed).

Fucking shit. Get rid. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I was curious. As it stands (lies lies and damned statistics not withstanding) MM has the highest Points Per Game of any Latics manager ever. Period.

Fucking shit. Get rid. 

To be fair the previous managers would have had better records if they'd replied to their emails.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I was curious. As it stands (lies lies and damned statistics not withstanding) MM has the highest Points Per Game of any Latics manager ever (>19 games managed).

Fucking shit. Get rid. 

Has anyone said get rid of him, by the way...?

I definately didnt say get rid but I was critical of our home peformance, lack of identity and of how woeful it is to watch.

At the end of the day we are 5th and luckily we are winning away which has helped our play off position.

From what I read and hear, many fans are frustrated at our home tacticts ( or lack of ) and lack of entertainment. 

Many fans are also saying so be it, pretty much happy that we have Frank and we are in with a chance of promotion no matter how we get there.

Nobody is right or wrong, just different opinions and beliefs of how we should be approaching home games.

We all want the same outcome and if MM gets is up great and well done.

Just hope we can start to play a bit of football at home, if not this season then surely next.

• Like 1

The football is shit, it’s not the football MM wants to play, he has literally said that himself. But considering since Unsworth has left we have been either playoff form, or in the playoffs, then I don’t see why he should change it. 

First 15 mins we knocked it around nicely yesterday, best I have seen us play. Garner should have scored. 

• Like 2

The number 1 short term goal of the manager is clearly not to play attacking football to entertain our home fans. It's to get promoted this season. I'm sure he's not happy with the home form, but when he came in the realistic best we could have hoped for is promotion via the playoffs. He's got us into the playoffs, we're picking up enough points regularly to stay in them and we've got a manager and a number of players who have play off and promotion winning experience.

Next season will bring about different goals. But for now it's about one thing only however that needs to come about. We should all know that by now, Mellon refers to it often enoguh, so I really don't see the point in having the same meltdown after every home game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1